The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 49 of 49

User Info Menu

Rats. The picks didn't show. According to the tracking report, they hit town early this AM and went out for delivery today. But I didn't get 'em.
    Monday, I'll make it a point to meet the mail carrier...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Rats. The picks didn't show. According to the tracking report, they hit town early this AM and went out for delivery today. But I didn't get 'em.
    Monday, I'll make it a point to meet the mail carrier...
    Thanks for the tip on elderly.com, Mark. I'm interested to hear what you think of the FK picks. There are some reviews from people on YouTube, but nothing really concrete; one about the "Slick Pick" but none on the "Bumble Bee."

I think Jerry is using a Dunlop here. Like it matters. He could use a piece of flint glued to his thumb and still be smokin'...

Last edited by paynow; 12-29-2013 at 08:02 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by paynow
    Thanks for the tip on elderly.com, Mark. I'm interested to hear what you think of the FK picks. There are some reviews from people on YouTube, but nothing really concrete; one about the "Slick Pick" but none on the "Bumble Bee."

Here's a video of a guy using a FK Bumble Bee pick. His sound isn't what I'm into now but he's using a Bumble Bee pick. He also talks about the influence of Brent Mason and Scottie Anderson, two super pickers.

Jerry was amazing. Love his playing. (And his funny songs.)

Here's a video about a Saddle thumb pick. I'd never heard of it before doing a YouTube search for thumb picks. I'd like to hear from someone who has used one of these. (They run about nine bucks, so I'm not buying one on a lark.)

User Info Menu

That saddle pick seems like a great concept. I like it
    I agree it seems like a great concept. When I play without a thumb pick, I'm using the side of my thumb, but with a thumb pick, the pick blade is, um, "under my thumb." I seem to play better without a thumb pick than with one, though the sound is fuller with one due to the contrast between the bass notes (picked) and melody notes (fingered). It seems that this pick would be more like playing without a pick--the blade sits where a 'naked' thumb would strike the string.

What bugs me about the ad for this thumb pick is that it doesn't do the obvious thing of showing someone use one to play a guitar!

User Info Menu

The picks arrived and my immediate favorite is the Bumble Bee.

If you're thinking, "Hey, that looks like a Jazz III with a strap on it," you're close. The pick is shaped like a Jazz III (There is also a teardrop shape, which is narrower at the shoulder, that I have yet to try.) The material is Delrin, which is durable but more pliable. (Well, I got a "light" one; I suspect the 'heavy' and 'extra heavy' models are thick as a Jazz III, if not thicker.)

The slot on the backside allows you to adjust how much of the pick tip sticks out when you play. I think that's an amazing feature. I find most thumb picks to have too long a blade. (I often tap the neck pickup with the blade of a traditional Dunlop thumb pick; that doesn't happen with this one.) This one, you can fine tune.

The fit is snug. I notice that----for me; I've only tried one of these picks---the strap runs along (or a tad lower than) the base of my thumb nail. Normally, I push thumb picks back a bit further toward the knuckle but this one won't go. I"m getting used to that.

You can also pivot the pick. I haven't experimented with that yet. Clearly, though, this pick is adjustable in ways other thumb picks are not. I think that's a big plus.

User Info Menu

Thanks Mark, I will order some of these for a try. All I have right now is a used up old Herco pick.

User Info Menu

Another thing I've noticed about the Bumble Bee is that the strap that goes over your thumb is rounder than on a normal thumb pick. This makes for a better fit, I think.

Hey, Al, thanks for the Paul Pigat vids---that dude can play.

User Info Menu

Here's an earlier (live) version of the same tune.

User Info Menu

Just noticed the tabs for all three of Paul Pigat's DVDs are available as a free download from the publisher-

http://www.learnrootsmusic.com/temp/html/tabs.html

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gusgtr
    Just noticed the tabs for all three of Paul Pigat's DVDs are available as a free download from the publisher-

http://www.learnrootsmusic.com/temp/html/tabs.html
    I clicked on that link and reached a Not Found page.

User Info Menu

Just try www.learnrootsmusic.com and that will take you to their home page.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gusgtr
    Just try www.learnrootsmusic.com and that will take you to their home page.
    I tried that too, but when looking for the tabs in question, a "Not Found" message emerges.

User Info Menu

That's strange-I just downloaded them today-right before I posted here-now I get a "Not Found" message as well- I'm assuming that since they were available for free it would be o.k. to post them here
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

From the continuing series "Paul Pigat Plays Slightly Different Versions Of Mr. Sandman On A Variety Of Guitars":

BTW, Mark, I was reading a copy of "Acoustic Guitar," a monthly magazine, and saw an ad for those Saddle Picks.

User Info Menu

One of my favorite players in this genre. Really amazing. Figured I'd share:

He's great, I've got his Rockabilly DVD.

Love the way those Dynasonics sound in the last video.

I sold my 6120DSW a few years ago and it's the only guitar I've ever regretted selling. The fact that it's also worth nearly double with todays prices doesn't help.

User Info Menu

What are the must-know songs a beginner to this style should learn?

I'm working with Mark Hanson's book, so I'm working on "Freight Train" and "Goin' Down the Road Feelin' Bad." Also, Merle's "Sixteen Tons."

What prompted my interest in this was listening to Elvis' "Sun Sessions" and hearing what Scotty Moore was doing. I want to learn several of those songs ("That's All Right," "Good Rockin' Tonight," "Mystery Train," "Just Because," "Milkcow Blues Boogie.")

User Info Menu

Learn Mystery Train first (including the solo), it's a classic riff worth knowing anyway and can jammed on for hours. That is where I started.

User Info Menu

The "slick pick" is appropriately named. It's smooth against the string. The Bumble Bee fits me a little tighter (it's a rounder 'hoop'; the Slick Pick isn't nearly so snug.)

I'm experimenting with how far back on the thumb I press the pick. It seems that the nearer I get to the middle knuckle, the smoother my playing is, but boy, my thumb turns purple after awhile!

Jerry and Chet are so great. Jerry was a monster. I'm working on "Cannon Ball Rag" now and it's a pity how slow I have to take it, measure by measure (in some cases, beat by beat.)

User Info Menu

The "slick pick" is appropriately named. It's smooth against the string. The Bumble Bee fits me a little tighter (it's a rounder 'hoop'; the Slick Pick isn't nearly so snug.)

I'm experimenting with how far back on the thumb I press the pick. It seems that the nearer I get to the middle knuckle, the smoother my playing is, but boy, my thumb turns purple after awhile!

Jerry and Chet are so great. Jerry was a monster. I'm working on "Cannon Ball Rag" now and it's a pity how slow I have to take it, measure by measure (in some cases, beat by beat.)
    Thanks Mark. I appreciate the info.

There's no shame in taking it slow. Like everything else, the best way is to practice it slow, do it correctly, and then get it up to speed.

User Info Menu

Thanks Mark. I appreciate the info.
    A bit more about the Slick Pick. It feels (wears) more like a conventional thumb pick, though the blade has a different contour. Whereas a Dunlop, for example, has a significant swoop, the Slick Pick does not. Also, the Slick Pick isn't as wide.

The Bumble Bee, because of its hoop, provides a more secure, snugger fit, and of course, it fells like a Jazz III on the bottom.

I'm making progress. I can tell week-to-week by the tempo at which I can take pieces. Odd gaps in my technique, though----it'll work out in time, I'm sure, but I'm having more trouble with songs that require "folk" chords than the movable shapes (7ths and 9ths) up the neck. A real nagging thing for me----and this is a fretting hand matter, not the thumb pick hand--for me--at all---is that when making an open C chord, I mute the high E with my index even though I don't want to, so when I fingerpick the high E (as in "Freight Train") it is muted. It is odd to be my age and struggle with the first chord I ever learned!

But I have the habit of playing an hour a day (at least) with the thumb pick and that was Step One. So I'm happy. Thanks for the feedback and advice!

User Info Menu

A bit more about the Slick Pick. It feels (wears) more like a conventional thumb pick, though the blade has a different contour. Whereas a Dunlop, for example, has a significant swoop, the Slick Pick does not. Also, the Slick Pick isn't as wide.

The Bumble Bee, because of its hoop, provides a more secure, snugger fit, and of course, it fells like a Jazz III on the bottom.

I'm making progress. I can tell week-to-week by the tempo at which I can take pieces. Odd gaps in my technique, though----it'll work out in time, I'm sure, but I'm having more trouble with songs that require "folk" chords than the movable shapes (7ths and 9ths) up the neck. A real nagging thing for me----and this is a fretting hand matter, not the thumb pick hand--for me--at all---is that when making an open C chord, I mute the high E with my index even though I don't want to, so when I fingerpick the high E (as in "Freight Train") it is muted. It is odd to be my age and struggle with the first chord I ever learned!

But I have the habit of playing an hour a day (at least) with the thumb pick and that was Step One. So I'm happy. Thanks for the feedback and advice!
    I kind of thought that when looking at the Bumble Bee, that it's like a Jazz III. Glad to have it confirmed. When I finally get around to ordering thumb picks, I'm going to go with that one first. That's the type of thing I'm looking for.

Take that C chord and play it without playing a tune. Do Root-3-5-3 as the pattern, alternating the ring finger between the root and the 5. While you're doing that, focus on keeping your index finger arched without playing the high E. Then, start to drop in the E at certain points, or play it with every bass note, or on 2 & 4, or some other beats.

I write a lot of stuff that uses that chord and the open E. You can do it man, no question in my mind.

User Info Menu

I kind of thought that when looking at the Bumble Bee, that it's like a Jazz III. Glad to have it confirmed. When I finally get around to ordering thumb picks, I'm going to go with that one first. That's the type of thing I'm looking for.

Take that C chord and play it without playing a tune. Do Root-3-5-3 as the pattern, alternating the ring finger between the root and the 5. While you're doing that, focus on keeping your index finger arched without playing the high E. Then, start to drop in the E at certain points, or play it with every bass note, or on 2 & 4, or some other beats.
    ng
    I write a lot of stuff that uses that chord and the open E. You can do it man, no question in my mind.
    Yes, the Bumble Bee is like a Jazz III. Not the same material but the same shape. There is a narrower version of the same pick (-I forget what it's called) with less 'shoulder' for the bottom part. If you buy 'em from Elderly, they're not that expensive, so I'd suggest trying one of each and seeing which suits you better.

As for the "C" problem, I'm getting there. Thanks for the encouragement. I worked on it this morning. It's a simple thing, really, a 101-type thing: 'play on the tips of your fingers.' When I do that, it all works out fine. It really is coming along. I feel good about my playing these past few weeks and look forward to getting a few more months under my belt.

User Info Menu

Don't forget Eddie Pennington

and as nice a guy as he is a great player.

User Info Menu

Some more of the amazing Pigat: