The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 34 of 34

User Info Menu

I'll be watching that today...at least some of it...if only to see how he makes a 90 minute class out of a two chord mixolydian jam...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I'll be watching that today...at least some of it...if only to see how he makes a 90 minute class out of a two chord mixolydian jam...
    A nice exposition on fundamentals-he did that on the Oscar Peterson Master Class he broadcast--

Cliff Notes version (much of the time is spent playing or listening)
    1. general quarter note = 176 is the pulse
    2. Upon this pulse is the meat and potato combination of 8th notes (mainly), augmented by triplets and 16th note combinations. He notes a different state for each note (8th --New York; triplets--Tennessee; 16th--Mississippi).
    3. Discusses the primacy of A mixo in a general discussion of modes of D Major
    4. Musical ideas are presented as complete or fragmentary sentences, either short 2-4 bar phrases or extended *sentences* (beginning, middle, conclusion).
    5. Phil and Jerry are the prime improvisers, playing contrapuntally in A mixo, playing complete musical phrases that occupy different part of the register (Phil is very unique insofar as he plays in the higher register of the bass, and plays lines that are off-the-beat, where the beat is implied).
    6. Bob plays the chords, in a sort of three note diatonic modal planing, i.e., triads, and sequences based on the notes of the mixo mode (classic modal planing is often 3 note 1st inversion triads or quatral harmony, but he doesn't really get into it).
    7. Drummers rise and fall in intensity as the music ebbs and flows.
    8. Distinguishes between swung 8ths and straight 8ths.

User Info Menu

Cool!

User Info Menu

this was an unexpected surprise. like many here, i was weened on the improvisational licks of Jerome G.

most recently, in september my wife and i traveled to Red Rocks Co. to see "Furthur". believe it or not that group is incredible. incredible for reproducing the "magic" of the grateful dead experience, while playing tighter and more polished than i ever heard the dead sound. check it out:

Furthur Live at Red Rocks Amphitheater on 2012-09-21 : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

i don't know the guys name but the lead guitarist is from the Dark Star Orchestra and for better or worse he sounds eerily like Garcia.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by J. Murrieta
    this was an unexpected surprise. like many here, i was weened on the improvisational licks of Jerome G.

most recently, in september my wife and i traveled to Red Rocks Co. to see "Furthur". believe it or not that group is incredible. incredible for reproducing the "magic" of the grateful dead experience, while playing tighter and more polished than i ever heard the dead sound. check it out:

Furthur Live at Red Rocks Amphitheater on 2012-09-21 : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

i don't know the guys name but the lead guitarist is from the Dark Star Orchestra and for better or worse he sounds eerily like Garcia.

You should check out Phil & friends. they have been touring lately back east... I like them alot more than Furthur.

User Info Menu

will do. thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzgtrl4
    You should check out Phil & friends. they have been touring lately back east... I like them alot more than Furthur.
    Are you an organ donor?

Anyway, I'm listening to "Dick's Picks 2" (10/31/1971 Dark Star>Sugar Mag>St. Stephen>NFA>GDTRFB>NFA for the heads) again. Jerry's got a wonderful tone and there's a lot of emotion here. He had this way of holding the strings--although some people tell me it was the pick. Even beyond Garcia, it's cool to listen to the group mind here.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Octal
    Are you an organ donor?

Anyway, I'm listening to "Dick's Picks 2" (10/31/1971 Dark Star>Sugar Mag>St. Stephen>NFA>GDTRFB>NFA for the heads) again. Jerry's got a wonderful tone and there's a lot of emotion here. He had this way of holding the strings--although some people tell me it was the pick. Even beyond Garcia, it's cool to listen to the group mind here.

haaaa not an organ donor yet. Ya thats great stuff there 70's dead!

User Info Menu

talking about dick's picks...volume 1 has always been my favorite. great set of music...the boys were really on that night!