The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

Part 1 is here: Jerry Coker's Keyboard book, Interested in a Study Group

Starting this new thread by popular request , starting on page 25.

Adding the 9ths and 13ths... page 25. Still not that many voicings but enough to where I'm getting lost...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Pg 25 chords over Exercise 4

My brain is working hard trying to remember and follow all these chords. Hopefully, this will eventually become automatic.

Next, I'll try to bring these chords into a jazz standard or two.

User Info Menu

Page 26 Progression 5

So I recognized this tune and decided to add bass and the melody. I wish I could have done a walking bass for the 2nd 16 m. but it turned out to be too hard for me at this point. I'm figuring I can move on with the book and I'll get this stuff better over time with review.

User Info Menu

Love the Shepherd! Give yourself time. Try LH Voicings in the center of the keyboard first before trying to tackle left hand bass line. That’s a year away. You’re coming along greatly. Soon these voicings will be automatically programmed into your hands and you’ll create them by shapes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Love the Shepherd! Give yourself time. Try LH Voicings in the center of the keyboard first before trying to tackle left hand bass line. That’s a year away. You’re coming along greatly. Soon these voicings will be automatically programmed into your hands and you’ll create them by shapes.
    Thanks, I love that Shepherd and the young Golden even though Golden has so much energy and can be a trouble maker. The Shepherd helps keep him in line.

Stella Blue, the Shepherd, likes to guard the house and has a really loud bark which has interrupted many musical recording takes.

I'm about one page from the start of the rootless voicings, maybe today.

User Info Menu

Good job on your piano progress. I thought your guitar work was enjoyable to listen to. I like blues or rock touches mixed in with jazz which is uncommon for some reason.

User Info Menu

This is Progression 11 from page 28, Horace Silvers Peace.

I wanted an acoustic bass and the acoustic basses as part of the XPand!2 sound module weren't sounding right to me so I tweaked the settings for the first time. All I did was reduce the "Decay" and it sound less synthy. So I played bass on the keyboard but no video of that.

User Info Menu

No keyboard playing lately, or just not recording?

User Info Menu

No keyboard playing lately, or just not recording?
    Thanks for checking in. I haven't been it at as much lately though I still touch the keys and run the chords through the cycle enough to not lose what I obtained.

I collaborate with a friend and he has kept me busy. But, I need to start using a to-do list and get more productive on these other things.

The book did throw a curveball. Page 30 shows some rootless left-hand voicings over the blues and then... he says to improvise with the right hand over that. This seems out of left field as we have only done chord work, there is pretty much no instruction on how to improvise, and I thought playing chords was what this book was about. So I suppose I'll need to cross this next hurdle.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Thanks for checking in. I haven't been it at as much lately though I still touch the keys and run the chords through the cycle enough to not lose what I obtained.

I collaborate with a friend and he has kept me busy. But, I need to start using a to-do list and get more productive on these other things.

The book did throw a curveball. Page 30 shows some rootless left-hand voicings over the blues and then... he says to improvise with the right hand over that. This seems out of left field as we have only done chord work, there is pretty much no instruction on how to improvise, and I thought playing chords was what this book was about. So I suppose I'll need to cross this next hurdle.
    Coker wrote so many improvisation books long before this one. Perhaps he assumed people had read those before creating the piano book. But yes, the idea is to comp for yourself as you improvise. But you knew that. But now?

User Info Menu

Okay 2bornot2... be careful what you wish for.

Coker's book said "improvise" and that seems to have thrown my progress on the back burner. That wasn't my intention or purpose of going thru the book, and was a bit more than I bargained for. But in the spirit of embarrassing myself...

User Info Menu

Ha!, ha!. Well done, Fep.

It is so much easier getting those notes on the piano to ring out when you improvise. Also, the notes are laid out for you. The downside is trying to comp at the same time that you play those notes, as you already have said.

User Info Menu

Great job Fep! Emphasize the “and of Four. Or as my piano teacher called it The Foot. Then try comping between both hands. Your on your way.
    Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 01-04-2022 at 04:08 PM.

User Info Menu

And your at the level where you can do this.

User Info Menu

And your at the level where you can do this.

That was awesome

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    That was awesome
    Don’t be intimidated. Slow the tempo down, to 40 bpm if necessary, and build up from there. You can read correct?