The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 85 of 85

User Info Menu

I used to listen to 'smooth jazz' a lot back in day. In hindsight most of it was boring and I was high all the time anyway. Tom Scott was good. Is Steely Dan smooth jazz? I always liked them. I don't listen to smooth jazz at all but I would like to get paid and doing one-man-band karaoke is a good way to do it. Of course, anything having to do karaoke must be done where it was invented-Japan, for me anyway.
    When I hear the term 'smooth jazz' it reminds me of something music critics would coin. How can anyone top Wes when it comes to music along those lines?
    I'm only in it for the $. I want to be a well-paid hack. It's not my job to label the music but I guess I program smooth jazz. It's 100% fake.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    The only reason I would start using a midi controller is to do comping on the piano parts for jazz tunes. I can't play the piano very well but it's something to keep in mind for the future. As far as the sax melody that's getting tossed later. It's simply a guide. There's a little tamborine roll that's very annoying somewhere.

I'm going to start listening to Dizzy and how he comps on the keys.
    How did you make this one? Played some instrument, or it was "by mouse"?

User Info Menu

^^^
    Started with a GM file. It's all mouse. Load it in FL Studio and start isolating all instruments, replace sounds with Vst's, fine tune parts. Can't beat the piano roll in FL. It's the best. Used soundfonts. Toxic BioHazard and some stock FL sounds.

User Info Menu

GM file of that tune, found on the www?
    I read your post that followed, so I get the idea, but still I think a controller in the shape of instrument you can really play, like MIDI PU for guitar, would help you a lot. Even if you edit and quantize to death, it'll still keep that touch of personality. Also, you may find it faster than punching holes in piano roll.

User Info Menu

^^^
    That was a good file to begin with. Not much to do compared to others. I got a midi for Cee Lo's 'Crazy' and that sucked. Had to rewrite everything and just used the form of the song. Made up a couple parts for it.

It's just a backing track. Not trying to fool anyone. If you can make the listener focus on the song- not you, then evrything is OK. It adds up to light background music.

User Info Menu

I think the term smooth jazz was coined by radio and record execs after Chuck Mangione generated a gazillion dollars on "Feels So Good". It proved that there was indeed a big market for this kind of music, so they gave the market a name. Smooth jazz radio programmers say it still continues to be the most requested smooth jazz tune of all time. $$$

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vladan
    GM file of that tune, found on the www?
    I read your post that followed, so I get the idea, but still I think a controller in the shape of instrument you can really play, like MIDI PU for guitar, would help you a lot. Even if you edit and quantize to death, it'll still keep that touch of personality. Also, you may find it faster than punching holes in piano roll.
    I can tell from some of these GM files that some people bashed out parts on a midi controller. These files are all different. There's already a 'human element'. I should get a controller though and work on my keyboard playing. These string sections are basically all bad.

User Info Menu

This is something I made on Yamaha QY70, back in the year ... It's based on Acid Jazz presets, which I tweaked and played all the melodies/ solos on QY own tiney rubber buttons keyboard. I still have that QY70, but only use it occasionally as a module for GK3/GI20.

User Info Menu

define smooth..attitude or style..? david sanborn alone could define the "style"

really enjoy Chuck Loeb very tasty player...

early CTI recordings -benson, stanley turrentine

early steely dan - very hot guitar players..(larry carlton being one)

how about the "kind of blue" album..."blue in green" is beyond smooth..

we must remember that commercial/subscription stations have playlists..the top 40 of the NOT top 40 so to speak..even so we are introduced to some new and very good players..smooth or not

User Info Menu

I see that Chuck Loeb has a learning site starting soon through Artistworks.