The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I first heard Steve Turre at Chicago's Jazz Showcase in the 70's and I was immediately taken by his unique voice and sound. Here's an interesting video of this master musician and interpreter. Enjoy.
    Marinero

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Here's a follow-up of some of Steve's fine playing.
    Marinero

User Info Menu

Is he still.playing the shells

User Info Menu

Yeah I’ve seen him doing that, gives ‘shell chords’ a new meaning!

Steve Turre - Bone Magic-96bce481-566f-44c9-881f-0b140f6dfd0d-jpeg

User Info Menu

A good example of the shells in action here:

User Info Menu

Hi, W,
    Yes . . . he still plays the shells and it was how he became noticed early on in his career. I've seen him several times at the Jazz Showcase in Chicago and the shells were always a crowd pleaser. Frankly, for me, it was nothing more than a curiosity and it is/was his bone playing that I love(d) to hear. The bone is a difficult instrument to get a clean sound without sounding harsh or edgy because of how a player must control his air volume and playing "piano-softly" can be a real challenge. When I was doing horn bands as a saxer during the early Mesozoic, I always tried to hire bone players for the horn section since it took a big sound and made it a monster sound with the big bottom: bone, tenor, flugelhorn/trumpet, trumpet vs tenor, alto, with 2 trumpets. Steve is a consummate artist. Thanks for the reply.
    Marinero