The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 50

User Info Menu

Her is Danny Gatton in a very cool and funky clip!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have quite a few of his CD's (like 14 or so). He was truly gifted. The other telemaster that I always dug is Roy Buchanan. I have quite a lot of stuff by him to.

Guitar Player printed a notation/tab version of Danny's version of Harlem Nocturne from Crusin' Dueces some years back. I still have it .

some issues are worth keeping

User Info Menu

Jim Campilongo is worth checking out, too.

User Info Menu

I have his Heaven Is Creepy CD. I wasn't impressed. He must have been going for something and I just didn't get it. Recommend me something and I'll give him another listen

User Info Menu

I think that's a good enough representation. Different strokes, ya know?

Have y'all heard the Joe Pass/Roy Clark session with Hank Williams' tunes?

User Info Menu

I love good country pickin' - at it's best, it's fun, it's entertaining and at the top level, it's virtuosic.

Here are a couple of the best country players around at the moment...

Brent Mason, with a bit of western swing...

Brad Paisley, telecaster twanger supreme...

Last edited by reventlov; 11-30-2010 at 05:49 AM.

User Info Menu

Speaking of Roy Clark, Check out the old Hee Haw reruns. He play's a mean guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW400
    Speaking of Roy Clark, Check out the old Hee Haw reruns. He play's a mean guitar.
    Agreed. Watching Hee Haw as a kid was part of what inspried me to play. That Roy and Joe Pass recording was out of print last time I checked, and used copies on Amazon were crazy expensive. I would love to see that reissued.

User Info Menu

Aren't there some You tube clips of Roy with JP?

User Info Menu

yes there are several on youtube...here's one...

User Info Menu

Lot's of great stuff in this thread-keep em' coming!
    Love the Roy Clark/Joe Pass stuff.

User Info Menu

I got around to the Jimmy Bryant clip-pretty bad-ass!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Soco
    I got around to the Jimmy Bryant clip-pretty bad-ass!
    Let me see if I remember this correctly. Bryant played that on an electric 12-string, Fender maybe. Instead of tuning it like a normal 12er, he tuned the courses in 3rds. Danny Gatton didn't know this & learned how play it on a six string using double stops cause he just thought that was what Bryant did.

Has anyone else heard that before?

User Info Menu

I have a CD or two by many of the guys mentioned above. Another one to check out is, "Country Soul Guitar," by Duke Levine.

User Info Menu

Love the Scotty Anderson lesson video-that guy is serious!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by reventlov
    But some of the thirds are major thirds, and others are minor, so that can't really be true......this is how you do it....
    Well, the story persists. I thought I read it in the liner notes to one of my CDs, but I can't find it in the stacks! A little googling came up with discussions about the Jimmy Bryant 12-string tuning and a general googling consensus says that it's ...

EG, AC, DF, GB, BD, EG#

But there are other tunings. Some have it as all minor 3rds, and some have it as above or mixed in various ways. I'm not sure if they how they are paired. On most 12ers I've played, the higher sounding string is before the lower sounding one, though I've heard that Rickenbachers have it differently.

I'm not claiming that this can't be done on a six string. It's obvious that it can be done. What I'm saying is that JB used a cool 12er tuning.

User Info Menu

Joe Cinderalla used to work on a tuning in 3rds or at least that's what I'm told. He's a local NY-NJ guitar hero from back in the day.

As far as the Gatton story there is a similar one I read in GP about Joe Walsh and George Harrison's solo on "And You Bird Can Sing"

Joe said he thought Harrison played the parts together rather than overdubs so Joe worked on that solo learning to play both parts at the same time.

I wonder how many of us thought the same thing?

Archie Guest
    Another country guitarist worth checking out is Albert Lee (from cockney country).

User Info Menu

nice, but who is the third guitarist with roy and joe? I like his playing.

User Info Menu

Looks Like John Pisano. You know....the guy with the Eastman named after him

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW400
    Looks Like John Pisano. You know....the guy with the Eastman named after him
    Interesting!

User Info Menu

I really love Albert Lee, check out how he is working the B-Bender!

User Info Menu

Hey whatever hapened to Johnny Hilland? I know he was kind of a Gatton clone. I saw one album a bunch of endorsements and that's it.

User Info Menu

Jerry Reed

Roy Nichols with Merle Haggard

Redd Volkaert

Enjoy,
    monk

User Info Menu

Before this thread gets toatally burried in Flamenco threads: Albert Lee, Vince Gill and Danny Gatton together: