The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 96 of 96

User Info Menu

Thank you, but it is the structure of the sentence that puzzles me. I enjoy Afrobeat. The Fela Kuti track is especially good. Broken beat seems inoffensive. I abhor Drum & Bass, Grime and Trap, which all seem to be the same thing to me.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    I was not joking.
    I feared as much. My comment (HAHAHA Good one) was half sarcasm.
    Last edited by ruger9; 10-16-2022 at 08:24 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    Apart from the fact that his name was Aleister, why?
    Because that solo sucked.

User Info Menu

In the Reader's Digest, of all places:

"Today's UK jazz musicians have grown up acknowledging and utilising their audience's listening tastes, which strongly influence and are placed at the forefront of audio soundscapes enhanced by contemporary genres such as broken beat, afrobeat, drum & bass, trap and grime."

I am not sure what that means, but it seems inclusive.
    Who the hell ever said that Jazz was meant to be that inclusive? Whatever, it's all fine by me, I've come to realise I don't actually like most kinds of music that come under any modern definition of "Jazz" (I dislike most pop, rock and hiphop too). When people say "Then what do you like?" I tell them I mainly listen to the kind of music a couple of dozen black junkies and a handful of skinny white guys were playing around New York and Detroit from the mid 50's to the mid 60's" If I'm pressed harder, I'll reluctantly say that some people describe that "niche" genre as hard and/or post bop. Calling it "Jazz" kinda cheapens it ....

User Info Menu

Wow, I have no idea why jazz musicians could have gained the reputation of being pretentious or elitist, LOL

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    Wow, I have no idea why jazz musicians could have gained the reputation of being pretentious or elitist, LOL
    Hehe, yeah, well most Jazz people (including on this forum) are certainly not elitist nor pretentious, they're far too humble... I wish they would have more attitude though, would make things more interesting... (for me at least)...

User Info Menu

Only one rock group really rolled with the changes…

Man I miss the girls in tube tops and those little camisole things.

I remember back in the mid-70’s our swim team coach Mike had a turntable and bunch of records in his office. A couple I remember are Bad Company and REO. He said, keep your eye on these guys, they are gonna be big.

Mike was right.

User Info Menu

Jimi made the changes. Listen to Watchtower or Castles made of sand.

I think the best rock and Country players do make the changes, simple as the changes are in those genres.

Some jazz guitarists prefer to play through the changes rather than making them. As dissonance is not my thing, my preference is for players who make the changes while also being lyrical, no matter the genre.

User Info Menu

Yeah, Jimi was headed towards jazz at the end of his too short life. He jammed with Roland Kirk at Ronnie Scott's, at Woodstock, he was jamming, and he made the comment over the mic to the keyboard player, "You make like Jimmy Smith and I'll make like Kenny Burrell", and then he played a solo in octaves like Wes. On one solo, he quoted the standard "Lover" in octaves. One jazz pianist heard Jimi for the first time, and went out and bought a pink Strat, and gave up the piano for a while! LOL!

Jerry Garcia WAS a jazz guitarist AFAIC, and put out recordings with that organist playing "My Funny Valentine, etc... All my Deadhead friends got heavy into jazz, and we used to go to see Jim Hall together numerous times. One of them became a top jazz bass player in NYC.
    Robbie Krieger was heavy into Wes, as he shows on Light My Fire. Guthrie Govan went to N.Texas State....

But Page and Clapton hated jazz, and any of their attempts to play it were pathetic, like Clapton's unplugged version of Layla. They were strictly blues playing pentatonic wankers...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim

But Page and Clapton hated jazz, and any of their attempts to play it were pathetic, like Clapton's unplugged version of Layla. They were strictly blues playing pentatonic wankers...
    Jimi and Jerry weren't much different in that respect...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    Jimi and Jerry weren't much different in that respect...
    Yeah, but they knew there was something else beyond that, and made steps in that direction.

User Info Menu

Randy Bachman is another cat who could rock out and jazz out when he wanted, playing a Gretsch hollow body. He was also a great champion of Lennie Breau's music, starting a label that featured LB's unreleased tapes. Here's a great tune he wrote for BTO

He also wrote this for The Guess Who with the great Burton Cummings scatting and playing a little jazz flute behind Randy's nice chord work:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Yeah, Jimi was headed towards jazz at the end of his too short life. He jammed with Roland Kirk at Ronnie Scott's, at Woodstock, he was jamming, and he made the comment over the mic to the keyboard player, "You make like Jimmy Smith and I'll make like Kenny Burrell", and then he played a solo in octaves like Wes. On one solo, he quoted the standard "Lover" in octaves. One jazz pianist heard Jimi for the first time, and went out and bought a pink Strat, and gave up the piano for a while! LOL!

Jerry Garcia WAS a jazz guitarist AFAIC, and put out recordings with that organist playing "My Funny Valentine, etc... All my Deadhead friends got heavy into jazz, and we used to go to see Jim Hall together numerous times. One of them became a top jazz bass player in NYC.
    Robbie Krieger was heavy into Wes, as he shows on Light My Fire. Guthrie Govan went to N.Texas State....

Jerry was "jazz adjacent", though he started out from a bluegrass/country background. Actually he started out as a banjo player and teacher, and moved on from there.

But he was adventurous, and IMO more than most rock players took inspiration from Coltrane and what he and similar players were trying to do. He played with a lot of fine players including many great jazz players. As you may remember Branford Marsalis toured with the group for awhile.

As far as playing with changes, seems to me that most decent rock guitarists who play longish solos that aren't over a vamp play changes.

Can someone give some examples of decent rock guitarists NOT playing changes?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Jerry was "jazz adjacent", though he started out from a bluegrass/country background. Actually he started out as a banjo player and teacher, and moved on from there.

But he was adventurous, and IMO more than most rock players took inspiration from Coltrane and what he and similar players were trying to do. He played with a lot of fine players including many great jazz players. As you may remember Branford Marsalis toured with the group for awhile.

As far as playing with changes, seems to me that most decent rock guitarists who play longish solos that aren't over a vamp play changes.

Can someone give some examples of decent rock guitarists NOT playing changes?
    His dad was a horn player, so he had early exposure to jazz, like Stevie Winwood and Pete Townsend.

User Info Menu

“My Old School” by Steely Dan. The solo really sticks to the changes.
    We do that song in 2 of the bands I play with, and it’s the only solo that I copy note for note. It always gets a big reaction from the audience, and people come up and tell me I’m great because I can play it.
    I’m too polite to tell them that any idiot can copy something!
    Great solo though, and fun to play.

User Info Menu

I was looking for info on pickups on YT and came across young Welsh blues-rocker Chris Buck, who managed to get me to listen to the whole solo. Great player.

It's very noticeable that there is a default preference on this forum for old guys, whatever the genre. You guys stuck in time or something? Feel challenged by youth?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    It's very noticeable that there is a default preference on this forum for old guys, whatever the genre. You guys stuck in time or something? Feel challenged by youth?
    On other forums you will find a lot of enthusiasm for young Japanese guitarists, so long as they are female and dressed to impress. Folks round here may be set in their ways, but at least it is the music that matters.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Hot country pickin' is just jazz on the back pickup.
    Except when it's bluegrass/old time on the back pickup.

User Info Menu

Surprised not to have seen Stoke finest export Slash menitoned.

Sweet child of mine ( first part of solo ) and knockin on heavens door solo are two that outline the changes and spring to mind,

User Info Menu

Thank you, but it is the structure of the sentence that puzzles me. I enjoy Afrobeat. The Fela Kuti track is especially good. Broken beat seems inoffensive. I abhor Drum & Bass, Grime and Trap, which all seem to be the same thing to me.

Give some brazillian drum n bass a listen, is basically bossa nova music. Ripe to be played live by a jazz band.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    I was looking for info on pickups on YT and came across young Welsh blues-rocker Chris Buck, who managed to get me to listen to the whole solo. Great player.
    Yeah he's great, a passionate, musical player in that 70s mode and yet in his own voice... Although as his music is basically dad rock, I would imagine his fan base are probably north of 45.

Tell you what, I played this track to the eight year olds I teach yesterday and they LOVED it. So that's the future of guitar, like it or not.