The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

Could I get some recommendations for Chet Atkins albums from early stuff to later stuff?
    Thanks in advance.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

albums with Les Paul, Merle Travis, Jerry Reed, Mark Knopfler, and Tommy Emmanuel.

Essential two-CD, 40-track career-spanning retrospective.

Jazz from the Hills and After the Riot at Newport are Atkins most jazzy performances.

Solo Flights solo playing by Chet with half the tunes on octabass, low e and a strings replaced with bass strings. Jazz and pop tunes.

Several multi-disc collections if you really want to get into Chet: Galloping Guitar: The Early Years (4 CDs from Bear Family); RCA Years 1947-1981 (81 cuts picked by Chet), and The Early Years 1946-1957 (5 CDs from JSP). There's probably overlap between these, and also the Essentials set.

User Info Menu

+1 on the previous suggestions especially Galloping Guitar. If you are looking for stand alone albums, "Hi-Fi In Focus" has Chet's version of Walk Don't Run. "Chet Atkins Picks on The Beatles" is also very cool.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hanktx
    +1 on the previous suggestions especially Galloping Guitar. If you are looking for stand alone albums, "Hi-Fi In Focus" has Chet's version of Walk Don't Run. "Chet Atkins Picks on The Beatles" is also very cool.

....Chet Atkins Picks on the Beatles, with liner notes by George Harrison. Lots of memories. My old guitar teacher transcribed several of those, when that album first came out........They remain a decent study of just how good Chet Atkins was at interpreting a melody..

Glad you mentioned it !!

User Info Menu

I especially like his recordings with Les Paul. There is one where they sound like a couple of old pals goofing around the studio playing what they love and someone decided to roll tape. The banter between them is priceless.

User Info Menu

Standard Brands, the album with Lenny Breau is pretty cool too.

User Info Menu

The Master and His Music as well as The Day Fingerpickers Took Over The World (with Tommy Emmanuel) are both fine listening. As mentioned above, Chet Atkins Picks on the Beatles is a fine treat.

Do not overlook his collaborations with Jerry Reed; as much as I like Les Paul, the Reed collaborations are exceptional.

User Info Menu

And if you are into guitar books, Chet Atkins's 'Me and my Guitars' is a pretty good read too......He also had John D'A build him one......

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll start digging through these on Amazon.

User Info Menu

Chet's 'Finger Style' LP is excellent - some pop & classical tunes, including this little gem. 'Solo Flights' has a nice treatment of, 'When You Wish Upon A Star.'

User Info Menu

Chet was an early gateway to the guitar for me back in the late 50s and early 60s along with Duane Eddy, The Ventures and Johnny Smith. The first albums of his that I owned were At Home, Workshop and HiFi in focus, the latter two I still have on the original vinyl.

At first I thought everything was overdubbed. The first Chet songs I learned in his style were Trambone, Windy and Warm and Sleep. Eventually I learned about open G tuning and played Cloudy and Cool and From Nashville with love, and after a lot of frustration, Yankee Doodle Dixie.

I have mentioned this on other forums, but I still remember I was driving around St. Louis on a lunch break from flight training when it was announced on the radio that he died. I pulled off to the side of the road and cried.

User Info Menu

Not sure how I would rate it. When I was young, I know I spend an incredible amount of time listening to "Lovers Guitar" where he uses a nylon string guitar.

Danielle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dave70
    Standard Brands, the album with Lenny Breau is pretty cool too.
    Amazon shows this for 98 bucks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohnoL
    Amazon shows this for 98 bucks.
    You can look it up on youtube I suppose.

User Info Menu

The two instrumental albums he made with Jerry Reed are both superb - they're called 'Me and Jerry' and 'Me and Chet' - pared down accompaniments, lots of jamming, some standout tracks with great playing from all concerned.

User Info Menu

I probably listen to the one he made with Mark Knopfler the most.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    And if you are into guitar books, Chet Atkins's 'Me and my Guitars' is a pretty good read too......He also had John D'A build him one......
    That's an excellent book.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Archtop Bill
    The Master and His Music as well as The Day Fingerpickers Took Over The World (with Tommy Emmanuel) are both fine listening. As mentioned above, Chet Atkins Picks on the Beatles is a fine treat.

Do not overlook his collaborations with Jerry Reed; as much as I like Les Paul, the Reed collaborations are exceptional.
    Definitely.

User Info Menu

Very difficult to find but in my opinion one his best (and my favorite) : Chet Atkins Goes To the Movies. Mid 70's and I believe a collaboration with Guitar Player Mag. But all of the other recommendations in this thread are good ones too

Chet Atkins best albums-goestomovies-jpg

Also, East Tennesse Christmas has some nice guitar on it.
    Last edited by va3ux; 05-22-2015 at 11:02 PM.

User Info Menu

Almost Alone is very good.