The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 24 of 24

User Info Menu

Fantastic jazz rap, or whatever you wish to call it. The rapper is from Spain and the groove is off the charts. If you're interested and know some Spanish, I can help with some of the more difficult/obscure lines, but don't have time to translate/explain the whole thing*. Anyone out there?

*Some quick notes:
    Libertad = freedom (like you didn't know)
    "Direct your own movie, you play the leading role..."
    "If you want to change something, change yourself"

Thank you for your attention.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Having listened to a ton of hip-hop in my life I liked the beat but I found the rapper quite mediocre rhythmically (my Spanish is not good enough to say anything about the lyrics). But I am very spoiled regarding rap rhythm. The guy you can hear here was one of the singers of my former band (this seems to be an announcement for a tour of a project he has with his brother).

He is a hell of a beatbox artist as well and can imitate a whole record scratching solo vocally.

User Info Menu

I find maybe 5% of music interesting, or at least worthy of a second listen. In the case of rap or hip-hop, that percentage would probably drop. What I posted here is art, IMO, obviously. Did you hear the bridge? That guy you posted is about 100 miles away from Kase O.

User Info Menu

I liked it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    I liked it
    I said (or at least, thought) it before: you have excellent taste!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    I find maybe 5% of music interesting, or at least worthy of a second listen. In the case of rap or hip-hop, that percentage would probably drop. What I posted here is art, IMO, obviously. Did you hear the bridge? That guy you posted is about 100 miles away from Kase O.
    You mean the part where he gets a little polyrhythmic? I found that pretty standard. I told you I liked the music. I like the Dust Brothers, I like DJ Shadow, I know how much work it is to put together a mosaic from many samples — I have mixed and mastered quite a bunch of (mostly instrumental) hip-hop oriented music myself. I liked the scratches as well. But the rapper I found OK but really nothing special and as I said I cannot speak about his poetry due to a lack of knowledge of the Spanish language. Which is important because I listen to him more like to an instrument.

Yes he is light years from Don Caramelo and his brother Paco Mendoza a.k.a. El Criminal who collaborated with DJ Vadim.

My bar regarding music is high. I have worked at ca. 1500+ concerts in 18 years as lighting technician and I have seen everything from heavy metal and indie rock to jazz and classical which schooled my taste.

Here is an example of a rapper who is really phrasing freely in a jazzy way. I cannot believe that is already 30 years old — back then I was still paying for going to concerts. And that was a great concert.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    You mean the part where he gets a little polyrhythmic? I found that pretty standard. I told you I liked the music. I like the Dust Brothers, I like DJ Shadow, I know how much work it is to put together a mosaic from many samples — I have mixed and mastered quite a bunch of (mostly instrumental) hip-hop oriented music myself. I liked the scratches as well. But the rapper I found OK but really nothing special and as I said I cannot speak about his poetry due to a lack of knowledge of the Spanish language. Which is important because I listen to him more like to an instrument.

Yes he is light years from Don Caramelo and his brother Paco Mendoza a.k.a. El Criminal who collaborated with DJ Vadim.

My bar regarding music is high. I have worked at ca. 1500+ concerts in 18 years as lighting technician and I have seen everything from heavy metal and indie rock to jazz and classical which schooled my taste.

Here is an example of a rapper who is really phrasing freely in a jazzy way. I cannot believe that is already 30 years old — back then I was still paying for going to concerts. And that was a great concert.

Yes. I’m with you. Solaar fan here as well.
    I’m fluent in Spanish and wasn’t impressed with the lyrics either.

User Info Menu

Solaar sounds damn slick. That said, I'm generally more into feel than chops in almost any genre.

blille, ¿qué es lo que no te ha convencido de la letra?
    Last edited by Peter C; 11-27-2023 at 05:17 PM.

User Info Menu

Solaar sounds damn slick. That said, I'm generally more into feel than chops in almost any genre.

blille, ¿qué es lo que no te convencido de la letra?
    Don’t get me wrong I think it’s fine and I really appreciate you bringing something that is not Wes Montgomery to the forum

A nivel de la letra: no me pareció nada especial, yo creo que un poco llena de topicazos, particularmente la primera parte. Pero es nada más mi opinión, claramente

User Info Menu

Another name that has to be mentioned in that context is Guru’s Jazz Matazz.

User Info Menu

OMG sometimes I miss the optimism of those days pre 9/11. This is Jovanotti from Italy in1996.

User Info Menu

Agree!

And of course US3

I also liked when Bill Evans (no, not that one, the sax player) incorporated rap with his live set

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blille
    Don’t get me wrong I think it’s fine and I really appreciate you bringing something that is not Wes Montgomery to the forum

A nivel de la letra: no me pareció nada especial, yo creo que un poco llena de topicazos, particularmente la primera parte. Pero es nada más mi opinión, claramente
    I have tried to bring many things that are not Wes Montgomery to the forum, although I love his music (mostly).

Es cierto, dominas el español Creo que, en general, los tópicos están a la orden del día en el rap, pero no es que yo sea muy ducho en la materia. Me gustó mucho el arreglo de esta canción y hay líneas que molan bastante:

La vida sigue a pesar de las encuestas funestas,
    Camino con mis deudas a cuestas...

Vivir con poco, y aún sigo en manos de la providencia

Un lobo loco, trataba de entender el mundo
    Contradicciones son síntomas de inteligencia....

¡Hasta luego!

@Bop Head, I get the impression that you're saying "that's not it, you need to listen to the real thing". I like and was recommending this song, not rap/hip-hop in general. You could start your own thread, you know?
    Last edited by Peter C; 10-12-2022 at 02:05 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blille
    Agree!

And of course US3

I also liked when Bill Evans (no, not that one, the sax player) incorporated rap with his live set

I know that Bill Evans. I once did the lights for him at show in Munich somewhere around 2005 or so. I remember vaguely that it was a great show and that he had an interesting guitarist that was doing some crazy stuff but I cannot remember if rap was involved.

User Info Menu

I have tried to bring many things that are not Wes Montgomery to the forum, although I love his music (mostly).

Es cierto, dominas bien el español Creo que, en general, los tópicos están a la orden del día en el rap, pero no es que yo sea muy ducho en la materia. Me gustó mucho el arreglo de esta canción y hay líneas que molan bastante:

La vida sigue a pesar de las encuestas funestas,
    Camino con mis deudas a cuestas...

Vivir con poco, y aún sigo en manos de la providencia

Un lobo loco, trataba de entender el mundo
    Contradicciones son síntomas de inteligencia....

¡Hasta luego!

@Bop Head, I get the impression that you're saying "that's not it, you need to listen to the real thing". I like and was recommending this song, not rap/hip-hop in general. You could start your own thread, you know?
    One should always go back and listen to the real thing. Sorry for entering your private thread — I thought this was an open forum.

User Info Menu

blinking heck it’s been a few years since I listened to that

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    blinking heck it’s been a few years since I listened to that
    We’re old farts raised on trad hip-hop LOL

User Info Menu

Obvious choice. Language warning for sensitive souls. Kendrick swings.

Thundercat and Glapsar on this record of course

User Info Menu

I really liked Britcore. Night in Tunisia sample.

User Info Menu

This guy is still my favorite rapper. Laid back, great time and groove, and I like the music. I have the CD as well!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

That first video titled Ragga Bund irritated the hell out of me in just 5 seconds. Likewise Jovanotti. On the other hand, I'd give Jazzmatazz and "Bill Evans" a second listen. I'm pretty aware of Latin "denuncia social" culture, and you really need to understand the lyrics. Anyway, I hang on this forum because I like jazz Para gustos, los colores (to each his/her own), as they say.

Kendrick Lamar? Where do you dig up all this stuff, Christian? Hahaha
    Last edited by Peter C; 10-12-2022 at 02:44 PM. Reason: I am the master of typos

User Info Menu

Para gustos, los colores
    Clavao

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    This guy is still my favorite rapper. Laid back, great time and groove, and I like the music. I have the CD as well!

This has always been my favorite track from the debut album. Parental advisory: explizit lyrics.