The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 44 of 44

User Info Menu

I guess I’m not seeing the issue here. Clapton composed the song mostly, and Jim Gordon contributed part. If he lied about where he got the melody for the piano part from, isn’t that between Rita Coolidge and Gordon?

Or she can sue the publisher. She would need some proof that she herself composed the melody, not Gordon.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Most people don't realize that Mark Knopfler really wrote Layla. This is an early demo of the tune.

I was friends with Greg Fingers Taylor who got some terrible muscle and mental disease after he played for Jimmy Buffet for over 20 years. The cost of his being in a full service med facility was over 5000$ a month and his family had to advertise to the public for contributions to afford it. Buffet was listed as being worth over 400 million dollars. What does that tell you about big time singers?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steve burchfield
    I was friends with Greg Fingers Taylor who got some terrible muscle and mental disease after he played for Jimmy Buffet for over 20 years. The cost of his being in a full service med facility was over 5000$ a month and his family had to advertise to the public for contributions to afford it. Buffet was listed as being worth over 400 million dollars. What does that tell you about big time singers?
    Since you were actually friends with him, did he actually tell you Buffet had no interest in helping out at all? This would be the first "bad" thing I have heard about Buffett... another guy with long-standing (loyal) band members.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    I guess I’m not seeing the issue here. Clapton composed the song mostly, and Jim Gordon contributed part. ...
    Except for the main riff which he lifted from Albert King... As The Years Go Passing By... Eric just sped the vocal line up, lol.

I agree with your post though.

User Info Menu

great tune Layla ,
    i love the modulation into the verse ....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    Yeah, I'm a huge Billy Joel fan, and that one confounded me....
    I think his 'financial adviser' left him broke and middle aged & he got ruthless..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD
    Except for the main riff which he lifted from Albert King... As The Years Go Passing By... Eric just sped the vocal line up, lol.

I agree with your post though.
    Actually that was Duane playing that, not Eric, and if he did copy a riff it was just for the intro, not the melody.

There aren't any original blues riffs in existence these days anyway.

How many times has Sitting on Top of the World been rewritten with different lyrics?? I mean the Stones wouldn't have a career if not for lifted blues riffs.

User Info Menu

This isn’t solely a music issue; it’s a PEOPLE issue.

I served 20 years in the Air Force. I had bosses who drove you into the ground and thought the only way to know you were working was to exhaust you, and that!s what they did, physically and emotionally. They were the guys who claimed your work as theirs, since they “led” you in it (even though they weren’t there to supervise unless you were the focus of their micromanagement). Then there were leaders who literally inspired you and made you want to excel at everything you did (and of course all points in between).

The great leaders knew that promoting you and your success was the ultimate form of leading, and they were usually the ones who were picked to lead the special projects and teams focusing on the most important issues. That was the leader I wanted to be.

After I retired from the service, I knew that I would never work for a tyrant any longer than I had to. But I also realized that there are ways to manage a tyrant you work for. It includes always doing the right thing, and watching their back as much as ethically possible. I filed two HR ethics complaints against my boss in my first civilian job, and eventually quit. My boss couldn’t fire me because I was fixing her errors and putting out her fires, even though I filed the complaints when she refused to do the right thing. The HR manager knew I was looking out for the entire organization and pulled me aside and said if I ever wanted to come back, they’d find me a job somewhere else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by zcostilla; 06-22-2021 at 01:49 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Actually that was Duane playing that, not Eric, and if he did copy a riff it was just for the intro, not the melody.

There aren't any original blues riffs in existence these days anyway.

How many times has Sitting on Top of the World been rewritten with different lyrics?? I mean the Stones wouldn't have a career if not for lifted blues riffs.
    Or maybe Led Zeppelin too. Except both groups were so good they would have made it anyway eventually.

Why not EC and whoever else just take the high road and say publicly, Rita wrote this.

User Info Menu

See below for list of times Clapton has taken the high road:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    See below for list of times Clapton has taken the high road:
    Do you mean musically? I don't know much about Clapton's nonmusical life. But what about his Crossroads treatment center? Is that a good project or a rip-off?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zcostilla
    This isn’t solely a music issue; it’s a PEOPLE issue.

I served 20 years in the Air Force. I had bosses who drove you into the ground and thought the only way to know you were working was to exhaust you, and that!s what they did, physically and emotionally. They were the guys who claimed your work as theirs, since they “led” you in it (even though they weren’t there to supervise unless you were the focus of their micromanagement). Then there were leaders who literally inspired you and made you want to excel at everything you did (and of course all points in between).

The great leaders knew that promoting you and your success was the ultimate form of leading, and they were usually the ones who were picked to lead the special projects and teams focusing on the most important issues. That was the leader I wanted to be.

After I retired from the service, I knew that I would never work for a tyrant any longer than I had to. But I also realized that there are ways to manage a tyrant you work for. It includes always doing the right thing, and watching their back as much as ethically possible. I filed two HR ethics complaints against my boss in my first civilian job, and eventually quit. My boss couldn’t fire me because I was fixing her errors and putting out her fires, even though I filed the complaints when she refused to do the right thing. The HR manager knew I was looking out for the entire organization and pulled me aside and said if I ever wanted to come back, they’d find me a job somewhere else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I was Air Force too. It's funny you could spot those ladder-climbing officers a mile away. Fortunately, I had very few commanding me or working for me. Guess I was lucky.

A couple of markers for such a person was A) volunteering for something that made no rational sense except to buff the old OPR/EPR, and especially B) volunteering his unit for something that made no rational sense. (Which is how I got sent to Guantanamo in '94, but that's another story.)

Same in civilian life. Though I have heard a few stories over the years.

User Info Menu

If you haven't been yelled at by the producer, or had your work lifted, you haven't been in the studio much. GT

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    If you haven't been yelled at by the producer, or had your work lifted, you haven't been in the studio much. GT
    Guess I haven't been in the studio much LOL...

Too bad Phil Spector isn't around to bully the musicians and make em feel like they earned their pay.
    Last edited by Doctor Jeff; 06-25-2021 at 03:07 PM.

User Info Menu

Let's assume it's all true - is Rita due any money anyway? My understanding is that principal melody and lyric is the song. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Who gets paid for an outro idea?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wengr
    Let's assume it's all true - is Rita due any money anyway? My understanding is that principal melody and lyric is the song. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    My understanding was that everyone so gets writing credits divides the royalties evenly unless otherwise stipulated by contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wengr
    I don't think it's a matter of $, RC is already a multi-mil. It's a matter of being given proper credit for for a very famous music part.
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 06-26-2021 at 07:46 AM.