Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 40 of 40

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    Sunsets are the WORST
    Sunrise on a snowy morning.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm very surprised.....that no one has put this in....but I think this album is in the hearts of all of us jazz guitarists:

PAT MARTINO, Guitar and GIL GOLDSTEIN, Electric Piano: “We’ll Be Together Again”

For me it is perhaps the best jazz guitar album of all time.

Ettore Quenda.it - Jazz Guitar - Chitarra Jazz

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
    1. Instruments don't have sexual orientations, only the users do. 2. Why would an instrument be sus if an inanimate object doesn't have an orientation or even gender? 3. Since only the users have orientations, it would follow that you would be more attracted to instruments which are generally played by hetero people. But there are no instruments which are played predominantly by hetero people. 4. Even if we could assign femininity to the instrument of vibes based on its pretty sound, why not just view it as female? Lol
    Does anyone know WTH he's talking about? Dude, you need to lay off the leaf.

User Info Menu

Pat Metheny and Charlie Haden, Beyond the Missouri Sky

I grew to really enjoy this album for relaxing and resting in the evening. Was not at all a Metheny Fan prior.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
    Why am I responsible for being irrational when you're the one who who instigated but won't clarify what you're talking about, communicating in allusions? Did you mean you think it's a kiddie instrument?
    You need to stop inferring things. I said I didn't like vibes, mostly because of Lionel Hampton's "style", and that their sound reminded me of a children's toy. Literal statements. There are no allusions there. You need to stop being paranoid.

I have no idea where all this other crap you're discussing is coming from. "sexual orientations"? "sus"? "femininity"? HUH?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    You need to stop inferring things. I said I didn't like vibes, mostly because of Lionel Hampton's "style", and that their sound reminded me of a children's toy. Literal statements. There are no allusions there. You need to stop being paranoid.

I have no idea where all this other crap you're discussing is coming from. "sexual orientations"? "sus"? "femininity"? HUH?
    How do you feel about the sound of a celesta? I prefer it and a marimba over a vibraphone most of the time, sound wise.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DawgBone
    How do you feel about the sound of a celesta? I prefer it and a marimba over a vibraphone most of the time, sound wise.
    I can handle marimba better than vibes. The celeste is different entirely to me; it might have really high notes like a vibe does, but the sound is very different... a very nice instrument for special effects/sections.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Webby
    I really like this guitar/vibes duo Album by Marc Ribot and Bill Ware:

Paul
    Thanks for posting this, it's right up my alley.

User Info Menu

Barney Kessel and Red Mitchell

User Info Menu

I also really love how they sound together, very gentle and elegant

User Info Menu

Thad Jones backed by Kenny Burrell

User Info Menu

I don't like vibes either, I have to admit. I can't even listen to Gary Burton for more than a couple of minutes, despite his undeniable brilliance. I think it's the lack of attack on the notes and overlapping sustain, they just blur together and I can't hear anything sensible. Most other people don't seem to have this problem.

There are duo albums by Fred Hersch & Julian Lage and Fred Hersch & Bill Frisell, both of which are quite interesting. There is a duo album by Ed Bickert and Jane Hall (Jim's wife) which is not quite my cuppa but does show Ed in a different situation. And then there was Lenny Breau and a clarinetist whose name I am not recalling- the name of the album was The Living Room Tapes.

User Info Menu

Mike Murley [tenor] and David Occhipinti from the release 'Duologue'

Ed Bickert and Don Thompson [bass] from 'At The Garden Party'

User Info Menu

Always liked the classical duos with flute and guitar, probably because I was at one time a serious flute player, a quick search brought up this nice jazz duo:

User Info Menu

Miles Okazaki and Ben Wendel.

Mike Moreno and Ben Wendel.

Charles Altura and Ben Wendel.