The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

Anyone have a good source for Hank Williams music?

wiz

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Not sure what you mean. The original recordings are the place to go for transcribing and learning the feel.

Do a search on this site or at youtube and you'll find Joe Pass and Roy Clark swingin' like mad on Ole Hank tunes!

User Info Menu

Yea..I've done some Hank Williams with a jazz feel...came out nice...Beatles too...some songs you can "jazz up" but found a few here and there that just don't come out right..I drop it and go on to another...don't knock yourself out..come back to it later..

time on the instrument...pierre...

User Info Menu

Actually, our new gig is in a Country Steakhouse and we had a lot of requests this week to add a couple of Country songs and a couple of waltzes to dance to. The waltzes are easy to find but my knowledge of Country music is pretty sparse. I grew up in Arizona listening to Chet Atkins, Merle Travis, Hank Garland and Hank Williams but that was a looonnngg time ago. I thought maybe "Hey, Good Lookin'" and a few others from Hank Williams would be ok.

wiz

User Info Menu

check amazon.com for someone selling any of the "time life" classic country CD's used. they're great, and i was able to score 5 different volumes for under 5 bucks a piece! that'll get you a ton of material.

User Info Menu

Don't forget your public library! Songbooks, CDs, DVDs!!! Interlibrary Loan!!!!!!!!

User Info Menu

way to go stackabones...

you may be suprised at what you may find at your library...

time on the instrument...pierre

User Info Menu

I trust I am not stating the obvious when I say that someone with an interest in country music and Hank Williams may be starting off with bad directions here..
    Isn't this a jazz guitar site?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shel
    I trust I am not stating the obvious when I say that someone with an interest in country music and Hank Williams may be starting off with bad directions here..
    Isn't this a jazz guitar site?
    Yes, you are absolutely correct. Whatever happened to that Joe Pass guy? I've heard a few things about him, but he never really made a name for himself.

User Info Menu

Its not the song or who wrote it...it's the way it's played by you....if you play jazz you will play it like jazz---if you play country you will play it like country..and so on and so on...The Ventures (60s-70s) cut an album of country songs..they didn't sound country...the sounded like the ventures were playing...elsewhere in this forum...Roy Clark & Joe Pass played country songs with (of course) a jazz feel...

It's not the words but the way they are said

It's not the song but the way it's played

Time on the instrument..pierre..

User Info Menu

spade cooley, hank thompson and the brazo boys, great western flavoured swing.

but any swing tune from the thirties and some ellington tunes would be great played in a country swing style. think of stomping at the savoy, sweet georgia brown, sit right down and write myself a letter, tunes like that. aint misbehavin, honeysuckle rose, bye bye blackbird (i hate that tune) they all sound fine played in a country style.

lots of waltzes too, like tennesee waltz. great tune too, keith jarrett covered it.

some elvis tunes, "blue suede shoes" Patsy cline, or "just walk on by, wait on the corner". Tammy wynette.

or a tune like "all of me"

User Info Menu

i think amazon is a great source where you can find his works.

Amazon.com: hank williams

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stackabones
    Yes, you are absolutely correct. Whatever happened to that Joe Pass guy? I've heard a few things about him, but he never really made a name for himself.

I heard he's playing guitar for Hank Williams now. Oscar on the piano & Ray on bass.

Stringbean Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Stackabones

that ending was superb

User Info Menu

Anybody with an interest in the fusion of country and jazz shouls check out Jimmie Rivers and Vance Terry. There's been an album available for years called "Brisbane Bop" that is a must listen. It's been in my top 5 of inspirational albums for years. Jimmie Rivers and Vance Terry op MySpace Music ? Gratis gestreamde MP3?s, foto?s en Videoclips

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRosett
    Anybody with an interest in the fusion of country and jazz shouls check out Jimmie Rivers and Vance Terry. There's been an album available for years called "Brisbane Bop" that is a must listen. It's been in my top 5 of inspirational albums for years. Jimmie Rivers and Vance Terry op MySpace Music ? Gratis gestreamde MP3?s, foto?s en Videoclips
    Checked a youtube vid. They've got that Bryant/West Western Swing with boppisms thing down. Sweet stuff. The band is swingin' hot!

User Info Menu

Can you put up a link to the video? The only thing I can find is one that has a song from the CD and pictures.

User Info Menu

Jazz has always had a presence in country and bluegrass. Most people know about Country Swing. I think 'Newgrass' is slightly less familiar, and is a great place to find innovative, exciting jazz ideas.

Check out Tony Trishka, Bela Fleck, Chris Thile, and Tony Rice, just to name a few.

Try this one on:

User Info Menu

And this...

User Info Menu

as you can see by my avatar, I am a big Hank fan, but I think Ernest Tubb would do you real well, "Waltz across texas", "walking the floor over you" etc, etc...