The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

There's a study group on JG about Jerry Coker's jazz piano book.

Would this be the best book to buy for starting jazz piano or which other book would you recommend?

Thank you

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Youtube is a better resource imo. You can find any topic at any level with demonstrations. What topics are you looking for?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
    Youtube is a better resource imo. You can find any topic at any level with demonstrations. What topics are you looking for?
    I'd like to explore jazz harmony more. I think that I hear harmony better on piano than guitar which might be a silly thing to say.
    In that regards the Coker book looks interesting but I'll check out YT as well.
    Do you play piano/ keyboard Jimmy?

User Info Menu

Yes, I play Hammond and piano. Where are you in your jazz playing? Working thru standards is my favorite way to work on harmony. The lead sheet teaches you a lot about the harmony, you can go and listen to renditions of the tune to pick up on their interpretation, and you can also check out tutorials on the tune. Here's an example of Adam from open studio going over how to do voicings for lady bird. Open studio is a really good piano channel.

Another thing I like to do to work on harmony is just take 1 root say A and work on every type of chord on only that 1 root. Not in time, just modal style. That way it gives you time to work everything out without the constraint of changes and time. I'll play the chord and it's inversions, different alterations, arps, scales, riffs, and other devices to just work out the harmony. I'll work major, minor 7, minor major 7, dominant 7, augmented, diminished etc. with all their alterations.

User Info Menu

Thanks Jimmy. Looks interesting.

I don't play jazz on the piano (yet) but I can play a little bit of classical stuff. I'm just looking to do 5 minutes per day after I show my kids what to play.

Looking forward to getting stuck into those voicings

User Info Menu

No prob. That vid should be a good overview then. It shows the 3 situations to voice for and it shows what notes and extensions to use.