Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

I have 5 Guitars, 3 Ukuleles, an Electric Bass, and a Chicago-tuned Plectrum Banjo. They're all tuned basically like a Guitar or a part thereof. But a few weeks ago, I played a Tenor Banjo, which is tuned in 5ths, and I found the spread out chord voicings quite appealing. So, I started thinking about replacing my Plectrum with a Tenor, but I wasn't sure. Cut to the chase: Last Friday, I bought an Eastman MDA315 F-style Mandola from a local orchestral string instrument dealer. It, like the Tenor Banjo, is tuned like a Viola (C G D A). It doesn't sound anything like anything I have. So far, it's been a gas, but we'll see if an old dog can learn new tricks! Generic photo follows:
    NMD (New Mandola Day)!-my-mda315a-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Got lotsa curlicues and pointy parts, don’t it?

Congrats, looks nice!

I envy people who can play all kinds of string instruments in different tunings.

I myself have just never been able to deal with different tunings. I play the uke which is the same intervals as the guitar. My brain has a hard time adjusting. Maybe I could train it with some effort.

User Info Menu

Johnny Gimble used mandola tuning, on a mandolin with only 4 strings and a pickup. Playing an instrument tuned in fifths takes a little practice, but I didn't find it overly difficult after an initial time of getting used to it. I built a couple of solid-body 5-string mandolas, along with several mandolins, and still play them occasionally. I've given up on ever playing one as well as Tiny Moore did, though.

User Info Menu

Are we going to get to hear that beauty?

BTW

5ths are upside down 4ths, chord grips are the same as the bottom 4 strings of a guitar but flipped upside down. I saw this on my own but I'm guessing a lot of folks know this.

Guitar chord grip bottom four strings... 3.2.0.0.

Same grip on mando (flipped upside down) 0.0.2.3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep View Post
    Are we going to get to hear that beauty?

BTW

5ths are upside down 4ths, chord grips are the same as the bottom 4 strings of a guitar but flipped upside down. I saw this on my own but I'm guessing a lot of folks know this.

Guitar chord grip bottom four strings... 3.2.0.0.

Same grip on mando (flipped upside down) 0.0.2.3
    Sweet jeebus, you've confused me already. I still can't get my head around a lefty playing a guitar UPSIDE DOWN.

User Info Menu

I like the low notes so I hanker for a mandocello.

User Info Menu

Well, BDLH, the open 4th string(s) on the Mandola is the same as the 5th string 3rd fret on a Guitar, but the open 1st string is the same note as the 1st string 5th fret on a Guitar. An open C chord (0 0 2 3) is C G E C - 2 octaves in 4 (8) strings instead of 6!
    Last edited by Tom Karol; 06-08-2021 at 05:57 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Karol View Post
    Well, BDH, the open 4th string(s) on the Mandola is the same as the 5th string 3rd fret on a guitar, but the open 1st string is the same note as the 1st string 5th fret on a guitar. An open C chord (0 0 2 3) is C G E C - 2 octaves in 4 (8) strings instead of 6!
    I could have sworn the range was different -- Mandola Effect?

User Info Menu

Really cool-looking instrument! Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

I bought mine last Friday for the then standard price of $875.
    I went on Eastman's website today merely to verify one of the specs.
    They've raised the price to $1095 less than a week after I bought it!
    Talk about timing - I possibly wouldn't have pulled the trigger at the new price!
    Did Eastman just institute a 25% price increase across-the-board?

Wait - I just checked their website again after entering this post:
    They're not showing prices at all now!

OK, the prices are back up, but it's still $1095 vs $875; will start a new thread.
    Last edited by Tom Karol; 06-10-2021 at 09:40 AM.