The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I will never conquer jazz although I love the challenge, and I learn so much from working on it. I have played other styles and one of my favorite musicians from the folk world is the late John Hartford.

It seems that when he passed away, he left many tunes written out that he never got around to recording.

A friend of mine attending a mandolin camp got a copy of one of these tunes and I learned it from a copy he gave me.

It's called Old Beveled Mirror.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Nice job, sounded very Latin.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzjourney4Eva
    Nice job, sounded very Latin.
    Thanks for listening. I like working on tunes like this for picking technique. Lots of arpeggios. If you record them then you can't lie to yourself. You can either do it or you can't. This is 16th's at 75 BPM and I'd really like it around 100 to sound more musical.

User Info Menu

Wow, that is VERY cool. Thank you for this one.

A few years before John died, we started sharing transcriptions of our favorite fiddlers, then our original tunes with each other. He sent me hundreds of tunes he wrote. I need to go through and see if this one is in there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Petimar
    Wow, that is VERY cool. Thank you for this one.

A few years before John died, we started sharing transcriptions of our favorite fiddlers, then our original tunes with each other. He sent me hundreds of tunes he wrote. I need to go through and see if this one is in there.
    Wow, lucky you! John Hartford was a truly original artist. I have played one other of his tunes called Illinois River Rag. Real challenging for me to pick on guitar, it's got 5 sections and lots of arpeggios and string skips. Fun when when you get it right.