Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Posts 201 to 250 of 293

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whosgarethparry View Post

here's a recent gig. some slide guitar in a funk context...
    Grant Green's Jan Jan?! LOVE IT! Big Grant Green fan. My band has started playing Grant's tune Matador.

On the album, are you using an envelop filter exclusively or do you also use a wah pedal? Just curious. Great playing and great feel!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Hey Man, Glad you dig. We love those Grant Green/Lou Donaldson vibes, kinda where this band started. On the record I borrowed an Xotic Robotalk 2, a great pedal, i mainly used the right Channel of the 2. The rest was an Ernie Ball wah, which I've since retired...but then i'm always changing wah pedals, i mean, i got a serious problem. I think my dream board would just have 15 wah pedals on it..

User Info Menu

Nice bonus track off of Lettuce's last release.

User Info Menu

Grant Green's son Jr and the most passionate vibes-player I've ever seen!

Jazz, Funk, Soul & Boogaloo: My group | Listen to Hip Jazz a Go Go! | Jazz, Soul, Blues: Eva La Voix

Hey guys, we're realeasing a 45 on the German Our Label Records.
    This is a live version of one of the tunes. Great to get you guys feedback

get the single here in europe

Our Label Records - Handmade Heavy Funk Vinyl

or pm for US...

shameless plug over...

User Info Menu

Guts - Man Funk

« Ce qui m'intéresse surtout dans le jazz, c'est que c'est un bon mot pour le Scrabble. » Philippe Geluck

User Info Menu

Found this old recording of my group's saxplayer, when he was still touring with Ronald Shannon Jackson's Free Funk Society. It's not really my cup of tea, but it has a cool solo of Vernon Reid on banjo!

And another one as a bonus (again not really my cup of tea...)

Jazz, Funk, Soul & Boogaloo: My group | Listen to Hip Jazz a Go Go! | Jazz, Soul, Blues: Eva La Voix

User Info Menu

End this week with some down home Funk with Derwin "Big D" Perkins on guitar.

No, I'm not going to give you the answer to your question. I don't want to deny you the pleasure you'll receive when you figure it out yourself. -- Bill Evans talking to his brother.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop View Post
    End this week with some down home Funk with Derwin "Big D" Perkins on guitar. ]
    Daaamn, Big D is smooth. Nice comping, sweet solo. Thanks for hipping me to him. I'm going to check out more of his stuff.

User Info Menu

Lennie White, From one of the great fusion records

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Soco View Post
    What is the ultimate funk-guitar in you guy's opinion?
    I have 5 electrics, all humbucking guitars. I did a funk gig with a semi hollow G&L ASAT deluxe. The guitar gets some decent split sounds, however it is not a real singlecoil sound. Most people seem to mention strats and tele's as the ultimate funk weapon. I have been considering getting a good strat for a while..
    A Gibson 3X5, but with the Varitone. That's what gets the funkiest tones out of a 3X5.
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 12-11-2014 at 01:44 PM.

User Info Menu

Hi,

Roméro Groove Band - Funny Side Up

Marine Allain / Vocal
    Stéphane Ramin / Guitar
    Florent Landreau / Keyboards
    Fabrice Guilbault / Drums
    Laurent Goubioud / Bass
    « Ce qui m'intéresse surtout dans le jazz, c'est que c'est un bon mot pour le Scrabble. » Philippe Geluck

User Info Menu

Into the ever expanding funk category....by way of cosmic decree...

User Info Menu

Anyone here remember Sesame Street?

Check out those crazy changing time signatures.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marwin Moody View Post
    Anyone here remember Sesame Street?

Check out those crazy changing time signatures.
    Never heard of it. Can you tell me how to get, how to get to sesame street?

K

User Info Menu

Sheryl Bailey laying down some funky lines:

https://www.facebook.com/theoutoftownerstoronto

some vids etc it's like Dr Lonnie havin a knife fight with electric era Miles....

here's some of our tour dates commin up. more to be added as we go. be great to see any forum members if ya live near.. any suggestions of venues we should hit would be appreciated.

destinytot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzpunk View Post
    Sheryl Bailey laying down some funky lines:

Does anyone know what gear she's using to get that sound? Thanks!
    Last edited by destinytot; 03-29-2015 at 07:24 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by destinytot View Post
    Does anyone know what gear she's using to get that sound? Thanks!
    McCurdy Mercury Sheryl Bailey Model - CR Guitars

I believe the auto wah is the Boss model.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzpunk View Post
    McCurdy Mercury Sheryl Bailey Model - CR Guitars

I believe the auto wah is the Boss model.
    Sheryl recently had McCurdy build her a Strat-style guitar.

Last edited by docbop; 03-29-2015 at 09:40 PM.
    No, I'm not going to give you the answer to your question. I don't want to deny you the pleasure you'll receive when you figure it out yourself. -- Bill Evans talking to his brother.

destinytot Guest
    Auto wah - thanks!

User Info Menu

Hi,

Nytro - Atomic Funk

User Info Menu

Hi,

Richard "Groove" Holmes - This Is The Me Me (Not The You You)

User Info Menu

New tunes from the upcoming Forq album.

Last edited by Jazzpunk; 06-23-2015 at 09:11 PM.

User Info Menu

Bruce Conte guitar solo starts at 1:15 in:

User Info Menu

Wow, I need to take a day off to watch all the vids here. I see there is some love for The Meters - of course you can't talk about The Meters in a Jazz guitar forum without mentioning this track:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markf View Post
    100 percent strat.
    Not quite. I just saw Tower of Power a few days ago. Jerry Cortez used a 335 most of the night. Years ago one of their other guitarists Bruce Conti used a Les Paul.

Conti

Cortez

Interviewer: Musically speaking, 50 years from now, how would you like to be remembered?
    Metheny: It doesn’t matter.

User Info Menu

Grooving on some Dumpstaphunk this morning:

Last edited by Jazzpunk; 08-02-2015 at 12:40 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
    Wow, I need to take a day off to watch all the vids here. I see there is some love for The Meters - of course you can't talk about The Meters in a Jazz guitar forum without mentioning this track:

I'm a long time Meters' fan. Leo Nocentelli the guitar player had a great rhythm style. I think that he wrote most of their hits. I understand that he played a 175 on the classic stuff. He played a hb Fender (maybe had a center block). double cutaway (maybe offset) sort of like a 335 with a Fender style headstock at some point. Is that the Starcaster? He's been playing a 335 for a while now. Jimmy Nolen and Leo Nocentelli. Two great funk guitarists.
    Last edited by mrcee; 08-02-2015 at 04:11 PM.

User Info Menu

This took me by surprise. Very sad song;

Rick never lost his passion.

User Info Menu

I'm late to this thread, sorry I don't have time to read 10 pages of posts right this moment.

I just wanted to chime in with a few random thoughts: James Brown, greatest groovemaster ever. He is the king. His bands were matchless. I heard a song yesterday by the JB's where they branch out a bit--awesome stuff! James was a flawed human being, but what a talent. I don't think most people appreciate how revolutionary he was.

BTW, watch the Live at the Apollo or the TAMI videos to get an idea of what James brought to popular music. Never seen before, will never be seen again.

Funkadelic/Parliament--great groovy stuff. The live album from Rochester NY with Maggot Brain is one of the all-time funk-fusion classics.

Marvin Gaye--my favorite vocalist. His later stuff brings soul into the "cool funk" era. (Interestingly, he was in the hospital in Chattanooga at the same time as my father--was in the bed next to him in the ICU--suffered a heart problem while performing there.)

destinytot Guest

User Info Menu

Big Sam's Funky Nation is yet another fun, funky New Orleans band.

"Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Some lame sounds on this but nice guitar and bass;

User Info Menu

Beautiful voice;

destinytot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol View Post
    Beautiful voice;

Love this. Brings back memories of The Fatback Band... The Gap Band... Fat Larry's Band And I realised I recognised Cameo's She's Strange.

But only the names and the sound are familiar.

Speaking of sound, I'm a very big fan of synth bass. I've posted about it on the 'jazz as a medium for self-expression' thread, but I think Bernard Wright's work here is phenomenal, so I'm posting again - I love how space in the bass line contributes to the groove:

Love the groove and the use of space from 01:00 here, too:

I'm not a fan of subsonic bass. I can see a place for it (I think that's in a reggae 'sound system'.)

And I think I would enjoy a good synth bass groove for listening/dancing. I don't think I could sing or play to it - it's overwhelmingly good. When I hear it, I get Lost in Music like Sister Sledge (or 'solid gone' like Phil Harris's take on Baloo).

On the other hand, a James Jamerson groove inspires me to sing/play - and it moves me down to my soul:

User Info Menu

^^^
    Bass is tricky. Sometimes the part goes below low E and you have to work it out. Bass on the keys is an option. I know all these bass/guitar parts. The rhythm guitar on 'Take Your Time' is a real workout.
    I'm going to get a little synth. For drum tracks I'll stick to switching between part A/B. Nothing fancy. The only other tech thing I want to include is vocal harmonizers. I was going to sell the one I have but maybe I'll hang on to it. It actually works.
    That's it for the 'fake' stuff- Drum tracks and harmonizers.
    I wish this bass player got more credit. He's one of the best ever in pop. Sade had some nice ballads. This would be a nice tune for a guitar player to rock out on or do a smooth thing;

Dance bands need good ballads.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by destinytot View Post
    Love this. Brings back memories of The Fatback Band... The Gap Band... Fat Larry's Band And I realised I recognised Cameo's She's Strange.

But only the names and the sound are familiar.

Speaking of sound, I'm a very big fan of synth bass. I've posted about it on the 'jazz as a medium for self-expression' thread, but I think Bernard Wright's work here is phenomenal, so I'm posting again - I love how space in the bass line contributes to the groove:

Love the groove and the use of space from 01:00 here, too:

I'm not a fan of subsonic bass. I can see a place for it (I think that's in a reggae 'sound system'.)

And I think I would enjoy a good synth bass groove for listening/dancing. I don't think I could sing or play to it - it's overwhelmingly good. When I hear it, I get Lost in Music like Sister Sledge (or 'solid gone' like Phil Harris's take on Baloo).

On the other hand, a James Jamerson groove inspires me to sing/play - and it moves me down to my soul:
    I don't want to operate drum tracks and be the main guitarist or bass player. There are other things to do while doing drums like singing harmonies and doing synth parts. I'll try one of these mini synths to see if I'm comfortable on it. I need to learn more about sub-sonics and DJ stuff.
    I think bands in LA add more members to do the little things. That's OK but it doesn't hurt to be versatile. If I'm doing a synth bass part the bass player can hop on keys, congos or something.
    Funkin for Jamaica can be transposed to E but it might be better to do it on a synth in C.
    A 6 piece band should be able to handle most material.
    Last edited by Stevebol; 08-04-2015 at 12:42 PM.

destinytot Guest
    Classic Hiram Bullock from 03:02 and from 07:19

This popped up - looks interesting:

User Info Menu

The Pimps of Joytime

User Info Menu

^^^
    haha. pretty good

User Info Menu

Some old Prince;

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

What do you think of SFJazzCollective's take on Stevie?

Or Herbie's stuff on Thrust or Man-Child?

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

are you telling me to get the funk outta your face? Shesh. Whatever happened to:

User Info Menu

Lol
    No, I wasn't.

User Info Menu

Outstanding videos, thanks for posting!

But now after watching x videos about funky, I am more curious about the funk guitar technique. IS all about a special rhythm? I mean you play the same lick with a funky groove?

How do You play the funk? OR how do you practice it?

thanks.