Posts 51 to 61 of 61

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BWV
    well can’t get geoduck around here
    (Googles...)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Hip hop and rap are pretty different...but what they share is that they're a whole lot more relevant than any guitar based music.
    I can not figure out what do you mean. Relevant... how? as music? or socially?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor
    Both.

User Info Menu

Conciese wording is a virtue :-), I am also trying to practice it, but many times I fail...
    Anyway, in social dimension I have way less knowledge on this topic which would be enough to form opinion, but in musical dimension I have doubts. Can we consider blues have partly guitar based roots? Also I can consider rock (including Beatles, Jimmy Hendrix etc) also guitar based. Yes vocal is there, but guitar is also fundamental. Those genres are essential, relevant too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor
    Never been a rap fan. It’s not from my generation. But you don’t have to be from rap’s generation to understand why it exists. In short, rap gives a voice to those who feel they’ve been left behind. And ironically, it’s got a sizable following on a worldwide basis. Heck, they’re even doing rap in Turkey! Rap has had an influence in all parts of the world. They aren’t playing rock and roll in Egypt. But they’re doing rap. Rap is the voice of the minority. And you don’t have to be black to understand that.

User Info Menu

I'd argue hip hop/rap IS the blues music of today.

I don't think of rock as particularly relevant at all. Music marketed to white dudes in their 40's doesn't exactly scream "hip."

User Info Menu

First, why is it important to be 'relevant.' Second, the pop music that's out there today varies. It doesn't have to be either rap or 40 year old white dudes listening to rock. I would much rather listen to straight pop than rap.

User Info Menu

I'd argue hip hop/rap IS the blues music of today.

I don't think of rock as particularly relevant at all. Music marketed to white dudes in their 40's doesn't exactly scream "hip."
    Rock today is how we know what dinosaurs sounded like.

User Info Menu

It's funny how guitar music is dated now. I grew up during the last hurrah of guitar band music as popular. I graduated high school in 03 then was in college/college age during the last of it in the 00s. I was watching Wedding Crashers the other day and the credits song came on, some pop punk song, and I'm thinking wow that's dated now. That movie is from 05 but it doesn't feel that long ago.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Clint 55
    First, why is it important to be 'relevant.' Second, the pop music that's out there today varies. It doesn't have to be either rap or 40 year old white dudes listening to rock. I would much rather listen to straight pop than rap.

Good question. I'm a boomer and I don't look at the music of my generation as important or relevant.

User Info Menu

Hip hop and rap are pretty different...but what they share is that they're a whole lot more relevant than any guitar based music.
    Boomers are cashing out so it's time for reflection. It's all about the music and songs can have any kind of subject matter.
    Whatever rap or hip hop culture is about isn't my concern. They don't need my opinion.

Like they used to say in the 60's- do your own thing. I always have and always will believe in that.