Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

Hello,

Not Fingerstyle...... Fingerpicking.

Any recommendations for an adult student in interested in this style?

Somebody who likes Bob Dylan , Peter , Paul and , Bruce Cockburn, Simon and Garfunkel

so I'm wondering if there are newer better materials/method books

TIA

Bill Godwin

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

for Travis style fingerpicking, Mark Hanson has some good books and instructional media

Taught a bunch of lessons out of this one back in the day: http://www.amazon.com/Fingerpicking-.../dp/0825603439

It's great, fun stuff. Not really a method method.
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 07-29-2015 at 06:58 PM.

Stuart thanks that was the name I couldn't remembered

Matt thanks for your reply will check it out

Yep actually have both....somewhere!!

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Elliott View Post
    for Travis style fingerpicking, Mark Hanson has some good books and instructional media
    Didn't know his name, but looking back and trying to remember this book... http://www.amazon.com/Paul-Simon-Tra...+garfunkel+tab realized he's the author. Knew him and didn't know it I guess.

Taught a student out of that one for many weeks as well.

Teaching long hours can be mentally draining, but honestly, playing through music like either of those books is just pure joy. Have fun!

User Info Menu

I strongly recommend going to a Teacher and learning "Travis Picking" as this opens the door to a lot of really nice Styles.

Without getting into Semantics- this exact Technique or Style can be heard on songs like " Helplessly Hoping" Crosby Stills and Nash

"The Boxer" by Simon and Garfunkel

"Julia " The Beatles

This Style or Technique makes almost any chord sequence on a nice toned Acoustic or Nylon String or even Electric sound like much more than it is.

"Helplessly Hoping" is just simple first position chords but listen to how beautiful it sounds....

Audition the Teacher first ask on the Phone Then at first lesson or before-make sure he can easily do it and move chords around at will while doing so....it's not that hard but a little tricky to learn...once you have it down it's easy and you can do variations etc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Elliott View Post
    I spent a few weeks with a Hanson book (via inter-library loan) and thought it good. Now that I've got my picking in shape, I'll want to work a bit more on Travis picking---I do love that sound.

Robot Check
    "Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

There's some good beginner lessons on YouTube, search for "Travis Picking".

Here's a Mark Knopfler interview about the evolution of his fingerpicking.

User Info Menu

There is a lot of beautiful fingerpicking and regular strummed Guitar together on Cat Stevens Albums.

I saw him once with a Fingerstyle Player named Alun Davies and Cat Stevens is a very precise Player ( for a singer) like on 'Wide World' he does the strums and the riffs..the other Guy does the other parts.

I actually did all those parts backing a really good Singer who also played Guitar..
    The Guy could sing like Neil Young or McCartney way up high then do James Taylor etc..we even did harmonized fingerpicking...it was some fun Gigs...years ago and we did some Cat Stevens - I loved those Guitar Parts on Cat Stevens first few Albums.
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 01-06-2016 at 06:30 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MaxTwang View Post
    There's some good beginner lessons on YouTube, search for "Travis Picking".

Here's a Mark Knopfler interview about the evolution of his fingerpicking.

Now if I could play like Blind Blake, I'd truly call myself a guitarist - though I probably wouldn't have the time to do so ... truly awesome, and an inspiration. Thanks for that.

User Info Menu

check