The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 80
  1. #51

    User Info Menu

    Hi,

    Trumpet for sure, I love that extremely expressive instrument.



    Last edited by balthazar; 01-30-2022 at 04:30 PM.

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #52

    User Info Menu

    When I tell people that I do music I always feel embarrassed having to admit it's the guitar rather than, say, piano, or violin, cello, and so on. I know what they're thinking because it's associated with deadbeats, mindless strumming, or some ghastly rock music stuff. You can see their expectations slide right down the scale while they feign interest. It just ain't respectable.

    I'm even embarrassed saying it here :-)

    But I do like the guitar, it's definitely my soul. I couldn't do anything else.


  4. #53

    User Info Menu

    Voice.

  5. #54

    User Info Menu

    Voice is the instrument every other instrument wants to be. Every musician can sing, it's just a question of technique and finding your voice. And nobody should be embarrassed by playing the guitar, unless you're lousy at it. It a great and ancient instrument, comfortable in an amazing range of styles.

  6. #55

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ronjazz
    Voice is the instrument every other instrument wants to be. Every musician can sing, it's just a question of technique and finding your voice. And nobody should be embarrassed by playing the guitar, unless you're lousy at it. It a great and ancient instrument, comfortable in an amazing range of styles.
    My guitar doesn’t need other guitars around to make a chord.

  7. #56

    User Info Menu

    In the jazz / standards idiom, I would choose piano, which has a much richer sonic range than guitar in an ensemble.

    But I love guitar for solo accompaniment to a voice.

    And for blues, rock, and folk, nothing can touch it.

  8. #57

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ronjazz
    Voice is the instrument every other instrument wants to be. Every musician can sing, it's just a question of technique and finding your voice. And nobody should be embarrassed by playing the guitar, unless you're lousy at it. It a great and ancient instrument, comfortable in an amazing range of styles.
    My wife is a fabulous vocalist, as a teen she turned down a deal at Eastman for voice because she wanted to concentrate on violin at a different uni. Go figure. She's always telling me "Make that thing sing!" One of these days I'll get an ebow and surprise her.

    Ebow Plus Electronic Bow for Guitar | Sweetwater

  9. #58

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    My wife is a fabulous vocalist, as a teen she turned down a deal at Eastman for voice because she wanted to concentrate on violin at a different uni. Go figure. She's always telling me "Make that thing sing!" One of these days I'll get an ebow and surprise her.

    Ebow Plus Electronic Bow for Guitar | Sweetwater
    My wife also is a fabulous vocalist.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #59

    User Info Menu

    Hammond B3 organ, upright bass and vibes in that order.
    I had a B3 and 2 Leslie 122's in my house for yrs but didn't apply myself as much as I should, was too busy working on guitar. Besides, it was nice having my organ playing friends over w out having to drag my guitar and amp over to their place for rehearsals.
    Sold the organ to free up some space but kept one of the Leslie's and have a Hammond XK2 hooked up to it for rehearsals.

  11. #60

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    When I tell people that I do music I always feel embarrassed having to admit it's the guitar rather than, say, piano, or violin, cello, and so on. I know what they're thinking because it's associated with deadbeats, mindless strumming, or some ghastly rock music stuff. You can see their expectations slide right down the scale while they feign interest. It just ain't respectable.

    I'm even embarrassed saying it here :-)

    But I do like the guitar, it's definitely my soul. I couldn't do anything else.
    Strange because when I say that I play jazz guitar it always arouses interest and respect.

  12. #61

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Strange because when I say that I play jazz guitar it always arouses interest and respect.
    Must be nice to live in Europe, where jazz is appreciated.

    I tell people that and they put their hand on their wallet or clutch their purse closer to their side.

  13. #62

    User Info Menu

    I spent several years doubling on flute and saxophone, it's at least 40 years since I've played either, although I pick up my flute a couple times a year, keep intending to bring it back up to speed, but never do. These days, I wish I had doubled on trumpet instead, and still think I'd like to learn the 'cello, if only to be able to play in an amateur string group.

  14. #63

    User Info Menu

    I think if I had a chance, I would have really liked to learn how to play the chromatic button accordion. I love the way it sounds in the manouche setting and it's an instrument I've always enjoyed listening to.

  15. #64

    User Info Menu

    Trumpet, clarinet, piano, mandolin. I've actually dabbled in all of them, mandolin more than the others. I took a course in trumpet in college, taught by a tuba player, because I had to have some arts courses for my BA after I switched from a science major. I had always wanted to play trumpet. I might have stayed with it more if I had known about mutes. I sort of like steel guitar, but not pedal. I bought a cheap violin, but it's very hard to play well, and it's painful to listen to myself trying to intonate even a little. I acquired a clarinet in trade for a case of Coors beer back in the early 70s, and taught myself the basics, but I let it slide. I was inspired by Tiny Moore to pick up mandolin, and built myself some 5-string electrics. I still play now and then, but mostly guitar. When I retired I bought a Yamaha keyboard, intending to learn piano, but I've made little progress, mostly because I've done little practice. I really should do more work on more instruments, but guitar is hard enough.
    Last edited by sgosnell; 02-02-2022 at 06:25 PM.

  16. #65

    User Info Menu

    I play Trumpet, Flugelhorn, and Piano. I turned to Jazz Guitar 10 years ago to learn Bossa Nova on Guitar. It’s been a very fun journey. I couldn’t simply play one single instrument. I played Saxophone 40 years ago while I was in the Navy going through a Stanley Turrentine phase. I’m studying on a Mojo 76 key organ keyboard at the moment. They’re truly a respectable B3 clone.

  17. #66

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Trumpet, clarinet, piano, mandolin. I've actually dabbled in all of them, mandolin more than the others. I took a course in trumpet in college, taught by a tuba player, because I had to have some arts courses for my BA after I switched from a science major. I had always wanted to play trumpet. I might have stayed with it more if I had known about mutes. I sort of like steel guitar, but not pedal. I bought a cheap violin, but it's very hard to play well, and it's painful to listen to myself trying to intonate even a little. I acquired a clarinet in trade for a case of Coors beer back in the early 70s, and taught myself the basics, but I let it slide. I was inspired by Tiny Moore to pick up mandolin, and built myself some 5-string electrics. I still play now and then, but mostly guitar. When I retired I bought a Yamaha keyboard, intending to learn piano, but I've made little progress, mostly because I've done little practice. I really should do more work on more instruments, but guitar is hard enough.
    Oh no! You studied trumpet and never discovered mutes? You weren’t aware of the sound of Miles or Chet?

  18. #67

    User Info Menu









  19. #68

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Oh no! You studied trumpet and never discovered mutes? You weren’t aware of the sound of Miles or Chet?
    Even tubas have mutes!


  20. #69

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Oh no! You studied trumpet and never discovered mutes? You weren’t aware of the sound of Miles or Chet?
    Their records weren't available in the drugstore which was the only place that sold records in town, and I didn't get to town that often. All I had was a radio, and AM radio didn't play jazz, just rock&roll or country. Once I started college where there were record stores, I didn't have the money to buy many. I got the trumpet in a pawn shop for very little money, and it was worth every penny that I paid. Once I graduated and went into the Army, it had to go into storage.

  21. #70

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Even tubas have mutes!
    And we thank our lucky stars for that! If only someone would use them.

  22. #71

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Their records weren't available in the drugstore which was the only place that sold records in town, and I didn't get to town that often. All I had was a radio, and AM radio didn't play jazz, just rock&roll or country. Once I started college where there were record stores, I didn't have the money to buy many. I got the trumpet in a pawn shop for very little money, and it was worth every penny that I paid. Once I graduated and went into the Army, it had to go into storage.
    I’d play my Flugelhorn on board ship while in the Navy. There was nothing like playing while being surrounded by 360 degrees of water. You could play without anyone around at the Bow or Aft. At the time Freddie Hubbard was a huge influence.

  23. #72

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by reventlov
    I used to play the violin, gave it up years back but I sometimes miss it. I didn't - and wouldn't - play jazz violin though. I've heard nobody ever playing violin in jazz who I enjoyed listening to. For jazz, I'll just stick to playing the guitar.
    Man, I wish I'd played violin, too! Ever heard Michael Urbaniak? I came across this rare, obscure LP back in 1981 back when it came out, and I never saw another copy again. Back then, I bought it purely based upon the cover and the somehow alluring title implying to me some kind of fusion of styles, although I wouldn't say this is a jazz-rock Fusion album at all—although Urbaniak did release several of those over his career back then, even one co-led with Larry Coryell. (Note: Here's the original release cover although it's since been re-released under a few other titles like 'Jazz Legends')...

    Guitarist - what instrument would you like to play besides the guitar?-michael-urbaniak-jpeg

    I loved it right from the very first note. Seven tunes, tight and swingin': four 'Blue Note' era standards, plus three originals that fit right in with the others (IMO). Guitarist Ted Dunbar is on it, along with Kenny Barron, Buster Williams, and Roy Haynes. Phew, right?! Still, it's Urbaniak here that I can't get enough of... the expression, the swing, the growl and 'vocal' quality he's getting out of his violin!

    At the time, I remember feeling kind of guilty because I actually semi-seriously wished that I was playing violin—just like Urbaniak!—instead of guitar. Had I somehow made a mistake years earlier? Nah... but still, by that point, I was way too committed to guitar to ever really seriously considering switching or even possibly dividing my time to also take up such a different instrument (past it having strings, of course!). Anyway, this is one of my favorite "non-guitar" jazz albums ever. (BTW, violin-wise, I'm also a huge fan of Jean-Luc Ponty.)

    Check this album out if you've never heard it before...

    Last edited by ooglybong; 02-06-2022 at 04:59 PM.

  24. #73

    User Info Menu

    It has been a good solid 20 years or so since I took piano playing seriously. I have a Yamaha electric piano on its way. Should have been here Friday but says that it is going to be delivered today (Sunday.) I am not holding my breath though. I am expecting another delay message any time now.

  25. #74

    User Info Menu

    I have thought about this

    In jazz I think I'd like to play bass or drums because then I wouldn't need to stay quiet while someone else is soloing.
    (some might make the same claim about the piano, but it is of highest importance for piano players to stay quiet when the superior chord instrument is playing the chords )

    I do though envy trumpet players a bit that their instruments are light and portable.
    So if there is a jam and you're not sure if you want to join or just listen, trumpets are easy to carry and unpack (some warm up is prefereable), you don't need to carry or set up an amplifier.

    Trumpets are excellent for melodies and solos but that's it. They can do fills and backgorunds, but I'll argue that it is not a strong suit.
    Likewise, saxophones are also excellent for melodies and solos, but they're frequently struggling with reeds and various mechanical issues with their instruments (stiff keys, pads, etc), so I'd pick a trumpet/cornet over a saxophone.


    For similar reasons I think would like to play violin in an orchestra. They are portable and have fewer quiet passages.

    I've thought about whether I'd like to join a choir, as a means to get more social life and music life, but concluded that I'd probably enjoy more to play in an orchestra, and since I don't know an orchestra instrument, I've thought double bass would be cool, because I could also use it for jazz, but I've also thougth violas are lighter to carry, and probably more in demand, and hence a lower threshold to entry than violin. (but fortunately I currently I have plenty of social life and music life by playing guitar in jazz settings)

    A few years ago (7ish) tried to study classical piano by myself to get more into classical music. It has a lot of repertoir and accessable material and you can play chords, melody, bass on the same instrument.
    But I didn't practise much guitar for that period of time, so I decided to focus on guitar.

    In general I think there are a lot of instruments that I would enjoy to play.

  26. #75

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Apart from the guitar, I don't see any other option.
    What about you?
    Difficult question, I play some instruments (all and none).

    The ones I already own.

    - Saxophones
    - Flute and recorder
    - Guitar
    - Bass
    - Keyboard (piano)
    - Violin
    - Melodica
    - Cornet (I used to love that, now I hate)
    - Ukulele
    - Diatonic harmonica (I had a chromatic one, I don't know where it is now)
    - Some percussions (eggs, claves, derbuka...)

    The ones I sometimes play.

    - Drums (I practice at home on a pad and I have got brushes I usually play on a desk, a table or a door)
    - Upright bass (I like that)
    - Real piano

    About the drums, I recorded something, a few years ago, my set was a plastic bag and an empty chocolate box.

    Then in my new house I recorded something with brushes.


    So do I need something else ?

    Yes, I barely play music but play all the time because it's my job.

    No, when I die some people will hate me because of the mess I will let them.

    A year ago, I wanted an accordion, a piano accordion, it is not very popular in my country, we've got C system button accordions not piano accordions.
    I was about to buy one.... But I had already bought a melodica a year before in order to get comfortable with that concept... And the instrument I tried wasn't in a good shape and smelled awful...

    So... I would like to play...

    - Accordions (all kinds)
    - Bandoneon
    - Clarinets
    - Lutes
    - Organ
    - Cello
    - Viola
    - Viola da gamba
    ...

    But first I've got to learn how to play the guitar and the other instruments.

    Difficult question indeed !