The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

She's been through hell with her cancer. "Xanadu" is a favorite film of mine. Gene Kelly, some cool songs (I always liked "Suddenly"), and you can clearly hear Jeff Lynne's influence.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

She had some good songs, my wife (and the world) LOVES "Grease" of course... my wife does NOT re-watch movies. I only know of 3 she has watched more than once, and the last 2 on this list she will watch over & over & over....

Bohemian Rhapsody
    Grease
    The Sound Of Music
    ...interestingly, neither of us has seen Xanadu. I am NOT a "musicals" person, but even I can watch the above 3 movies repeatedly.

Olivia seemed like a great person, and continued working through the years. Everyone loved her. Cancer sucks. Lost my mom to it back in March, my sister-in-law is currently fighting it, and my best friend has had it twice. At least Olivia made it to 73, she had a full life. God bless her and her family. Godspeed, Livvy!

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    ...interestingly, neither of us has seen Xanadu. I am NOT a "musicals" person, but even I can watch the above 3 movies repeatedly.
    Xanadu is a cool movie, because much of it was shot "live" without editing, because of the roller skating.

User Info Menu

Bohemian Rhapsody? How come? I mean it is a great movie, but I can not see Olivia connection, and that is not a musical for sure...

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Xanadu is a cool movie, because much of it was shot "live" without editing, because of the roller skating.
    ps - My daughter is a broadway song and dance person, and she told me the union won't let anyone do Xanadu live because of the dangers of someone breaking an ankle.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor
    Bohemian Rhapsody? How come? I mean it is a great movie, but I can not see Olivia connection, and that is not a musical for sure...
    My point was, Grease is one of only THREE movies she will re-watch agin & agin & again. And Bohemian Rhapsody wasn't a "traditional" musical, no... but loaded with music, I guess. Again- point being: my wife will only watch those 3, one of which is an ONJ movie. But this thread is about ONJ, not my wife.

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    My point was, Grease is one of only THREE movies she will re-watch agin & agin & again.
    ps - My daughter toured North America with Frankie Avalon in the Grease revival. Her role was "Frenchie." So we met him a few times, a very nice friendly down-to-earth guy.

User Info Menu

RIP, Olivia. I never saw "Grease" or "Xanadu" but I enjoyed several of her hits. This is probably my favorite.

User Info Menu

She was lovely with a beautiful voice. The 70’s wouldn’t have been the same without her.

Here’s my favorite ONJ doing a Bob Dylan song (arrangement similar to George Harrison’s). This is the opposite of polished and contrived. Tell me you don’t fall in love with her immediately.

And then there’s this one from a few years later. TBH I was not a fan of her more pop stuff which was underwritten and overproduced. (I had a roommate who played her incessantly, along with Kiss and Pink Floyd, but that’s another story.) Anyway, this was a date movie in 1978. I was 17. I think my date was the lovely Suzette Body (her real name), but I could be wrong. Great kisser. But I digress. I wasn’t expecting too much, with the pop star and the TV actor (despite his great star turn in Saturday Night Fever). And set in the 50’s…boring…

But, Grease was incredibly entertaining. The songs, the production, the dancing—it was all great, and a lot of fun to experience. And those skin-tight black pants and FM pumps…

Did Travolta really sing like that? Weird, but it works I guess.

User Info Menu

It has been a strange several days over which we have lost Archie Roach, Judith Durham and Olivia.

My wife knew Olivia well in the 1960s as part of the Melbourne rock 'n' roll scene, while the woman I was with at the time had been to school with her [Olivia that is, not my wife].

I was more part of the local jazz/blues scene and knew Judith through her connection to Frank Traynor.

I was homeless for a period in the 1980s and met Archie on the streets of Collingwood.

RIP to them all.

I always liked "Hopelessly Devoted" from Grease.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I always liked "Hopelessly Devoted" from Grease.

Oh, I much preferred "Bad Sandy"...

RIP Olivia.-olivia-newton-john-grease-0809-fe7cbf611d644f0fb8b5d42b2a6d9236-jpg

User Info Menu

It has been a strange several days over which we have lost Archie Roach, Judith Durham and Olivia.
    I just "discovered" Judith Durham a few months ago. I love the way her voice blends in on harmony parts.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohnoL
    I just "discovered" Judith Durham a few months ago. I love the way her voice blends in on harmony parts.
    When I was a kid, I used to listen to the Seekers, and I loved Georgie Girl, I'll Never Find Another You, etc..., but I never knew the lead singer's name. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    When I was a kid, I used to listen to the Seekers, and I loved Georgie Girl, I'll Never Find Another You, etc..., but I never knew the lead singer's name. RIP

Well well, live imromptu with the Les Paul group, of all things.

User Info Menu

I was going to post that Les Paul video. Just beautiful talent all the way around.