The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 31

User Info Menu

I know a guy in a Beatles band who had a gig lined up for a few weeks. After the first night the owner told them the gig was over, because the patrons wanted rock 'n roll music.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

He probably wanted this

Not this

I like the Beatles better.

User Info Menu

Well, there has evolved a difference between "Rock and Roll" and "Rock" music and they each come in a few different flavors. Sounds like he didn't know what words to use to express what he really wanted...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jasaco
    Well, there has evolved a difference between "Rock and Roll" and "Rock" music and they each come in a few different flavors. Sounds like he didn't know what words to use to express what he really wanted...
    I've always thought of the difference between Rock 'n' Roll and Rock like this: R 'n' R still has some swing to it, Rock doesn't. Of course, just my opinion.
    Brad

User Info Menu

Rock 'n' Roll was fifties stuff, and you're right Brad it did swing! After that it was jazz all the way for me!....L..

User Info Menu

There's difference between Beatles songs and Beatles songs

Maybe a set with Twist and Shout, She Loves You, I want to hold your hand and other early hits could pass as a rock'n'roll gig but not a set with strawberry fields, elenor rigby and yellow submarine etc..

User Info Menu

Speaking as someone who grew up in Liverpool in the Sixties - the Beatles are as Rock'n'Roll as you like. The fact that they redefined mainstream popular music around themselves obscures this somewhat, but I'll tell you, my parents used to go to see them in their Silver Beatles days at Litherland Town Hall and I know from listening to the senior Mangoes that the band was always ready to break out Chuck Berry or Little Richards tunes at the drop of a hi-hat.

Did I mention that the first gig I ever attended (at age 7) was the Beatles at the Liverpool Empire in 1965? Yeah.

And, agree with FEP - there are those who consider "rawkanroll" as AC/DC, Van Halen, Aerosmith, etc.. To me that's just mainstream rock and there is a difference, which down to the polyrhythms. Back in the days when I was a bassplayer, I was asked why I played Johnny B. Goode with a walking 4/4 bass rather than follow the guitar line. Answer - it makes it swing, the 4/4 walking bass against the double time feel of the drums against the 12/8 of the piano, and the guitar that weaves in and out of all those elements. Just having the whole band go "duh dud duh dud duh dud duh dud" together is never going to be as interesting, or as good musically to my ears.

User Info Menu

The terms "Rock n Roll" vs "Rock" have always intrigued me. I associate rock n roll with Elvis, Little Richard etc and rock with acts from the late 60's onwards - Cream, Hendrix, through to Zeppelin etc.

This may be something to do with me having grown up in the UK. In the US, I get the impression that the terms can be used interchangeably. Is that correct?

The Beatles are a grey area for me, in the sense they played some rock n roll in their earlier phase and ending up playing rock like stuff in their later days.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eazilyled
    In the US, I get the impression that the terms can be used interchangeably. Is that correct?
    No, it's not correct. Nobody in the US would call today's music (or really for the last several decades "Rock 'n' Roll"; it's just "Rock" music. And, yes, the Beatles started out with RnR, but then evolved quite far away from that. RnR is a dated term referring to a genre that was popular in the '50s and mostly petered out of the mainstream by the mid-60's.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jasaco
    No, it's not correct.
    Ah OK.

However, I looked at Wikipedia's article earlier (Rock and roll - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), and it hints at what I was referring to:

"The term "rock and roll" now has at least two different meanings, both in common usage. The American Heritage Dictionary[11] and the Merriam-Webster Dictionary[12] both define rock and roll as synonymous with rock music. Encyclopædia Britannica, on the other hand, regards it as the music that originated in the mid-1950s and later developed "into the more encompassing international style known as rock music".[13]"

User Info Menu

Billy Joel considers hot funk, cool punk, and new wave to be rock 'n' roll.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Agate
    Billy Joel considers hot funk, cool punk, and new wave to be rock 'n' roll.
    Lol.

I was recently in a smokey dive bar in a small town and every song from the jukebox was straight from the 80's MTV. ZZ Top, Van Halen, Pat Benator, Billy Idol, that kind of stuff. Then Funky Town came on the jukebox and one of the guys shooting pool says, "Whoa, here's an 80's flashback!" Which made me laugh because every song all night was from the 80's. Then it dawned on me that they listen to ZZ Top and Van Halen every day so to them those are today's songs, whereas Funky Town is "from the 80's".

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

By the time you got to Van Halen it was more distortion and production and less content
    Don't get me wrong....I grew up on VH and still crank them
    But the Beatles set the bar for the pinnacle of genius....sorry...POP writing.
    The Beatles wrote pop songs.
    On their first album twist and shout is rock and roll
    But almost all the rest are indeed pop songs in their day.
    The cavern days?
    Straight up rock and roll.
    After those days they wrote the book on how to "craft" a song.
    Amazing those boys were.

User Info Menu

The Beatles were as RnR as Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, or Elvis. All were rock and all were pop. The Beatles became a direction in the evolution of rock. Many complain that Randy Newman didn't deserve to be inducted into the RRHOF. As any genre develops, the broader its boundaries become.

User Info Menu

Carl Perkins sings rock and roll history here:

User Info Menu

I like that old-time rock'n'roll. That kind of music just soothes my soul.

I reminisce about the days of old, with that old-time rock'n'roll...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I know a guy in a Beatles band who had a gig lined up for a few weeks. After the first night the owner told them the gig was over, because the patrons wanted rock 'n roll music.
    This guy's first mistake was worrying about anything a club owner says.

User Info Menu

There's right now this and another Beatles thread on the front page of this forum ... DiMeola is coming out with a Beatles album ...

Let's face it, the Beatles are jazz.

User Info Menu

Since when! not one of them could actually play the melody their own songs, sing them yes......

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Anything can become jazz in the hands of a jazz musician.....

User Info Menu

I had, probably still have an LP The Beatles in Brazillian Sound. The last time I listenedto it was about 35 yrs ago, so I have no idea whowere the musicians. And our music teacher in highschool would often say about some classical piece
    .... and later The Beatles Jazzed it.

User Info Menu

Beatles are definitely NOT Rock and Roll.

Evidence proven fact is that my Mum allowed me to listen to them when I was young.

IF Beatles music was Rock And Roll music,
    THEN Mum wouldn't have permitted me to listen to that sort of noise,
    she would have punished me, and cut my hairs
    THAT's the real "CQFD" fact.

Must be classical music maybe ?

Christophe

User Info Menu

The Beatles earlies hit were pop/rock teeny bob music. It was all holding hands, love me do, PS I love you, etc. They were very good at this, and terrible when they tried to cover older rock songs. With Rubber Soul in the US and Revolver in England they transformed into a a music group that expressed many things songs never did before. I want to be a paperback writer. Yellow submarine. Norwegian wood. Through all of this I considered them a rock group. Part of rock is the instrumental association with rock, that's why when a rock artist sings a love ballad, it's still considered rock.

Rock music is self leveling in some ways. The in Sixties the Los Angeles scene pulled to a mellower folk/country influenced place. Others were as well. But if rock strays too far from it's roots, there is always someone who comes along doing heavy "three-chord rock," and the fans love it.
    Last edited by Andrew B.; 12-22-2013 at 12:33 AM.