The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 39

User Info Menu

This was posted in another thread ("talented youngsters") and I've been watching on repeat and it just blows me away:

True there's not much guitar, but the harmony, rhythm, execution, creativity, is all extremely impressive especially for somebody who's only 18. Halfway through he comes on bass, piano, percussion, drum kit, and a bunch of other instruments.

Every element of this is just nuts to me! I might take a whack at transcribing the harmonies around 1:55

I feel like he has a better ear for harmony and rhythm than most guitarists 10 years older than him, hah!

This one was cool too, though I could do without the melodica:

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Very nice. Anybody know where I can get the tab?
    Very fresh. Great find Jake, thanks for sharing
    David

User Info Menu

Yeah, after this was posted in the other thread, I showed it and others from the same kid to my boys (3 and 7) to try to get them excited about playing music. They loved it!

User Info Menu

You want that guy in your band, don't you!

User Info Menu

Btw, I just went to his website. Here are some quotes:
    Blown away” – Quincy Jones
    “Wow, Jacob. Your stuff is amazing.” – Herbie Hancock
    “I am a big fan… great chords, great arrangments, great singing!” – Pat Metheny
    “So much musical enjoyment and inspiration… Your music is legend, Jacob” – Peter Erskine
    “Blown away” – Steve Vai
    “The 8th wonder of the world” – Incognito
    “The most talented kid on Earth today” – K.D. Lang
    “Ridiculously creative, and wonderfully sung!!! LOVE to hear this kind of stuff.” – Claude McKnight, Take 6
    “DUDE!!! You are just BEYOND!!!” – Mark Kibble, Take 6
    “Genius” – Mervyn Warren
    “A unique and brilliant talent…absolutely fantastic!” – Leslie Bricusse (Composer of ‘Pure Imagination’)

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz
    Very nice. Anybody know where I can get the tab?
    Hah! I think he uses some combination of chord tones and notes that are not chord tones.

User Info Menu

He should start a band with Esperanza Spalding:

User Info Menu

inspiring!...every so often i find youtube vids done by youngsters, jazz and/or other genres, which make me shout YAY!!...this certainly is one of them...thanks for sharing it!

User Info Menu

Not to derail, but the Esperanza Spaulding track is awesome. It's so nice to hear a group with a singer that actually lets people take extended solos.

User Info Menu

If I had only heard the audio, I would have thought I was listening to Take 6 (the 10 time Grammy award winning gospel vocal sextet).

Quote Originally Posted by JakeAcci
    This was posted in another thread ("talented youngsters") and I've been watching on repeat and it just blows me away:

True there's not much guitar, but the harmony, rhythm, execution, creativity, is all extremely impressive especially for somebody who's only 18. Halfway through he comes on bass, piano, percussion, drum kit, and a bunch of other instruments.

Every element of this is just nuts to me! I might take a whack at transcribing the harmonies around 1:55

I feel like he has a better ear for harmony and rhythm than most guitarists 10 years older than him, hah!

User Info Menu

Can somebody tell me why this kid isn't selling out concerts worldwide, but Justin Bieber has been?

"Justin Bieber has been". I kinda like that phrase........

User Info Menu

I stumbled on this kid quite a while ago when I did a Youtube search for Pure Imagination. He's obviously got some extraordinary talent. I want to point out though that it is pretty obvious he is using software to create the lower octaves of the vocal arrangements, i.e. auto-tune, and who knows what else he's doing with it other than lowering the octave. Take away the studio tricks and I think his voice is merely good, not amazing. Everyone's voice sounds better harmonizing with other voices, and your voice blends perfectly with ...your own voice (and auto-tune). I'm not saying he is less of an artist for using auto-tune, other successful artists use it so it's fair game. But his vocal arrangements won't sound as good live minus all the studio tricks and having to hire other vocalists. His real talent is arranging, and I suspect with some creative inspiration he has the potential to be an amazing composer.

*edit* I just wanted to add that I am listening to some his original compositions that he composed at 15, and is already quite a capable composer. And my comments above we're not meant to bash him at all: I am a fan. I just wanted to point out anyone with a decent voice and basic multi-instrumentalist skills could make a recording like his, except for the missing ingredient: his arranging and indeed his compositional skills. But after listening to some more of his work and his original recordings at 15, it's clear he is an amazing musical prodigy.
    Last edited by Guitarzen; 01-26-2014 at 06:08 PM.

User Info Menu

More amazing stuff on youtube. He says he only used autotune on a few low notes. Interesting he's also an acoustic bass player, when I opened the thread I thought this was the person I came across a while ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarzen
    I stumbled on this kid quite a while ago when I did a Youtube search for Pure Imagination. He's obviously got some extraordinary talent. I want to point out though that it is pretty obvious he is using software to create the lower octaves of the vocal arrangements, i.e. auto-tune, and who knows what else he's doing with it other than lowering the octave. Take away the studio tricks and I think his voice is merely good, not amazing. Everyone's voice sounds better harmonizing with other voices, and your voice blends perfectly with ...your own voice (and auto-tune). I'm not saying he is less of an artist for using auto-tune, other successful artists use it so it's fair game. But his vocal arrangements won't sound as good live minus all the studio tricks and having to hire other vocalists. His real talent is arranging, and I suspect with some creative inspiration he has the potential to be an amazing composer.

*edit* I just wanted to add that I am listening to some his original compositions that he composed at 15, and is already quite a capable composer. And my comments above we're not meant to bash him at all: I am a fan. I just wanted to point out anyone with a decent voice and basic multi-instrumentalist skills could make a recording like his, except for the missing ingredient: his arranging and indeed his compositional skills. But after listening to some more of his work and his original recordings at 15, it's clear he is an amazing musical prodigy.
    Guitarzen, on some of his YT vids he specifies that he does not use auto-tune - it may not be the case on all the clips, but I don't care at all, I am most impressed with (and entertained by,) as you say the arrangements.

His time and feel are also incredible, miles ahead of many...

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    More amazing stuff on youtube. He says he only used autotune on a few low notes. Interesting he's also an acoustic bass player, when I opened the thread I thought this was the person I came across a while ago.

He has a cool video on arrangement techniques as well

User Info Menu

I first became aware of his work on, "Pure Imagination" but his arrangement of Stevie's, "Don't You Worry 'Bout a Thing" is amazing. The groove in the middle is very cool & he's playing all those instruments. Very talented!

User Info Menu

Latest from Jacob Collier:

User Info Menu

I'll just leave it here... He shared this yesterday.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Edhgar
    I'll just leave it here... He shared this yesterday.

As the kids say, this is one SICK groove! An alchemy of vocals and SERIOUS groove!!

De Angelo, The Manhattan Transfer, Take 6 and all the funkateers who blazed earlier trails would be PROUD!!!

Bravo!!!

Well this was three years ago and I'm very happy to see this kid has blown up. A simple search on youtube shows tons of great live performances with other well established acts.

I've listened to and enjoyed his latest many times now:

As jazz guitarists, I believe we could learn a lot from his creativity, voice leading, sense of harmony, rhythm, etc.
    Last edited by JakeAcci; 04-02-2017 at 08:50 AM.

Gotta add a mention of this guy, June Lee, who has been transcribing all of JC's stuff.... yikes. June Lee is creating Transcription, Analysis and Music Theory Videos | Patreon

I might hire June for a lesson or two just to chat and pick his brain/ears.

User Info Menu

Gotta add a mention of this guy, June Lee, who has been transcribing all of JC's stuff.... yikes. June Lee is creating Transcription, Analysis and Music Theory Videos | Patreon

I might hire June for a lesson or two just to chat and pick his brain/ears.
    GREAT STUFF! JACOB is a bad little a**! Ha.

Below is my new favorite video of his. He is joined by THE GREAT METROPOLE ORCHESTRA who arranged the song, the former Snarky Puppy organist COREY HENRY who seems to have escaped to a solo career himself but I knew that was just a matter of time!

Not that it matters completely, I should say that he attended or might still attend London's Royal Academy of Music AKA UK's version of the Julliard school so he most definitely is no slouch.

And then this is the rest of his lineage (according to Wikipedia)...

Collier grew up in North London, England with his parents and two younger sisters.[2] Music has always been a way of life for Collier and his family. His mother, Susan Collier, is a highly respected music teacher, violinist, and conductor at the Royal Academy of Music in London.[3] Susan's father, Derek Collier, was a highly respected violinist, who also taught at the Royal Academy of Music and performed with orchestras around the world. His father, Patrick Moriarty, is also a talented amateur musician. Regarding the role music played within his family, Collier says, “[my sisters] are amazing, we sing Bach chorales together as family – it's just so much fun.”[4]

Last edited by West LA Jazz; 04-02-2017 at 11:23 AM.

User Info Menu

Jonathan Schwartz played some stuff that was very impressive. He's only, what, 9 years old? LOL.

BTW, who gives a snot if there's guitar on it or not? It's music...

User Info Menu

Talent + Environment I might add. Collier has had both... It's somewhat like seeing a young Mozart or something, I guess!

Collier, like a number of extremely impressive young musicians coming out of Europe is the child of high level professional classical musicians with access to high level musical training from an early age. Is this a new phenomenon? Jazz is now being seen as a space of free expression by young trained musicians .. the future is certainly bright (except from the point of view of money and funding.)

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77

Collier, like a number of extremely impressive young musicians...
    Who else????