The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 80

User Info Menu

Apart from the guitar, I don't see any other option.
    What about you?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The trumpet is pretty awesome.

User Info Menu

Is there another instrument besides guitar?

User Info Menu

I would like piano but the keys arranged white black white black continuously. I would still probably play guitar only tho

User Info Menu

I played flute, drums and both upright and electric bass (fretted and fretless) as I was coming up as a young pro. I think becoming a decent bassist is very beneficial for any guitarist, both musically and possibly fiscally, since good bassists are in short supply. I played lots of bass gigs because I enjoyed it and got into it, studying Ray Brown and Ron Carter as well as McCartney and the guy I consider the best of all electric bassists, Carles Benavent, who played for years with Paco de Lucia and played with Miles on one of his last gigs. The "Jaco" of Europe without the attendant problems, in my opinion.

User Info Menu

First instrument was guitar, by ear, at nine years old. I played trumpet in marching band for about 3-4 years and learned to read as a result. Took up electric bass in HS and gigged quite a bit. Triple-majored in trumpet, double bass, and guitar for about a year in college before settling on guitar as my primary instrument. Struggled through class piano as a college music major; agree with Alan, piano is an entirely different set of skills than guitar. On my bucket list is a goal to become a decent pianist.

User Info Menu

Are there other instruments?? Seriously, I was actually thinking about this recently. There's a magical/spiritual connection with the guitar for me. Never had a desire to play another instrument.

But, I have always thought upright bass, violin, and cello were cool instruments. I played a gig recently with a violin and cello. The sound was magical, even with my fumbling on a nylon string guitar.

User Info Menu

Pedal steel ! I'd say it's just another kind of guitar, but it really isn't. I've loved the sound since I was a little kid. I also love the Stick, and I may yet get to that.

About 30 years ago, I bought a student model 8 string single neck with 3 pedals and 2 levers from a friend and started to practice an hour a day. After 3 years, I still sounded like a beginner - so I gave up in frustration and promised myself I'd buy another when I retired from my day gig. My plan was to devote all necessary time to learning how to play it. I've been retired from my day gig for 6 years now, but I just don't know if I can live with that level of frustration if the same thing happens again. I just find it extremely hard to play well (OK, make that impossible for me to play well).

There are some instruments that do that to me, and I have no idea why - there's just something in my brain that filters out specific combinations of eye-hand-ear coordination and prevents me from mastering them. I started playing piano as a toddler and began lessons (my only formal training on an instrument) when I was 5. Family legend has it that my father was taking lessons in our house, and after his lesson I'd climb up on the bench and play his assignment by ear. So he quit after a year of that and his teacher took me on. My lessons lasted about 10 years, at which point I quit because she had no tolerance for imnprovisation or jazz. She taught me her version of "music theory", which had little to do with real world music except for the fundamentals of classical composition. I've always believed that she was actually a witch.

I took up guitar at 9, and subsequently learned to play trumpet, saxes, bass, vibes, drums, and a few others. But in addition to the pedal steel debacle, I've never been able to learn to play well on anything tuned in 5ths. Violin, cello, tenor banjo, mandolin etc have all proved beyond my comprehension when tuned as they're supposed to be tuned.

Guitarist - what instrument would you like to play besides the guitar?-shobud_pedal_steel-jpg Guitarist - what instrument would you like to play besides the guitar?-loving_troll-gif

User Info Menu

The same as everyone else, the ophicleide.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Apart from the guitar, I don't see any other option.
    What about you?
    I learned to play bass and I wish every guitarist friend I know did as well; This way when we have a jam and there are multiple guitarist (like there always are!) and no "real" bass player, us guitarist can rotate playing bass.

User Info Menu

piano for sure

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Other than the usual fooling with bass and keys, the only other instrument I really focused on was chromatic harmonica.

I spent a fair amount of time practicing, but it's a very hard instrument.

User Info Menu

Vibes is such a beautiful sounding instrument.

User Info Menu

I once had a whim and I had to obey it
    To buy a French Horn in a second-hand shop;
    I polished it up and I started to play it
    In spite of the neighbours who begged me to stop

User Info Menu

I used to play the violin, gave it up years back but I sometimes miss it. I didn't - and wouldn't - play jazz violin though. I've heard nobody ever playing violin in jazz who I enjoyed listening to. For jazz, I'll just stick to playing the guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by reventlov
    I used to play the violin, gave it up years back but I sometimes miss it. I didn't - and wouldn't - play jazz violin though. I've heard nobody ever playing violin in jazz who I enjoyed listening to. For jazz, I'll just stick to playing the guitar.
    List of jazz violinists - Wikipedia

User Info Menu

Stuff Smith was great.

User Info Menu

Piano probably. As much fun as a woodwind or horn would be (clarinet or sax), I'm not sure how I'd feel about not being able to play chords.

I'd also say slide on a resonator guitar, but that's still a guitar....

User Info Menu

Always wanted to play the bagpipes. Never got around to it. Maybe in a couple of years when I retire from my "day job."

AND, pedal steel.

User Info Menu

Can't believe how few have said "Saxophone"! That instrument allows players to play lines we can only dream of.... not to mention the sound, the dynamic range, the expressive range etc etc ...

User Info Menu

Piano, probably, but overall, I'm a guitar player. There's no running or hiding from it.

User Info Menu

Hammond organ, it's always been my favorite to listen to. Classical, soul, R&B, rock, of course all the the jazz trios.

User Info Menu

I played clarinet from 4th grade right through univ music school band. Awesome instrument for understanding the guitar, it's the exact same reading range.

User Info Menu

Upright Bass and also, Slap Bass on a regular bass guitar. That would be heaven for me to be able to play at a high level.