The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

We used to do "Oasis" and a couple other Muldaur songs. Great material. Excellent interview with Lady and a scholar. Memphis Minnie, indeed!

Will have to check out Tuba Skinny.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    We used to do "Oasis" and a couple other Muldaur songs. Great material. Excellent interview with Lady and a scholar. Memphis Minnie, indeed!

Will have to check out Tuba Skinny.

Makes me miss New Orleans....

User Info Menu

One of my favorite among her earlier recordings. Band is so good!

User Info Menu

That’s a great interview. I’ve always liked her, and had a couple of albums over the years. Big fan of Tuba Skinny too, so I’ll download that soon. Great to see they got together.

Now I’m off to remind myself of the guitar solo on Midnight At The Oasis, which Stevie Wonder rates so highly.

User Info Menu

Actually, I’m surprised at how well I remember that solo, having heard it now for the first time in 45 (!) years. Enjoy:

Last edited by Rob MacKillop; 06-20-2021 at 05:52 PM.

User Info Menu

...and what a voice!

I believe the solo is a man named Amos Garrett if memory serves me.I used to rent a house he occupied in Woodstock,NY.

User Info Menu

Indeed, it was Amos> From the interview:

It’s not easily categorized. And Amos Garrett’s guitar playing on the song is almost iconic.

I know. Every time I have auditions for guitar players, the first thing they ask is, “Do I have to learn that?” It’s legendary among guitar players. In one year both Stevie Wonder and Chet Atkins said that his solo was one of the most brilliant pieces of music they had ever heard in pop music.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Actually, I’m surprised at how well I remember that solo, having heard it now for the first time in 45 (!) years. Enjoy:

Brilliant solo by Amos Garrett. Perfect feel and movement for Muldaur's voice.

User Info Menu

...and hearing MM sing this still puts me away, even after all these years.............

User Info Menu

I saw her in 1974, I was listening to the Midnight at the Oasis album a lot. Big venue, stadium at UC Santa Barbara, Elvin Bishop, Great American String Band, Maria Muldur, Grateful Dead. She was a hit, the crowd was in a very receptive but altered state for the most part. I was 16.