The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 31 of 31

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by orri
    There's difference between Beatles songs and Beatles songs

Maybe a set with Twist and Shout, She Loves You, I want to hold your hand and other early hits could pass as a rock'n'roll gig but not a set with strawberry fields, elenor rigby and yellow submarine etc..
    I think this post comes close to answering the question. Were the Beatles a "rock n roll" band when they first appeared? Without question. Did they remain a "rock n roll" band? I think not. They evolved into a pop song-writing band, creating inarguably long-lasting music that appeals to many people across all boundaries, but that doesn't mean that everything they did in their careers was "rock n roll", nor does it mean that a Beatles cover band represents "rock n roll" as an entire genre.

For example, Paula Anka started out as a rock n roll artist, but after his first couple of years, I doubt that anyone would classify him as a rock n roll performer. The Stones remained more true to the rock n roll concept, imho of course, throughout their careers but I could still see a bar owner, wanting a rock n roll band, not being interested in a Stones cover band.

I think we all have a different idea of what constitutes "rock n roll". To me, R n R is a derivative of 50's music, is required to have a strong back beat that drives the listener emotionally, and generally has to appeal to the teenage angst in us (even if we're adults). Rock n Roll was Chuck Berry, the Everly Brothers, Bill Haley, Dion, Buddy Holly, Fats Dominoe, maybe Ike Turner, Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins, and then there was the "other side" of rock n roll which was derived from the doo-wop groups such as The Penguins, Crests, Belmonts, Crows.

TO ME, if you don't sound like one of those, it ain't rock n roll to me. You might call it rock, or punk-rock, or metal, or some other thing, stick it under the "rock" umbrella, but you'd have to explain to me what makes it "rock n roll".
    To that end, Twist and Shout, I Want To Hold Your Hand, and I Saw Her Standing There were "rock n roll" songs. Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields were not. Get Back is. Michelle is arguable. Etc.

Just one man's opinion. This is an interesting topic. Just what IS rock n roll to you?
    Last edited by croth; 02-20-2014 at 03:34 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If it's got a backbeat and you can blues it, it's gotta be rock'n'roll music.

I have been listening to the Beatles a lot lately, and pretty obsessively since 1965 or so. While they didn't invent rock, they brought a freshness and energy that was lacking in pop music of the early 1960's. Plus their rhythm section--Ringo, Paul and John on rhythm guitar was extremely tight and driving.

Even their most "trivial" songs--I Want to Hold Your Hand for instance--have a driving beat. The combination of jangly guitars and their vocal harmonies was just incomparable. And the production was exquisite--practically every song had an interesting guitar or harmonica riff, inventive chord progressions and such--the suspended 7th at the end of IWTHYH is still one of the most arresting and recognizable song endings ever recorded.

They weren't the most virtuosic musicians but they were talented and smart--they played just exactly the notes that needed to be played, nothing more and nothing less.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mangotango
    Did I mention that the first gig I ever attended (at age 7) was the Beatles at the Liverpool Empire in 1965? Yeah.
    Dang. I bet that was an experience!

User Info Menu

There are so many genres of music these days that i just do not care what they all mean.

User Info Menu

Can we just back the truck up for a moment.

The club owner hired a Beatles band and then fired them because they werent rock and roll.
    The club owner hired a Beatles band then fired them because they played... Beatles.

What was HE expecting?

User Info Menu

As a band you must know your market. As a bar owner, you might expect the band has a clue of what music is needed in a bar. In theory, a Beatles cover band could do a whole night of rocking Beatles' tunes, or they could make the mistake of thinking they were doing a Beatles tribute concert, mixing in a whole bunch of ballads and slow tempo tunes. As any respectable bar band knows, maintaining a certain energy level that promotes partying and drinking is job #1. You are basically there to help sell booze.