The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 80

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    Hammond organ, it's always been my favorite to listen to. Classical, soul, R&B, rock, of course all the the jazz trios.
    You should get an XK-5!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Accordion, banjo or bagpipes!

Just kidding.

Bass or piano.

User Info Menu

I'm going with voice is an instrument. Sure would be nice to have a really good singing voice.

Not sure how we are defining "play an instrument". I already dabble with guitar, piano, bass, mandolin, voice, and uke (and I have a digeridoo also).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Phil59
    Accordion, banjo or bagpipes!

Just kidding.

Bass or piano.
    It's funny that accordion is included with the annoying instruments. I think it sounds nice!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Clint 55
    It's funny that accordion is included with the annoying instruments. I think it sounds nice!
    Yeah, actually, maybe I'd change mine to accordion.

User Info Menu

I played trumpet for many years. Most of my musical income came from trumpet gigs.
    Unfortunately, a lifetime of smoking finally caught up with me and ended all that.
    I still wish I could play.

User Info Menu

When listening to music i tend to focus on the bassplayer a lot. Not sure why, but i do.
    So i choose an electric bass.

User Info Menu

I used to have to play every band instrument when I had a HS music teaching gig for fifteen years.
    With concert/jazz band, if a kid didn't show up, I'd have to play that instrument if it was an important part.
    My fave was keyboard. If we had a kid singing, I had to back them up on keyboard. Most of the time I could get away with it,if we had a bass player, but I had this one chick who could sing her ass off, and she could hear anything. She kept putting me down when we had rehearsals without a bass player, so I gave up and found a kid who could actually play the piano to accompany her

I googled her name just before the pandemic, and she was doing the National US tour of "Hamilton".

User Info Menu

I used to play tenor, alto, soprano sax, clarinet, and flute in addition to guitar. I fiddled with trumpet after my brother abandoned his to the closet but never became serious with the instrument. However, in my later/mature years, I would have liked to play the cello. I think it is one of the most beautiful, expressive instruments ,of all, with a range similar to the human voice.
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

I play a few other instruments: Mandolin, violin, banjo (tenor is my favorite to play outside the guitar) kalimba, recorder (especially the tenor). I also have a uke that I mess around with. Trumpet has always had an attraction, and I played it briefly in elementary school.

The instrument I should have taken up as a kid was alto saxophone. I’m a huge Paul Desmond fan, been trying to get that phrasing onto guitar for almost 40 years. But living in a Brooklyn apartment means tenor and alto recorder at best for wind instruments.

User Info Menu

I fool around with a bunch of instruments but really wish I was better at keyboards. Unfortunately my brain is not wired that way.

User Info Menu

its hard to beat the guitar as an instrument, but if i had to pick, it would be: voice, hands-down

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RonD
    I played trumpet for many years. Most of my musical income came from trumpet gigs.
    Unfortunately, a lifetime of smoking finally caught up with me and ended all that.
    I still wish I could play.
    A guy in my old neighborhood was a heavy smoker and played the bagpipes. He would play out in front in his driveway, and have a cig between every tune. I can't imagine how bad his pipes smelled.

User Info Menu

I'd like to be able to play a flugelhorn.

User Info Menu

Now working on voice.

Drums would be next.

User Info Menu

I play trombone, although I don't gig as a trombonist.
    I took it up after hearing players like Urbie Green and Kai Winding. I've never been great at it but it's a lot of fun. It's probably the most lyrical sounding instrument in my opinion.

Aside from that, I'd love to take up double bass, but the cost of entry is too high... even a decent student grade bass is pretty expensive

User Info Menu

In the last few years I've expanded my horizons into Uke, Bass, Banjo, and Mandola.
    I also have a Pan Flute and a Chromatic Harmonica (hedges against arthritis), but I can't play either very well.
    I once had a borrowed trombone, and it was fun but just a brief diversion.
    We also have a piano, but it frustrates me - I can see all the notes I want to play, but I can't make my fingers hit them at the right time.
    Anyway, I'm still primarily a guitarist, but I've been having a hard time not reaching for the Mandola lately!
    Oh, and I think I'm getting a Doumbek for my birthday!
    This one:
    Guitarist - what instrument would you like to play besides the guitar?-meinl-bass-doubbek-jpg
    Not this one:
    Attached Images Attached Images Guitarist - what instrument would you like to play besides the guitar?-meinl-copper-doumbek-jpg 
    Last edited by Tom Karol; 12-27-2021 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Make that a Bass Doumbek!

User Info Menu

Hammond organ.

User Info Menu

Glass armonica.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    The same as everyone else, the ophicleide.

So cool.

User Info Menu

I'd like to play piano better!
    I "fake" bass, and I'd like to get better at that, too! I can read bass, so I play one or two (paid!) musicals per year.

User Info Menu

Bass.

User Info Menu

Well, I play trombone in a brass band - not much in the way of jazz in the brass band repertoire, but it's great when we do play it. I'm learning cello, hoping to get good enough for the local amateur symphony orchestra, but they're very, very good considering they're all amateurs. I'd love to play the tenor banjo well enough for Dixieland jazz - there's one Dixieland jazz band in my city. And the second instrument I ever learned, after first starting with the guitar, was the pedal steel. I wish I had been able to afford one, even a student model, way back then ... I wanted to play both 'Trane and JS Bach on it.

User Info Menu

+1
    voice and drums.