The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

Warren Haynes...

So many other people get bandied about in the "monster guitarist" discussions, but not this guy so much.

I have been listening to a ton of Gov't Mule recently, as well as ABB and WHB. Not only is Warren a virtuoso, but he knows tone and knows how to pull back and make the guitar sing. The latest Gov't Mule album is pretty much a pure blues album, ala Buddy Guy or Joe Bonamassa. (Speaking of whom--both these guys are considered blues icons, but Warren not really.) And Warren can sing pretty well--he's got the gravelly-voiced Gregg Allman thing down pat.

I was listening to an 00's Allman Brothers album, Where it all began--I thought this featured Warren and Derek Trucks, and I was marvelling at how Warren was channeling Dickie Betts on the right channel, and Derek Duane Allman on the left...then I read the credits, and turns out it was Warren and Dickie--Warren is playing the Duane parts and sliding like a fiend. When he plays with Derek, no slouch himself and rightly considered a guitar god, Warren plays the Dickie parts on the right channel. And sings all of Dickie's songs and some of Gregg's.

His album with John Scofield (Sco-Mule) shows that he can hang with the best of them. Took a few listens before I figured out who was playing what--Warren is on the left side, John on the right.

So to summarize--great player, great songwriter, can channel either Duane or Dickie at will, can sing like Gregg, can hang with jazz masters like Sco, can do the roots-rock acoustic thing like Steve Earle. This guy needs more respect.

BTW, I have never seen him in concert, but I was in Jamaica on a medical humanitarian trip a few years ago, hanging out at the baggage claim, and there was old Warren with his wife and kids, wearing shorts and flip flops and a T-shirt. I said "Hey Warren" from the other side of the carousel, and he looked my way, thinking it was someone he knew. I just smiled and waved. Didn't want to bother the guy on a working vacay (they played a festival in Ocho Rios that week) with a selfie or something.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Warren Haynes...

So many other people get bandied about in the "monster guitarist" discussions, but not this guy so much.

I have been listening to a ton of Gov't Mule recently, as well as ABB and WHB. Not only is Warren a virtuoso, but he knows tone and knows how to pull back and make the guitar sing. The latest Gov't Mule album is pretty much a pure blues album, ala Buddy Guy or Joe Bonamassa. (Speaking of whom--both these guys are considered blues icons, but Warren not really.) And Warren can sing pretty well--he's got the gravelly-voiced Gregg Allman thing down pat.

I was listening to an 00's Allman Brothers album, Where it all began--I thought this featured Warren and Derek Trucks, and I was marvelling at how Warren was channeling Dickie Betts on the right channel, and Derek Duane Allman on the left...then I read the credits, and turns out it was Warren and Dickie--Warren is playing the Duane parts and sliding like a fiend. When he plays with Derek, no slouch himself and rightly considered a guitar god, Warren plays the Dickie parts on the right channel. And sings all of Dickie's songs and some of Gregg's.

His album with John Scofield (Sco-Mule) shows that he can hang with the best of them. Took a few listens before I figured out who was playing what--Warren is on the left side, John on the right.

So to summarize--great player, great songwriter, can channel either Duane or Dickie at will, can sing like Gregg, can hang with jazz masters like Sco, can do the roots-rock acoustic thing like Steve Earle. This guy needs more respect.

BTW, I have never seen him in concert, but I was in Jamaica on a medical humanitarian trip a few years ago, hanging out at the baggage claim, and there was old Warren with his wife and kids, wearing shorts and flip flops and a T-shirt. I said "Hey Warren" from the other side of the carousel, and he looked my way, thinking it was someone he knew. I just smiled and waved. Didn't want to bother the guy on a working vacay (they played a festival in Ocho Rios that week) with a selfie or something.

I have been a big fan for many years. You are right about his versatility as a player and talent as a guitarist, singer, and songwriter. I have seen him many times with the Allman Brothers Band and Gov’t Mule. He’s one of my favorite players.
    Last edited by Mark M.; 11-23-2022 at 07:39 PM.

User Info Menu

Warren is well regarded (revered) in the jam band circuit. For me Warren does not posses a personalized sound or at least I don't hear it. While technically proficient his playing doesn't do it for me. Not that anybody cares what I think but this is a forum.

User Info Menu

Warren Haynes...

Well, I can't believe this dude is younger than me . . . so roll up a Dooby, crack the cap on the bottle of Ripple because you have to be high to listen to this crap. Is this a Jazz Forum?????
    Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Well, I can't believe this dude is younger than me . . . so roll up a Dooby, crack the cap on the bottle of Ripple because you have to be high to listen to this crap. Is this a Jazz Forum?????
    Marinero
    ….well, I think we have a winner for the 2022 “Get Off My Lawn” award here on the forum. Congratulations!

The OP correctly posted this in the “Other Guitar Styles/Instruments” section precisely because it is not jazz.

Age-wise, Warren Haynes is a contemporary of mine, and like me he grew up listening to the Allman Brothers Band and a few other blues based rock bands of the time. These bands covered songs by Elmore James, T Bone Walker, Muddy Waters, and other early blues legends. They also talked about the influence of Miles Davis, Chico Hamilton, John Coltrane, and others on their music. This led me to go and discover these legendary musicians, and to follow the trail to all they influenced and were influenced by.

Warren Haynes went on to become a member of the Allman Brothers Band and was instrumental in keeping their music vital. The band served as a touchstone for generations of fans who discovered blues and jazz through their music. Their annual three week run of shows at the Beacon theatre that went on for over 20 years drew many jazz musicians who admired the band to sit in on stage. I’m talking about people like Michael Brecker, Roy Haynes, Joshua Redman, Ravi Coltrane, and others.

The music spans the whole spectrum of great American music influenced by the blues, including jazz. If you don’t appreciate it that’s cool. But, conveying an attitude that it is somehow inferior to jazz only drives people further away and moves jazz another step closer to becoming museum music .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M.
    ….well, I think we have a winner for the 2022 “Get Off My Lawn” award here on the forum. Congratulations!
    its a crowded field but Marinero remains the reigning champion

User Info Menu

"But, conveying an attitude that it is somehow inferior to jazz only drives people further away and moves jazz another step closer to becoming museum music ." MarkM

Hi, M,
    I don't agree with your premise . . . and, sorry, . . .my language was a bit strong, but . . . that cacophonous music is inferior to Jazz in every aspect. Standards of excellence are synonymous with Jazz and when standards fall . . . the lines blur and we are left with a glob of Silly Putty*. Our member-the 335 player from California with the nice quartet who posts his videos, sometimes, said in another post(paraphrase) that Jazz may never be popular again and become music for a small intellectual class of people. Perhaps, this is where it is headed if the standards for "What Is Jazz" or "Jazz Inspired" continue to decline. Enough said.
    Marinero

* Silly Putty was a marketing phenomenon in the 50's where a putty(despite its scientific origin) was sold in a plastic eggshell for countless generations of brain-dead American children to amuse themselves as a toy. It is still sold today . . . with the implication that yes, brain-dead children still exist. M

User Info Menu

the lines blur and we are left with a glob of Silly Putty*.
    Like this?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by palindrome
    Like this?

Wow, P!
    Not Jazz but perhaps "Space Funk*."
    Marinero

* Space Funk is a genre of Funk music invented solely for the purpose of this post. May it live forever???
    Marinero

User Info Menu

Marinero
    Why yes, Warren DID roll with the Doobies…

And he did play Ripple…

User Info Menu

Warren Haynes...

I have been listening to a ton of Gov't Mule recently, as well as ABB and WHB. Not only is Warren a virtuoso, but he knows tone and knows how to pull back and make the guitar sing. The latest Gov't Mule album is pretty much a pure blues album, ala Buddy Guy or Joe Bonamassa. (Speaking of whom--both these guys are considered blues icons, but Warren not really.) And Warren can sing pretty well--he's got the gravelly-voiced Gregg Allman thing down pat. ...
    I moved from Autralia to the US in 91 to go to Atlanta School of Music. I looked at MI in LA and Berklee and a few others but chose Atlanta because (it was cheaper) and also I was a huge fan of the bluesier side of things and the Allman Brothers, recently reunited at the time as of 89) were one of my favorite bands and Warren one of my favorite players. I felt it'd be nice, musically, to be in the south.

So one of the teachers at school actually grew up up with Warren in Asheville, NC, and played with I'm in bands forever. They're still close friends.

That teacher hooked me up in the fall that year when ABB came thru Atlanta, and Warren called me at home, and invited me not only to the show, etc, but to come down to his hotel that afternoon and have a lesson. I spent the afternoon sitting in his hotel room, going over a bunch of his licks, etc, and then attended to the show and hung with him and most of the band afterward. Totally awesome. He or his manager called me every year they came thru Atlanta to catch up and invite me to the show for the next 7 or 8 years or so. I got to sit with him and Chuck Leavell in the studio in Alanta when he recorded his first solo album, Tales of Ordinary Madness (back when he was still playing a strat).

I can't speak highly enough of the guy. As a young kid (then 22) to sit and have a 3 hour lesson playing guitar with one of his idols, "just because", was just mind-blowingly cool. He's a very, very good player, wonderful singer and a fantastic human being.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M.
    I have been a big fan for many years. You are right about his versatility as a player and talent as a guitarist, singer, and songwriter. I have seen him many times with the Allman Brothers Band and Gov’t Mule. He’s one of my favorite players.
    Great singer!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD
    I moved from Autralia to the US in 91 to go to Atlanta School of Music. I looked at MI in LA and Berklee and a few others but chose Atlanta because (it was cheaper) and also I was a huge fan of the bluesier side of things and the Allman Brothers, recently reunited at the time as of 89) were one of my favorite bands and Warren one of my favorite players. I felt it'd be nice, musically, to be in the south.

So one of the teachers at school actually grew up up with Warren in Asheville, NC, and played with I'm in bands forever. They're still close friends.

That teacher hooked me up in the fall that year when ABB came thru Atlanta, and Warren called me at home, and invited me not only to the show, etc, but to come down to his hotel that afternoon and have a lesson. I spent the afternoon sitting in his hotel room, going over a bunch of his licks, etc, and then attended to the show and hung with him and most of the band afterward. Totally awesome. He or his manager called me every year they came thru Atlanta to catch up and invite me to the show for the next 7 or 8 years or so. I got to sit with him and Chuck Leavell in the studio in Alanta when he recorded his first solo album, Tales of Ordinary Madness (back when he was still playing a strat).

I can't speak highly enough of the guy. As a young kid (then 22) to sit and have a 3 hour lesson playing guitar with one of his idols, "just because", was just mind-blowingly cool. He's a very, very good player, wonderful singer and a fantastic human being.
    Wow that’s cool!