Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

"if only the best singing bird was allowed to sing in the forest, think how silent the woods would be"?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

One of my favourites is Jobim's 'Passarim'. The final chord with all the voices is magical.

It's about the destruction of the forests, so some 'serious' bossa!

Last edited by grahambop; 05-27-2015 at 07:20 PM.

User Info Menu

A few years ago a poll was run among a bunch a brazilian artists and journalists to select the 100 best brazilian songs.
    I couldn't find a URL for that, but I remember that Antonio Carlos Jobim owned 8 of the 10 top ones. Not sure the following list correctly reflects the results of the poll, as I wroite it on top of my head.

1 Girl from Ipanema
    2 Chega de Saudade
    3 Desafinado
    4 Waters of March
    5 Insensatez
    6 Corcovado
    7 Triste
    8 Wave
    9 Bim Bom
    10 One Note Samba

Of course "best" can be interpreted in different ways as it is a matter of taste
    - best known around the world
    - most played around the world
    - best musical quality, whatever that means.

The meaning of "quality" also depends on the playing artist and education/taste of the listener. For me it relates to the perceived feelings and emotion I feel when listening to the song.

In that respect, Triste is my favorite.

Another of my favorite in that respect is "Insensitive" by Jobim and Sting, specially because it's the last recording of Jobim and because of all the related feelings the song raises.

When listening to it, one is struck by the tired sound of Jobim's voice, the perfect matching of Sting's a bit raspy voice. Both voices well in sync with the sadness of the song, the sparse piano notes Jobim plays - very much characteristic of Jobim playing style, and the duration of the last note played by Jobim.

A perfect tribute to Jobim who will always be remembered. Worth listening to the lyrics with that in mind.

Perfection is in the Details, but Perfection isn't a Detail (Leonardo da Vinci)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by richb2 View Post

Elis Regina and Jobim !!

Wow - - glad you mentioned her and included that particular vid. Talk about a rock star ! Her bio is available to read on her site. She loved Brazil so, she didn't want to leave. Then got on the wrong side of the ruling party and tried to get out but wasn't allowed.
    There are vid's of her funeral that show as large a crowd as had ever turned out for a Brazilian funeral ceremony.

And her music and that smile- - absolute magic !

Thanks again for including that video !

User Info Menu

This song has been a favourtie of mine for some time.

Has someone figured out the voicings he's using
    This is what I got so far:

Intro:
    Gm7/Ab 4x333x, x4 measures

Part 1:
    Bbmaj7 x1323x or 6x776x. (Gm7/Ab when preceded by intro)
    Gm7/Ab 4x333x
    Gm6 3x233x
    Cm7/Gb 2x131x

Part 2
    Bbmaj7/F 1x323x
    E9 x7677x, 0x677x
    Ebmaj7 x6556x, x6575x, x68786, x6544x
    Ab13 4x4566

part 3
    Bbmaj7 x1323x or 6x776x (Bbmaj7/F when preceded by part 1)
    Fm, Bb7 (not sure about voicings or tensions, piano is quite aggressive here)
    Ebmaj7 (same as in part 2)
    Ebm7 x6x676 (probably some more?).

These three parts are then played in some order that seems somehow chaotic. I have at least not figured out a pattern yet.

Sure there are more voicings, but this seems to be the nitty gritty of it.
    Does anyone have anything add?
    Last edited by orri; 06-22-2015 at 03:16 AM.

User Info Menu

I use the voicings published in the Tom Jobim song book by Almir Chediak, with some slight variants or additions I perform more or less randomly along the way.

I don't feel able to publicly distribute a scan of the related pages (pp 26-34), but you might find and buy his books somewhere using an Internet search. These are the bible of bossa nova songs.

User Info Menu

........And Susannah McCorkle also absolutely nailed it, and in English, w/some Portuguese. On YouTube.

........That said, there probably isn't much she didn't always ' absolutely nail ' !

..And RIP Susannah as well !!

We have recently lost our portuguese singing vocalist. Not a big deal since she was only with us for about 6 weeks. Now i have a bass player who was with us for just one week tell me that he needs to move to Florida. Man this is strange.....
    "if only the best singing bird was allowed to sing in the forest, think how silent the woods would be"?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by richb2 View Post
    We have recently lost our portuguese singing vocalist. Not a big deal since she was only with us for about 6 weeks. Now i have a bass player who was with us for just one week tell me that he needs to move to Florida. Man this is strange.....

...whatever you're doing with a Portuguese singer, try to keep doing it !......that language is incredible, and the right music along with it is worth the fight !!..I'm sure you know already that, this is just my way of saying ' stay at it '.

...good luck, good luck !

User Info Menu

The following will probably help you to come up with some voicings of yours

1) A verse from Chediak's book (one half tone higher)

B/A 5x444x // E' pau --- A stick
    G#m6 4x344x
    Em6/G 3x242x
    B7M/F# 2x130x

F7(#11) 1x120x // vidro
    E7M 0x644x
    Em6 0x542x
    B7M/F# 2x130x
    F#m7 2x425x
    B7 x2424x

C#7/E# 12x12x // I like this one
    Em6 0x542x
    B7M/F# 2x130x
    F#m7 2x425x
    B7 x2424x
    C#7/ E# 12x12x

Em6 0x542x // profundo
    B7M/F# 2x130x
    F#m7 2x425x
    B7 x2424x
    C#7/ E# 12x12x
    Em6 0x542x

B7M/F# 2x130x
    F#m7 2x425x
    B7 x2424x
    C#7/ E# 12x12x
    Em6 0x542x
    B7M/F# 2x130x E o pé // 2nd verse

2)
    in same pitch you used: http://www.cifras.com.br/cifra/tom-j...guas-de-marco/
    Last edited by mhch; 06-23-2015 at 12:04 PM.

destinytot Guest
    Two faves - exile and love

Another take on Águas de Março:

User Info Menu

There are some beautiful Brazilians songs that were influenced by Bossa Nova movement. IMHO this one is amazing.
    If you don't like the learning process you probably know less than you could.
    Learning Brazilian Guitar

User Info Menu

Catchy melody!

User Info Menu

I've been a great fan of Brazilian Bossa for many years. I love all the songs mentioned above. I do like Milton Nascimento's version of 'Bridges' ,which I first heard in the early 1970's.A musician friend had been Buenos Aires on a boat, hit the record shops, and came back with a very nice, early Milton album, which I now have. The very nice bossa style rhythm guitar backing can be heard. A great song. Give it a listen on Youtube.One of the best Bossa Nova tunes of all time-milton-nascimento-courage-jpg

Michael Franks song about Jobim (one of many of his).