The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 62

User Info Menu

What is "smooth jazz"? I only ever hear it on "The Weather Channel"'s "Local on the 8s" weather forecast. I'm not really sure what I'm hearing: it seems "jazzy", but simplified, rhythmically and harmonically. The melodies seem pretty good on their own, but it seems like I-IV-V pop music with a few jazzy licks and measures thrown in. Maybe a nice turnaround here or there, but... whatever.

I'd like to learn to appreciate this style more, but as it is now, all I'm hearing is "elevator music", and it seems to be seeping into my own playing.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jckoto3
    What is "smooth jazz"? I only ever hear it on "The Weather Channel"'s "Local on the 8s" weather forecast. I'm not really sure what I'm hearing: it seems "jazzy", but simplified, rhythmically and harmonically. The melodies seem pretty good on their own, but it seems like I-IV-V pop music with a few jazzy licks and measures thrown in. Maybe a nice turnaround here or there, but... whatever.

I'd like to learn to appreciate this style more, but as it is now, all I'm hearing is "elevator music", and it seems to be seeping into my own playing.
    It's what musicians, some of whom can play actual jazz really well, play to be able to make a living. It's not one of my favorite things either.

User Info Menu

I hate the term 'smooth jazz', if they just called adult contemporary or R&B then the jazz musicians probably wouldn't get their panties all bunched up about it. It's really defined by the smooth jazz radio stations and has come to include pop, R&B, motown, blues, etc.

Hard to describe, but I know it when I hear it:

User Info Menu

Smooth jazz is synonymous with "happy jazz". It's what sucks, plain & simple. And that's not an opinion, that is a scientifically proven fact.
    For the record, my panties are entirely bunched.
    Last edited by Dark Star; 03-06-2011 at 09:20 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Hard to describe, but I know it when I hear it:
    I always associate Carlton with Steely Dan. This is okay by me.

By the way, I can *see* this video but I can't see the ones of Eddy Palmero that Monk posted. They're all YouTube vids, but I can't see those. (I hear them, but the screen's black.) This one I see (and hear) fine. I can't figure this out for the life of me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markerhodes
    I always associate Carlton with Steely Dan. This is okay by me.

By the way, I can *see* this video but I can't see the ones of Eddy Palmero that Monk posted. They're all YouTube vids, but I can't see those. (I hear them, but the screen's black.) This one I see (and hear) fine. I can't figure this out for the life of me.
    Had that problem a few days ago. I fixed it by turning off hardware acceleration in the adobe flash software panel.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by billkath
    Had that problem a few days ago. I fixed it by turning off hardware acceleration in the adobe flash software panel.
    I'll give that a whirl. Thanks.

User Info Menu

It's pronounced smoove.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stackabones
    It's pronounced smoove.
    Only in Sarf Lunon

User Info Menu

to my ears, there are two distinct 'categories' of smooth jazz: the faceless dreck that's made specifically for that market (kenny g, et al), and the cool/fun stuff put out by musicians who have always skirted the border between jazz and pop (george duke, oscar castro-neves, etc).

when i was living in chicago and often listening to WNUA, i actually enjoyed listening to certain musicians like herbie hancock, gato barbieri, roy ayers, kirk whalum, steely dan, etc etc. smooth jazz isn't all bad, but it's hard to listen to for a long stretch of time when the 'lesser' artists are mixed in with the good ones. but i think that's true for more than just this one particular genre of music.

User Info Menu

I think the smooth jazz stations define smooth jazz and their definition is very broad.

A tune often played on the San Diego smooth jazz station KIFM:

And this one also:

One thing about these groups, they can sell out decent sized venues.

And it's very fashionable for jazz musicians to hate smooth jazz. I find that funny.
    Last edited by fep; 03-06-2011 at 11:05 PM.

User Info Menu

Fashionable? I thought it was required.
    Honestly, my dislike (hate's pretty strong) for it is more like an allergic reaction.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jckoto3
    and it seems to be seeping into my own playing.
    Yes, I agree with all the above who say it sucks, its irksome, etc, etc, but I wish some of the chops of Larry, Lee and Pat would seep into my own playing !

User Info Menu

The only label worse than Smooth is "Christian Jazz." They take out all the Satanic notes, like flat 5s, 9s and 13s. When they record anything, they play it backwards to ensure there are no demonic messages encoded in the music.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Banksia
    The only label worse than Smooth is "Christian Jazz." They take out all the Satanic notes, like flat 5s, 9s and 13s. When they record anything, they play it backwards to ensure there are no demonic messages encoded in the music.

User Info Menu

until i started visiting this board i had no idea that pat metheny played straight-ahead jazz. i had only heard him on smooth-jazz stations and thought he was just a listless, weak imitation of toninho horta. i still feel that way, at least when it comes to his version of smooth jazz. i have developed such a dislike for him that i have yet to check out the 'real' jazz side of him. the jazz stations here don't play him, so i guess i'm on my own …

User Info Menu

Smooth Jazz often doesn't swing. I find that it often features a Hip-Hop/ R&B style of drumming. Often consists of a really repetitive melody, a B section, and then a bit of soloing.

I guess that written explanation can apply to alot of different genres, but it's got this "soul" feel I guess you can say. I actually like smooth jazz from certain artists like Spyro Gyra or The Crusaders - but after while it just gets too damn SMOOTH!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Banksia
    LOL

Triton = the devil

User Info Menu

Love it. That's a good blog; I visit frequently.

Then of course there is this piece of genius:

Pat Metheny on Kenny G

User Info Menu

Thanks for the 'reality check", Bill.
    I remind myself of this every time I have to teach a Pop or Rock song.
    I'm payin' the bills with a guitar in my hands!

Cheers, Ron

User Info Menu

Like they say, smooth jazz is a kind of laxative for the mind.

User Info Menu

There's was a time when I thought Larry Carlton played good music.

And then I woke up.

Now I never eat a large meal before I go to bed.

No more nightmares.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbler
    There's was a time when I thought Larry Carlton played good music.
    I have to say that Larry and Lee Ritenour are the 2 players who've disappointed me the most over the years. They both produced some good albums but you have to wade through so much dross I don't bother. In Larry's defence, I still think he is the standard when it comes to getting tone out of an electric guitar.

User Info Menu

I think Larry has repented of his "smooth jazz" ways. I saw him awhile back w/Robben Ford & it was anything but smooth. He pretty much tore it up.