The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 44 of 44

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Banksia
    While we all acknowledge the birth of jazz, that doesn't mean we need to play it. If I was a Rock player I wouldn't be playing Chuck Berry and Bill Haley 90% of the time, would I?
    Nope-only if you wanted to make some money and please the audience.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Wow! things really are different in the U.S. music wise.

and not necessarily better.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JimBobWay
    First of all, it's true that you are better off calling it Trad Jazz in the states; long sad story best left at that. This music has a universal appeal, maybe due to the many sources it draws on. This photo, taken on a steamy summer day in Jackson Square where the band in residence was working up a second-line sweat, shows a toddler dancing to the beat...made me wish I had a camcorder!

here we go again. no we're not gonna do that. if we call it traditional it will be confused with straightahead. we're better off in the states not confusing things with historically inaccurate, politically motivated, obfuscated language.

now if you don't live in the states you might want to call it trad jazz because your audience doesn't relate to New Orleans and they will probably never go there. plus it makes it seem like it's part of your land and that you own some piece of it.

it ain't. and you don't.

its New Orleans jazz or Dixieland jazz. get over it.

Dixieland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fumblefingers
    here we go again. no we're not gonna do that. if we call it traditional it will be confused with straightahead. we're better off in the states not confusing things with historically inaccurate, politically motivated, obfuscated language.

now if you don't live in the states you might want to call it trad jazz because your audience doesn't relate to New Orleans and they will probably never go there. plus it makes it seem like it's part of your land and that you own some piece of it.

it ain't. and you don't.

its New Orleans jazz or Dixieland jazz. get over it.

Dixieland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Ouch. Someone's been transcribing the wrong kind of Wynton Marsalis solo...

But, in that case, what is "straight ahead jazz"?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Scrybe
    Ouch. Someone's been transcribing the wrong kind of Wynton Marsalis solo...

But, in that case, what is "straight ahead jazz"?

well you can look that up too, can't you?

i'll at least help you by telling you what it is not.

it is not fusion
    it is not world
    it is not acid
    it is not smooth

another way to look at it is - the music that the most historically significant players, composers and bands played from 1940 through the mid-sixties. it gets really dicey after that.

but even that needs some qualifiers.

for exmple, this is 2010 yet you can find people composing, playing and recording straightahead stuff right now.

User Info Menu

And do us non-Americans have no right to be playing that, either? Because I could seriously free up some of my jazz practice time without having all that jazz to practice...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Scrybe
    And do us non-Americans have no right to be playing that, either? Because I could seriously free up some of my jazz practice time without having all that jazz to practice...
    you serious?

if you brits don't play music spawned from foreign lands you won't have anything great to play at all!

User Info Menu

you serious?

if you brits don't play music spawned from foreign lands you won't have anything great to play at all!
    Ohhhh!
    Wait a minute, will you, till I go out and get some popcorn to have whilst watching this thread?

User Info Menu

I just watched a good dvd ,

"make it funky" about New Orleans music.

professor longhair, james booker, allen toussaint, dirty dozen brass band, and a great guitar player named Robert Parker who ripped up a tune called "Bare Footin"

Earl Palmer, Herman Ernest, (drummers)

A British pianist named Jon Cleary, who was very good. I think he lives in New Orleans.

The Neville brothers,

a bit of history about "the second line" etc. a lot about drums.

and, a lot of hot trumpet and trombone players.

very entertaining.

User Info Menu

you serious?

curse the wretched slave trade and reliance on docks for bringing foreign music to our lands to taint our sounds. no other country in the world has had it's musics diluted by a mixture of forced and unforced migration. woe be unto us Brits.

User Info Menu

you serious?

FF, i think i speak for all us Americans on this page when I say, please stop speaking for all us Americans on this page.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    FF, i think i speak for all us Americans on this page when I say, please stop speaking for all us Americans on this page.
    It's OK-we know he's only playing. Want some of my popcorn?

User Info Menu

Popcorn? Isn't that an American invention? Should you be having popcorn?

User Info Menu

OK mr B if I cant eat popcorn how about fish and chips but could i drink coke after or would it be tea not coffee,HaHa

Tom

you cant beat a good sense of homour

User Info Menu

oooh...fish and chips are too damn good. y'all can have popcorn, it's a trade.

i should note, as I type this, I'm having a scottish ale. that was made in indiana!

User Info Menu

does ceylon tea count as a british beverage or not?

User Info Menu

Dixie or not, it's a dancing baby! OK, my post DID contain historically inaccurate, politically motivated, obfuscated language. At least in the opinion of one person. But the photo of the little fella dancing to the diverse DIXIELAND band was my real message.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by billkath
    It's OK-we know he's only playing. Want some of my popcorn?
    that's right. brits love to poke at americans in good nature all the time. wit is a point of pride. laced with none to little sarcasm i might add.

User Info Menu

Not at all bad for a bunch of youngsters ( )
    and an excellent re-creation of St. Cyr's break
    on the original: