The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 307

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

So what are we suppose to do - post YouTube videos, or talk about technique?

User Info Menu

Both would be fine.
    I just played a funk gig the other day, and purchased a wah pedal today.
    Anyone else play funk?
    Paul Jackson jr. is a great funk/pop rhythm guitarist.

User Info Menu

Robert Palmer with Lowell George and The Meters ...

User Info Menu

Let's not forget Herbie!

User Info Menu

The Meters "Just Kissed My Baby" is my favorite New Orleans funk tune.

Btw, this is a youtube clip but there's no video, beyond a picture of the single. Great groove, and I LOVE the vocal. "Feel like a king, yeah, 'cause I just kissed my baby..."

User Info Menu

What is the ultimate funk-guitar in you guy's opinion?
    I have 5 electrics, all humbucking guitars. I did a funk gig with a semi hollow G&L ASAT deluxe. The guitar gets some decent split sounds, however it is not a real singlecoil sound. Most people seem to mention strats and tele's as the ultimate funk weapon. I have been considering getting a good strat for a while..

User Info Menu

Love this stuff. Not a lot of time in my schedule right now to learn a new style, but after I graduate (next spring) I'm going to turn attention to this, more blues, and playing the piano.

I've got a DVD of Funk Rhythm Guitar that I've made it about halfway through. What would you say overall are the big differences in technique between jazz and funk guitar? Seems to me the chords in funk are a lot simpler, but the rhythms are more complex and more integrated in with the rest of the rhythm section.

I've got a Strat (84 reissue of a 68) that I'll probably use for it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Soco
    What is the ultimate funk-guitar Most people seem to mention strats and tele's as the ultimate funk weapon. I have been considering getting a good strat for a while..

100 percent strat.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markf
    100 percent strat.
    I think you are right. I might have to get one. I never liked playing them, but they sound great for many things. I played a really nice Fender customshop 60's strat NOS. I think that one is the way to go for me...

User Info Menu

I know strats have that defacto funk tone but I like bringing something different to the table. Lately Ive been leaning towards my ES 330 for funk but my 335 is still my #1.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzpunk
    I know strats have that defacto funk tone but I like bringing something different to the table. Lately Ive been leaning towards my ES 330 for funk but my 335 is still my #1.
    These guitars will definitely provide a more r&b an jazzy sound, which is cool.
    Which setting do you use on the 335?

User Info Menu

Strat would be cool, but so would something with a P90 imo.

User Info Menu

These guitars will definitely provide a more r&b an jazzy sound, which is cool.
    Which setting do you use on the 335?
    I stay on the neck pup and run through a Tim pedal into a Headstrong Royal Reverb or my '73 Super Reverb.

You're right though, I definitely like my funk mixed with some R&B and Soul flavor. I like a little meat on the bones if you know what I mean!

Some home town heroes:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FatJeff
    Love this stuff. Not a lot of time in my schedule right now to learn a new style, but after I graduate (next spring) I'm going to turn attention to this, more blues, and playing the piano.
    Check this book out when you get a chance. It's like a master class in keeping it simple and keeping it fonky!

Amazon.com: The Funkmasters-the Great James Brown Rhythm Sections (Manhattan Music Publications) (0029156203028): Allan Slutsky, Chuck Silverman: Books

User Info Menu

Paul Jackson jr. is a great funk/pop rhytm guitarist.
    Paul Jackson jr is great but I wish his albums weren't so smoooooth.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzpunk
    Paul Jackson jr is great but I wish his albums weren't so smoooooth.
    Haven't heard any of his leader stuff, but he sure is a fantastic rhythm guitarist.

User Info Menu

Eddie Hazel, anyone?

I realize it's soloing and no comping, but he's pretty much the P-Funk guitarist.

Or Prince?

User Info Menu

I love funk. To me, of the current crop of funk artists, Prince and Marcus Miller are top 0' the heap.

Baltar Hornbeek Guest
    My buddy here wants me to join him at a funk show tonight. The band is Lettuce with special guest Maceo Parker.

Seems the funkadelic thing is growin these days. I don't know if I have the energy anymore. I should pass, but I think I might go for it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Baltar Hornbeek
    My buddy here wants me to join him at a funk show tonight. The band is Lettuce with special guest Maceo Parker.

Seems the funkadelic thing is growin these days. I don't know if I have the energy anymore. I should pass, but I think I might go for it.
    You need to go to that show! That's a lot of funk and soul on one stage.

User Info Menu

Here are two Sly and the Family Stone clips
    The first one is early on and the James Brown influence is really clear;

The next one is a few years later;

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Everyone knows what a master Nile Rodgers is. I want a see through strat.

User Info Menu

One time, a funkyman asked to me : "Do you know what is the funk ?"
    I answered "no, I don't".
    "It's an happy blues !"