The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 46 of 46

User Info Menu

My Weber Metolius mandolin , 1 of 10 made . Port Orford Cedar top and a figured Myrtle body and neck , a bit fuller sound . Your favorite non-guitar fretted stringed instrument?-my-metolius-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Theorbo and the entire viola da gamba family. Yes, I'm into the "early music idiom" (and ideology O:-) ) but those who aren't could check out index.html

User Info Menu

FWIW, I was talking about instruments you like to play, not just listen to.
    And yes Woody, Pedal Steel counts - I've never played one, but I love the sound!

User Info Menu

Heh, I would like to play theorbo and have played gamba, so there

User Info Menu

Greywolf, that myrtlewood on that Weber is quite pretty

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    Theorbo and the entire viola da gamba family. Yes, I'm into the "early music idiom" (and ideology O:-) ) but those who aren't could check out index.html
    Tell us more - I'd enjoy hearing about what folks are into. It (strings) is such a vast world - when you open it up to all that's gone down...

For me, flamenco knocked my socks off 30+ years ago and has been unrelenting. Grew up studying classical, but I don't remember the last time I played anything (on nylon) that wasn't flamenco, or Bach. All-encompassing is the word. As is usual for me, the more I study in a genre, the further back I reach. Then I started listening to Jordi Savall (renown gambaist) and Hesperion ensemble Occident/Orient iterations, which places the music in great context - from Africa to al-Andulus, and of course the Occident. Diving into oud, I don't think I can extricate myself - too all-encompassing - the essence.

I've done this deep dive into old forms elsewhere - Gaelic music, Scandinavian, and of course blues, jazz, American folk - and it's all highly, highly distracting from what I should be doing - which is playing jazz. But I'm a hopeless case, which is why I'll never be a jazzman even though my life is consumed by it (I have this voracious appetite for improvised music and spend all my time listening). Some days I fantasize that I'll get out my horns (which I haven't studied on since my kids left the house) and forget about my house full of sonorous stringed instruments...

This whole gamba/viol thing - it all started with jazz bass, the king of strings. One rabbit hole after another...
    Last edited by randal; 05-12-2023 at 02:22 PM.

User Info Menu

Steel guitar!

User Info Menu

Lute and related instruments. Such a sweet sound. And if course you can play modern music on it, too.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I just recently bought a cheap Recording King Tenor guitar. $200 but a lot of fun to play and learn new tricks on. I also play ukulele (lead the local Uke Club).

User Info Menu

I like the charango too. It's so tiny but can be really loud. Picked one up in Chile, and have used it on a bunch of recordings. If you play guitar it's super easy to figure out the neck. Strumming style takes some practice. Mine's all wood, those armadillo ones are kinda gross, especially when they leave the head on!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gilpy
    I like the charango too. It's so tiny but can be really loud. Picked one up in Chile, and have used it on a bunch of recordings. If you play guitar it's super easy to figure out the neck. Strumming style takes some practice. Mine's all wood, those armadillo ones are kinda gross, especially when they leave the head on!
    I think it's better if I don't tell you that when my wife was pregnant with our 2nd child she could often be found
    inhaling deeply from the sound hole...

User Info Menu

I found violin easy to pick up but I'd been playing viola for 8 years at that point.

I've always wanted to learn harp. It seems difficult though.

User Info Menu

Mandolin, renaissance lute (13 courses), 5 string (open back) banjo...
    No uke (cant bound with that thing...)

User Info Menu

Two of my five. Acoustic by Thomas Buchanan, UK:

Your favorite non-guitar fretted stringed instrument?-img_0680-jpeg

electric by Almuse, UK:

Your favorite non-guitar fretted stringed instrument?-img_0179-jpeg

I only play 10-string now, but grew up playing violin, played rock guitar in the 70s, played professional viola in an orchestra until 2014.

The acoustic is great for folk dances, whether contra or English Country Dance. The electric is my jazz axe. One album on the acoustic, three with the electric.

www.twtunes.com

User Info Menu

I've been into lots of Brazilian music on guitar, accordion, etc and I recently got this for my retirement years.
    Attached Images Attached Images Your favorite non-guitar fretted stringed instrument?-screenshot_20230819_222308_chrome-jpg 

User Info Menu

I think the top 10-string player is Hamilton de Holanda. His 24 Caprichos are impressive, I recorded three of them.

User Info Menu

Though looking at my face you probably would not think it is my favourite...

User Info Menu

I go back and forth between mandolin and banjo, both tenor and five string (played as a plectrum) as my non-guitar favorites. It's been awhile since I messed with my violin, but that's another one I enjoy.

User Info Menu

I now have a mandolin as well as a mandola and an octave mandolin.
    I've been leaning towards the mandola lately.

User Info Menu

Here's what can be done with a 10-string electric in bass/drums trio. Keith Jarret's "'Long As You Know You're Living Yours":

User Info Menu

Nice - always loved that song!

User Info Menu

"Tenor" (although it's actually Alto, isn't it?) banjo. I like the perfect fifths tuning in an instrument whose register is not so high (as in mandolin, for instance). Perfect fifths tuning makes it possible to play Bach Cello Suites.

I'm so absorbed by jazz guitar (with the little time I have for it anyway) that my banjo has been comfortably sleeping in it's gig bag for the last 10 years or so.

Anyway... here's an old video of myself having a go at J.S. Bach's Corrente from Cello Suite 1.