The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 53

User Info Menu

It seems like more and more bands for the big "mainstream" acts (jay z, kanye west, justin bieber) get some cats with great gospel and r&b chops.

Does anyone know some great gospel session players I can check out?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Have you checked out Phil Keaggy?

Home - Phil Keaggy

User Info Menu

Nice! Thanks man.

Do you guys know Jairus Mozee? This is kind of the style I'm talking about:

or Rick Wattford?
    Last edited by cap rad; 05-22-2011 at 07:43 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cap rad
    Nice! Thanks man.

Do you guys know Jairus Mozee? This is kind of the style I'm talking about:

or Rick Wattford?
    Crap. Wish my messing around was half that good. That guy is great.

User Info Menu

If you're looking for great guitar playing on a gospel album, I'd check out John Scofield on Piety Street. His playing on that is really tasteful, and he gets back to his bluesier roots. Really demonstrates his range.

User Info Menu

Not intending to hijack this thread, but any learning resources (books, vids, online) for Gospel stuff?

User Info Menu

Also wanted to post this. Charlie Hunter taking a shot at "Just a Closer Walk with Thee" Classic gospel tune with an incredible super- funky arrangement. He really gets the tune cooking at around the 50 second mark. One of my favorite youtube clips!

User Info Menu

Google either:

Eric Walls or jonathan dubose both great R&B/Gospel guitarists.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Subfeeder
    Not intending to hijack this thread, but any learning resources (books, vids, online) for Gospel stuff?
    I know there is this guy named Jermaine Griggs who has a website called "hear and play" and he has two instructional DVD's one is for beginners and one is for more advanced players it's called Gospel 301 or something like that, and Jairus Mozee is the teacher on there.

He teaches a lot of cool stuff, I actally have it myself, got it like a year ago and i'm still learning stuff from it!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

anyone here have the Grant Green spiritual album? It's a bit of a hijack (apologies) but it's really a great take on a lot of Black spiritual songs

called 'feelin' the spirit' i believe. Check it out!

User Info Menu

Hey Cap,
    Rob Bacon is the name of the cat that plays with Saadiq. Love how they can go from slick modern R&B like the vid I posted above to old school Motown!

User Info Menu

Black Gospel Music Piano, Organ, Guitar and Bass Guitar Lessons for Gospel Musicians

Lots of Piano type stuff but there is a specific guitar section.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzFanatik
    I know there is this guy named Jermaine Griggs who has a website called "hear and play" and he has two instructional DVD's one is for beginners and one is for more advanced players it's called Gospel 301 or something like that, and Jairus Mozee is the teacher on there.

He teaches a lot of cool stuff, I actally have it myself, got it like a year ago and i'm still learning stuff from it!
    Man this thread is getting hip yall! Thanks for the great suggestions!

Fanatik: I was think about getting that DVD actually. You would recommend it?
    I've been playing in church and getting my butt kicked!

User Info Menu

Yes, I would HIGHLY recommend it...I learned so many concepts and chops from that video that I use all the time ESPECIALLY in church. I play at a southern gospel church, and trust me i know that feeling of getting my butt kicked, but this helped me out a lot...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzFanatik
    Yes, I would HIGHLY recommend it...I learned so many concepts and chops from that video that I use all the time ESPECIALLY in church. I play at a southern gospel church, and trust me i know that feeling of getting my butt kicked, but this helped me out a lot...
    Haha, right on. Thanks man, I will be picking these up! I play outside Detroit, so I feel you on that butt kicking! Cats are heavy.

User Info Menu

Wow, just found this thread.
    Have been looking for the gospel cats myself as they are virtually unknown here in europe.

You have to check out Spanky Alford (he seems to be like the godfather of gospel guitar )!!

Some names, like Jairuz were already mentioned. So let's see...
    - Erick Walls (
    )
    - Kevin Wilson (YouTube - ‪Kanaal van kwilson27278‬‏)
    Took a youtube lessons from him. Nice guy has some cool Licks & chords.
    - Paul Jackson Jr. (Famous studio cat)

There's a ton of others whose names won't come to me right now.

Oh, and I got the Jairuz Video (the advanced one). Cool licks, killer groove, that guy.

User Info Menu

Here are some more names to check out:

Rick Watford
    Jairus Mozee
    Curt Chambers
    Agape Jerry
    Jonanthan Dubose
    John Eley
    Timothy Mole
    Isaiah Sharkey
    Vindell Smith
    Ede Wright
    Chalmers "Spanky" Alford (RIP)
    Mark Strowbridge
    John "Jubu" Smith
    Charlie Bereal
    Jeremy Most

This should get you started, but there are a lot more. Jairus' "Hear & Play" tutorials are worth the money as well.

User Info Menu

Hey everyone, I just bought both of the hear and play guitar dvds and I found A GREAT COUPON. You can get 40% off with the coupon code: takeoff40

Total of $48 for both. Not too shabby!

User Info Menu

yeah that's pretty sweet dude. let me know how you like it. if you don't learn anything ill be shocked. it's a lot of great stuff in there.

User Info Menu

Pops Staples

User Info Menu

Oh no ... I finally just checked this thread out... I have to split , have two gigs today and tonight... miles apart... I cover this music a lot, I'll post some of my versions. You will not be able to stay in your seat...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    Oh no ... I finally just checked this thread out... I have to split , have two gigs today and tonight... miles apart... I cover this music a lot, I'll post some of my versions. You will not be able to stay in your seat...
    Looking forward to it Reg!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg

yesssssss!!!another Reg lesson. Please dont' forget Reg!!!!!!!!!! Hope this means another Reg video, that would be tiiiiight.

User Info Menu

Come on Reg, dont forget about that R&B video dnt forget about us brotha! LOL