Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 50 of 293

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

So what are we suppose to do - post YouTube videos, or talk about technique?

User Info Menu

Both would be fine.
    I just played a funk gig the other day, and purchased a wah pedal today.
    Anyone else play funk?
    Paul Jackson jr. is a great funk/pop rhythm guitarist.

User Info Menu

Robert Palmer with Lowell George and The Meters ...

User Info Menu

Let's not forget Herbie!

User Info Menu

The Meters "Just Kissed My Baby" is my favorite New Orleans funk tune.

Btw, this is a youtube clip but there's no video, beyond a picture of the single. Great groove, and I LOVE the vocal. "Feel like a king, yeah, 'cause I just kissed my baby..."

"Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

What is the ultimate funk-guitar in you guy's opinion?
    I have 5 electrics, all humbucking guitars. I did a funk gig with a semi hollow G&L ASAT deluxe. The guitar gets some decent split sounds, however it is not a real singlecoil sound. Most people seem to mention strats and tele's as the ultimate funk weapon. I have been considering getting a good strat for a while..

User Info Menu

Love this stuff. Not a lot of time in my schedule right now to learn a new style, but after I graduate (next spring) I'm going to turn attention to this, more blues, and playing the piano.

I've got a DVD of Funk Rhythm Guitar that I've made it about halfway through. What would you say overall are the big differences in technique between jazz and funk guitar? Seems to me the chords in funk are a lot simpler, but the rhythms are more complex and more integrated in with the rest of the rhythm section.

I've got a Strat (84 reissue of a 68) that I'll probably use for it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Soco View Post
    What is the ultimate funk-guitar Most people seem to mention strats and tele's as the ultimate funk weapon. I have been considering getting a good strat for a while..

100 percent strat.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markf View Post
    100 percent strat.
    I think you are right. I might have to get one. I never liked playing them, but they sound great for many things. I played a really nice Fender customshop 60's strat NOS. I think that one is the way to go for me...

User Info Menu

I know strats have that defacto funk tone but I like bringing something different to the table. Lately Ive been leaning towards my ES 330 for funk but my 335 is still my #1.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzpunk View Post
    I know strats have that defacto funk tone but I like bringing something different to the table. Lately Ive been leaning towards my ES 330 for funk but my 335 is still my #1.
    These guitars will definitely provide a more r&b an jazzy sound, which is cool.
    Which setting do you use on the 335?

User Info Menu

Strat would be cool, but so would something with a P90 imo.

User Info Menu

These guitars will definitely provide a more r&b an jazzy sound, which is cool.
    Which setting do you use on the 335?
    I stay on the neck pup and run through a Tim pedal into a Headstrong Royal Reverb or my '73 Super Reverb.

You're right though, I definitely like my funk mixed with some R&B and Soul flavor. I like a little meat on the bones if you know what I mean!

Some home town heroes:

User Info Menu

Jimmy Nolen interview

"
    What type of guitar is that?

This is a "Stratafresher" [a Straighter, made in Japan by Fresher]. Everybody thinks it's a Stratocaster. It's got everything built into it that you would need on the floor, like the floor pedals and stuff like that. It's got sustain, the phase, and automatic wah-*wah built in. This is the only good guitar that's made like that. It works out very good. I been playing this a couple of years. It's very nice.

How many guitars do you have?

I got two. The other is known as the Black Widow. Acoustic didn’t make but one style of guitar like that, and they discon*tinued it. They was making amps, so they tried out making guitars for one year. [Ed. Note: The semi‑hollow Black Widow was marketed by Acoustic in 1972 and '73.] Sometimes I use both of them. I had been playing the Black Widow for about eight years, and before that I played Gibson.

What kind of guitar did you play on "Papa's Got A Brand New Bag"?

That was a Gibson hollow‑box ES‑1 75. That's one of the early‑style guitars. T‑Bone and Lowell Fulson had them at that time. It was hard to get used to playing anything else, but to play with James it wasn't sharp enough.

How do you hold your pick?

Between my thumb and my pointing finger mostly. I use up‑ and down strokes. I rest my little finger on the pickguard and operate from the wrist. I don’t sling my whole arm. Everything is strictly from the wrist.
    Last edited by markf; 01-15-2011 at 05:22 PM. Reason: needed to

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FatJeff View Post
    Love this stuff. Not a lot of time in my schedule right now to learn a new style, but after I graduate (next spring) I'm going to turn attention to this, more blues, and playing the piano.
    Check this book out when you get a chance. It's like a master class in keeping it simple and keeping it fonky!

Amazon.com: The Funkmasters-the Great James Brown Rhythm Sections (Manhattan Music Publications) (0029156203028): Allan Slutsky, Chuck Silverman: Books

User Info Menu

Paul Jackson jr. is a great funk/pop rhytm guitarist.
    Paul Jackson jr is great but I wish his albums weren't so smoooooth.

User Info Menu

Paul Jackson jr is great but I wish his albums weren't so smoooooth.
    Haven't heard any of his leader stuff, but he sure is a fantastic rhythm guitarist.

User Info Menu

Eddie Hazel, anyone?

I realize it's soloing and no comping, but he's pretty much the P-Funk guitarist.

Or Prince?

User Info Menu

Here's my contribution. This me and another guy doing Cissy Strut by the Meters, the Scofield arrangement. I think I programmed the bass and drums, can't remember. I think I used a $200 Chinese archtop.

Cissy Strut by farlow | iCompositions - Music

User Info Menu

I love funk. To me, of the current crop of funk artists, Prince and Marcus Miller are top 0' the heap.

Baltar Hornbeek Guest
    My buddy here wants me to join him at a funk show tonight. The band is Lettuce with special guest Maceo Parker.

Seems the funkadelic thing is growin these days. I don't know if I have the energy anymore. I should pass, but I think I might go for it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Baltar Hornbeek View Post
    My buddy here wants me to join him at a funk show tonight. The band is Lettuce with special guest Maceo Parker.

Seems the funkadelic thing is growin these days. I don't know if I have the energy anymore. I should pass, but I think I might go for it.
    You need to go to that show! That's a lot of funk and soul on one stage.

User Info Menu

Go for it!
    +1 on Prince, a great funk guitarist.

User Info Menu

Here are two Sly and the Family Stone clips
    The first one is early on and the James Brown influence is really clear;

The next one is a few years later;

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Everyone knows what a master Nile Rodgers is. I want a see through strat.

User Info Menu

One time, a funkyman asked to me : "Do you know what is the funk ?"
    I answered "no, I don't".
    "It's an happy blues !"

User Info Menu

I wonder if Ruben Diaz can play the funk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markyboy View Post
    I wonder if Ruben Diaz can play the funk
    Probably not!

User Info Menu

The chicken is the root of all funk.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo View Post
    The chicken is the root of all funk.
    In what way?

User Info Menu

A little Chicken for you strat guys!

User Info Menu

It is my least favorite funk tune.

User Info Menu

Yeah but, bassists love this tune!

User Info Menu

In what way?
    It takes some chicken grease to get the guitar to sit right in yo hands to play Fonkey.

User Info Menu

...looking forward to seeing Maceo in a couple of weeks however for my money I would probably pick Carl Denson's tiny universe (at least for an all nite dance funk party)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Fingers View Post
    ...looking forward to seeing Maceo in a couple of weeks however for my money I would probably pick Carl Denson's tiny universe (at least for an all nite dance funk party)
    I just picked up the 'My Name is Maceo' film. So good!

My only complaint is that they cut to interviews during some of the performances. Hopefully there is an option to just view the concert footage in it's entirety but I can't figure it out.

Denson sat in with Soulive when they came through town in December. Man, they got down!
    Last edited by Jazzpunk; 01-24-2011 at 08:41 PM.

Baltar Hornbeek Guest
    Maeco played that "shake everything you got" thing last week in Brooklyn....was off the hook!
    Last edited by Baltar Hornbeek; 01-25-2011 at 01:08 PM.

User Info Menu

Wow .... how did I miss this thread...This is what I do over half my gigs... I live in the pocket. Before we bring up the singeras we make sure no one is in their seat, usually with Sanborn, Herbie or what I dig are R&B tunes with a jazz/funk groove out of control but always in the pocket... I know how to play my part... and when I solo ...it's nothing but octaves singin those groove lines... a little shred here and there just to let audience know this is as live as it gets... The only bitch is most of those gigs are 4 hours and late...
    Hey Balta... you dig Tower... i know they get a little vanilla some times but they get away with playing so much and never lose the feel, I hang with some of the guys, Tom Politzer the current tenor sax is great jazz player... we play golf more than music. The previous tenor player, Norbert Stachel is also great friend... also great player, and a little off the charts... we been in different bands together, he hangs in NY... here's a sample of him somewhere...
    ... Hey keep this thread under... I'll start posting... Reg

User Info Menu

Here's a nice funky number by Soco!

Baltar Hornbeek Guest
    Yo Soco! right on man!

Here's some brooklyn funk, Mokaad...they call him the white james brown.

User Info Menu

Here's a nice funky number by Soco!

Nice playing man.

User Info Menu

can't believe anyone likes that tune. that riff was beaten to death by 1969.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the comments on my clip!
    I agree on the chicken-riff being beaten to death!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markf View Post
    can't believe anyone likes that tune. that riff was beaten to death by 1969.
    I think some like to play it because every single change in the tune can be played as a chromatically descending tri tone.

Bb7-Eb7-D7-G7-C7-F7

Baltar Hornbeek Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    Hey Balta... you dig Tower... ... Reg
    What?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Baltar Hornbeek View Post
    What?
    Tower of Power!

Baltar Hornbeek Guest
    Whoa, 1972. That's going way back. I missed nearly all the funk back then. The closest I got was maybe some like in the attached vid. Check out Anderson beating son clave on cow bell and Squire always brings the funk.

Last edited by Baltar Hornbeek; 01-26-2011 at 02:35 PM.

User Info Menu

+1 for Chris Squire as funkiest Prog Rock bassist !

Baltar - this clip belongs in the "Official Prog Rockers who became Jazzers" thread. Don't look for it, as I haven't started it yet, but if I did the list would start with Steve Howe & Bill Bruford (both ex Yes) followed by ......?
    Have no secrets, hear no lies.