The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I took up guitar in 1966 and, even though I'm Australian, I had already been exposed to Wilson Pickett, Sam & Dave, Booker T & the MGs and so on. In a "Golden Age" that lasted less than 20 years, Stewart and his sister ran a studio and label that churned out some brilliant music and promoted some wonderful talent. I know the effect it had on me. Around 1967 I used to think Sam & Dave's "Hold On I'm Comin'" was one of the best songs that had ever existed. The Mar-Key Horns also added a distinctive flavour to all those tracks like "Sweet Soul Music" among many others.

Jim Stewart, co-founder of ‘Memphis sound’ recording studio Stax, dies | PBS NewsHour

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

For soul and blues lovers, probably one of the most crucial record companies ever to exist. Almost immeasurable, the talent that came through that studio. Albert King and Otis Redding alone would've been enough. I always felt some of the best stuff had a great mix of American black and white musicians all working together making some great music. The way it should always be. Thanks for sharing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Banksia
    I took up guitar in 1966 and, even though I'm Australian, I had already been exposed to Wilson Pickett, Sam & Dave, Booker T & the MGs and so on. In a "Golden Age" that lasted less than 20 years, Stewart and his sister ran a studio and label that churned out some brilliant music and promoted some wonderful talent. I know the effect it had on me. Around 1967 I used to think Sam & Dave's "Hold On I'm Comin'" was one of the best songs that had ever existed. The Mar-Key Horns also added a distinctive flavour to all those tracks like "Sweet Soul Music" among many others.

Jim Stewart, co-founder of ‘Memphis sound’ recording studio Stax, dies | PBS NewsHour
    I'm sorry to hear about Jim Stewart's passing, but that list of artists and songs you mentioned made me cackle with glee and go "Alright!". Ninety-nine and a half just won't do for people like that.