The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

While we're on the subject of new music, check out Kurt Elling and Charlie Hunter's new EP of covers. They play some surprising songs, which Kurt breathes completely new life into. Hunter mainly stays in the background, but is an excellent accompanist for these tunes.

I was not aware of their 2021 collaboration, so will have to check it out as well. Kurt is certainly one of our great jazz/pop vocalists singing today, and unafraid to take on unusual material.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Oh I've seen this couple live when they came to London, about a year ago. Great show!

Kurt Elling and Charlie Hunter-274822032_354634573181603_3643345563936067715_n-jpegKurt Elling and Charlie Hunter-274532747_288375650052372_102023338240635683_n-jpeg

User Info Menu

Saw them at Ronnie Scott's in 2021. They filmed a few tracks for Edition Records on that visit, which came out as the EP 'The London Sessions'. LINK: Kurt Elling | SuperBlue - The London Sessions - Edition Records

User Info Menu

Just found this album a month back, as a Hunter fan and huge Kurt fan it's pretty awesome.

User Info Menu

Funny I haven't come across this collaboration before. I do listen to both of them, but don't follow them obsessively.

It is always a joy to come across good music that has been right under your nose for awhile.

User Info Menu

Is Charlie playing a six string here? semi hollow novax?

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Saw them at Ronnie Scott's in 2021. They filmed a few tracks for Edition Records on that visit, which came out as the EP 'The London Sessions'. LINK: Kurt Elling | SuperBlue - The London Sessions - Edition Records

User Info Menu

^^I can’t fault Charlie’s playing, but watching someone play that guitar with the fanned fretting is just weird. I can’t wrap my head around it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stringmann
    Is Charlie playing a six string here? semi hollow novax?
    Hunter's been involved for several years with luthiers Clay Connor and Wes Lambe in the company Hybrid Guitars.

He's currently playing a hybrid 6 string (3 bass, 3 guitar) and has been experimenting with different scales and tunings.

Link: HYBRID 6 — Hybrid Guitars Co.

User Info Menu

I have nothing constructive to add except that I met Charlie Hunter at Subway Guitars in Berkeley in the mid-90's and he's a hell of a nice guy.

User Info Menu

I have been listening to this nonstop. This is great. It is a terrible ear worm though, and don’t listen to it if you don’t want to hum it continuously for the next month.

Kurt was very influenced by Al Jarreau, and toured with him (not sure if he recorded with him). Al’s version is great as well.

Here’s Al:

Dang I miss this part of the 80’s. Miss Al too! Fun time.