Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 100 of 293

User Info Menu

This is a good thread, let's say no to "spamenco" and keep this going!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by newsense View Post
    +1 for Chris Squire as funkiest Prog Rock bassist !

Baltar - this clip belongs in the "Official Prog Rockers who became Jazzers" thread. Don't look for it, as I haven't started it yet, but if I did the list would start with Steve Howe & Bill Bruford (both ex Yes) followed by ......?
    Sad news for you newsense.... Bill Bruford was, "effectively forced out of music a couple of years ago by a debilitating anxiety about my perceived performance inadequacies, as surprising as it was unwelcome." I took this from a letter he wrote to the UK Musicians Union quarterly journal. He goes on, "I retired at 60 after 41 years, but my last few years were indeed difficult as I slowly fell out of love with music-making to the point of being unwilling to play publicly."

That's what listening to Jon Anderson does for you

Apparently he's fully fit physically and seeks no remedies for the situation but has "long since come to terms with what befell me, even if I don't fully understand it."

User Info Menu

Very cool...great feel, both guys... would dig playing with them.... years ago I played a few gigs with Randy Jackson and Steve Smith, and Tom Coster was on keyboards... those cays could play, anyway here's a little groove thing... not much, But you can start to feel where I come from. I have all jazz gigs for week , but I'll video something from next R&B/funk gig...Reg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    anyway here's a little groove thing...
    Yeah man, that was hot! Looking forward to the clips from the R&B gig.

User Info Menu

outstanding, who the h@#l are you?
    Last edited by markf; 01-30-2011 at 06:28 PM.

User Info Menu

Very cool...great feel, both guys... would dig playing with them.... years ago I played a few gigs with Randy Jackson and Steve Smith, and Tom Coster was on keyboards... those cays could play, anyway here's a little groove thing... not much, But you can start to feel where I come from. I have all jazz gigs for week , but I'll video something from next R&B/funk gig...Reg

Awesome!

User Info Menu

Smokin' Reg, Just smokin.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Wow... do you really remember that tune. I remember playing that tune in battle of the bands when I was in school, 60's. The funny thing is I played it at a gig a couple of weeks ago and man we were gettin funky... Reg
    Last edited by Reg; 02-01-2011 at 12:30 PM.

User Info Menu

When James Jamerson was asked why he had never, ever, changed the dirty old strings on his Precision, he replied, "the funk is in the dirt".

User Info Menu

Here's one for trivia buffs:

The Drells didn't actually play on Tighten Up. Archie was in the Army, stationed in Germany at the time and recorded it with the TSU Tornadoes (sometimes called TSU Toronados) while he was home on leave.

T.S.U. Toronados: Information from Answers.com

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by max chill View Post
    When James Jamerson was asked why he had never, ever, changed the dirty old strings on his Precision, he replied, "the funk is in the dirt".

Jamerson is the definition of Funk!!!!

Hearing those lines are just so sweet. There's a Jackson 5 track he did the bass line is almost like a solo different lines constantly thru the song. I think it was Darling Dear.

Then he played all that with only using one-finger on his picking hand. Then his classic bass line from What's Goin On that most bass players still can't play right. They had been working all day, he was tired, pissed off, and drunk and laying in the floor when he recorded it. The Funk Brother would record all day for $25 a tune, play a club gig at night, then go back to Motown to record more. So much great music.

Thank you Funk Brothers your music is a Masters Class in rhythm section playing.
    Last edited by docbop; 02-02-2011 at 12:29 AM.

User Info Menu

From a recent funk gig!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Soco View Post
    From a recent funk gig!
    Yowza, that solo was smokin'!

User Info Menu

very nice.

speaking as an oldtimer, do you think a little feedback might sound good in there somewhere?

I do

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzpunk View Post
    Yowza, that solo was smokin'!
    Thanks man!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markf View Post
    very nice.

speaking as an oldtimer, do you think a little feedback might sound good in there somewhere?

I do
    Thanks, you mean musical feedback Hendrix style?
    It might work, but I am not sure that I was playing loud enough for it. Also it is a pretty upbeat tune, with a relatively short solo.. I'll look into it though!

User Info Menu

Here is another clip from the same gig. The singer Shayna Steele is really awesome:

User Info Menu

hanks, you mean musical feedback Hendrix style?
    yes, but, sorry you don't need suggestions from me. I just like feedback, and you don't hear it much.

great playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markf View Post
    yes, but, sorry you don't need suggestions from me. I just like feedback, and you don't hear it much.

great playing.
    It is a good suggestion! I'll see what I can do.

User Info Menu

Great solo there Soco!! I thought it fit in well!! Mix of rock,jazz funk and blues all in one! What is that that you're playing? ( guitar? )

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by keith View Post
    Great solo there Soco!! I thought it fit in well!! Mix of rock,jazz funk and blues all in one! What is that that you're playing? ( guitar? )
    Hey thanks! I am playing a lot of different types of music and I am trying to mix up things a bit!
    I am playing a semi hollow G&L ASAT deluxe on this clip.

User Info Menu

Another clip from the same gig with the Russian rapper Krussia:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop View Post
    Jamerson is the definition of Funk!!!!

Hearing those lines are just so sweet.
    Thank you Funk Brothers your music is a Masters Class in rhythm section playing.
    what a fantastic bass line in that tune!!!!

he was at the top. too bad the bass players these days don't understand how to play funk. too busy.

stevie wonder has played some serious funk, also, the bass/drummer team from little feat. and Carol Kay.

User Info Menu

Great band Soco... sounds like too much fun. Beautiful playin... Next time I'm in NY or Boston... hook me up... I always playin jazz... keep posting, Best Reg

User Info Menu

Great band Soco... sounds like too much fun. Beautiful playin... Next time I'm in NY or Boston... hook me up... I always playin jazz... keep posting, Best Reg
    Thanks man! Will do!
    We have another gig at The Shrine on 2/25!

User Info Menu

Wow I just noticed that this thread has over 1000 viewings since January 14th.

This is a hot thread

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW400 View Post
    Wow I just noticed that this thread has over 1000 viewings since January 14th.

This is a hot thread
    Indeed, more views than all the spamenco threads put together, or maybe not yet there are thousands of them.

User Info Menu

Anyone who wears a shirt with my buddy Buckwheat on it is "otay" in my book. Dirty, filthy, Broadway...go get 'em Hiram...

User Info Menu

Wow... I liked his playing a lot more when he toured with Sanborn, that was a little roooocky. Maybe he was too thin, might be a weight thing... great post though, thanks Reg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by newsense View Post
    +1 for Chris Squire as funkiest Prog Rock bassist !

Baltar - this clip belongs in the "Official Prog Rockers who became Jazzers" thread. Don't look for it, as I haven't started it yet, but if I did the list would start with Steve Howe & Bill Bruford (both ex Yes) followed by ......?

Did you start the Prog rock thread ??

User Info Menu

Check this book out when you get a chance. It's like a master class in keeping it simple and keeping it fonky!

Amazon.com: The Funkmasters-the Great James Brown Rhythm Sections (Manhattan Music Publications) (0029156203028): Allan Slutsky, Chuck Silverman: Books
    great book !!!

User Info Menu

Any footage from the gig Soco?

User Info Menu

Any footage from the gig Soco?
    Hi, not yet, but they are working on it. I think the guitar might be a little low in the mix. I was actually playing my new custom shop strat, fun stuff.
    I was really glad to play with these guys, they are great musicians.

User Info Menu

Hi, not yet, but they are working on it. I think the guitar might be a little low in the mix. I was actually playing my new custom shop strat, fun stuff.
    I was really glad to play with these guys, they are great musicians.
    New strat, eh? Sweet!

User Info Menu

Yupp, I am digging this guitar.

User Info Menu

Yupp, I am digging this guitar.
    Right on. Lookin' forward to hearing it in action!

User Info Menu

Hey... sorry didn't post anything sooner... I played this tune at gig last night... was way cool, too much fun. Tpt player brought ... like Lee Morgans Sidewinder. Called Una Mas by Kenny Dorham... old school but still cool. I'm just got copy so I'm basically reading through... Reg

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

party music from Venezuela... a lot of fun to see live....

User Info Menu

Great playing Soco!!

You guys need to hang your head in shame......4 pages and no mention yet of..........MANDRILL!!!

Check out the syncopation on this sukka

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Foulds Jazz Guitars View Post

Nice!

User Info Menu

Some more nola funk!

User Info Menu

Some Friday night funk!

got turned on to this little gem the other day......

this is another project i play guitar for, no fancy guitarwork, but hope you like it. let me know what you think guys.......

User Info Menu

here's a lousy version of one of my non-jazz tunes, sometimes depending on what players... it can and does get in the funk zone... Reg

User Info Menu

A full eleven tablespoons of boiling Memphis guitar....Cornell Dupree..1:35

Last edited by max chill; 07-01-2011 at 06:14 PM.

what a tune!!!!! first time i heard that drum break on the live @filmore album i think i made my mate rewind it 20 times! soooo good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Richb View Post
    YEAH, best thread currently on this forum. Reg, sounds just GREAT. Loose, pocket playing man!!!

Soco, GREAT playing, cool lines - what box you use for od?
    Hi, thanks a lot! I was using a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 mosfet overdrive pedal.