The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

My quick little project this morning to get the day started.

What are you guys transcribing that's not jazz related?

Last edited by Liarspoker; 12-01-2021 at 07:36 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I don't have time to transcribing pop music staff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    I don't have time to transcribing pop music staff.
    The benefit of working from home while the kids are at school

User Info Menu

Very little in the way of actual transcribing, but I have made a game out of trying to figure out the chords to the pop tunes my kids like without an instrument in hand, usually while in the car...i find it good for my ear.

User Info Menu

It doesn't matter what you transcribe, it's important to hear better in the end.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Very little in the way of actual transcribing, but I have made a game out of trying to figure out the chords to the pop tunes my kids like without an instrument in hand, usually while in the car...i find it good for my ear.
    That's funny. I was teaching a young girl (and her mum) last week and the the girl said that she tried to work out Row Row Row Your Boat by ear while we were working on Jingle Bells. I said fine try it for one more week and continued on with the lesson. That night I dreamt and could see myself playing the song perfectly and instantly knew what the chords were. Very strange. When I woke up I didn't even have to play it because I knew the dream was right. I put it down to my subconscious working it out while I forgot about it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    It doesn't matter what you transcribe, it's important to hear better in the end.
    Yes, to hear anything and instantly know what it is

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Liarspoker
    That's funny. I was teaching a young girl (and her mum) last week and the the girl said that she tried to work out Row Row Row Your Boat by ear while we were working on Jingle Bells. I said fine try it for one more week and continued on with the lesson. That night I dreamt and could see myself playing the song perfectly and instantly knew what the chords were. Very strange. When I woke up I didn't even have to play it because I knew the dream was right. I put it down to my subconscious working it out while I forgot about it.
    I still remember the first time I was able to do it...I had only been playing a few years, and I was driving somewhere with a friend, and Sheryl Crow's "If it Makes You Happy" came on the radio...first time I had heard it. And when the chorus came, I could hear...Am...C...G...D

It wasn't so much recognizing pitch as well as it was recognizing the timbre of those specific open chords, but it showed me that it was possible to figure out things by ear without even having an instrument as a reference, and I thought that was REALLY cool.

On topic, I actually did it last night with Billy Strayhorn's "Blood Count," for which I could not find a chart that I didn't think was awful. I was able to follow the bass movement and plug in chords as I went...Using the chart I had as a reference, I made the corrections I heard, and pretty much knew how I was going to play it before I picked up the guitar. Felt like a good accomplishment.