The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

The Flatlanders are Joe Ely, Butch Hancock, and Jimme Dale Gilmore. This is their first album in a long time, mostly covers.

https://www.nodepression.com/the-fla...JAje_PcnTIppU0

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Now that's the GOOD kind of country music.

User Info Menu

Love Joe Ely. Criminally underrated.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    Love Joe Ely. Criminally underrated.
    Me too. First thing I heard of his was the "Live Shots" album, from a tour opening for The Clash. (Joe recently posted some pictures of himself and The Clash at the Alamo several decades ago.) Still enjoy that album. Had a girlfriend once who was crazy about Ely's "Musta Notta Gotta Lotta" album. "Lord of the Highway" and "Dig All Night" are favorites of mine.

Here's a nice live set from 2010, with David Grissom on guitar.

User Info Menu

Yup, Grissom got his start with Ely. (well, he did play for Lucinda first, for a short while, but he credits Ely for his growth as a musician into what he is today). Then Mellencamp stole him from Ely (with Ely's blessing).

Grissom is a fave of mine. I'm kind of a "disciple" lol.

User Info Menu

Yup, Grissom got his start with Ely. (well, he did play for Lucinda first, for a short while, but he credits Ely for his growth as a musician into what he is today). Then Mellencamp stole him from Ely (with Ely's blessing).

Grissom is a fave of mine. I'm kind of a "disciple" lol.
    I've read that David toured with the Allman Bros. Would like to hear some of that music.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    I've read that David toured with the Allman Bros. Would like to hear some of that music.
    Very briefly. Only for about 2 weeks, filling in for Dicky Betts. he even played through Bett's rig.

User Info Menu

Very briefly. Only for about 2 weeks, filling in for Dicky Betts. he even played through Bett's rig.
    Found a couple videos on YouTube....

Here Grissom is with his own band but they do Betts' "Jessica", so....

User Info Menu

Back to The Flatlanders. From a 2017 show. "I Had My Hopes Up High," which Ely did on "Live Shots". I've known this song for 40 years now.

The way I first heard the song.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Back to The Flatlanders. From a 2017 show. "I Had My Hopes Up High," which Ely did on "Live Shots". I've known this song for 40 years now.
    If I'm not wrong the show from Austin,TX is June 21, 2002

The Flatlanders, "Treasure Of Love"-img_0907-jpg
    The Flatlanders, "Treasure Of Love"-img_0908-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by carlescountry
    If I'm not wrong the show from Austin,TX is June 21, 2002
    You're not wrong. I was wrong. I apologize.