The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

Are there any of Barry's hits that don't predictably go up one or two near the end?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

His parents were making out to a song that did just that, coinciding with the moment of conception of Barry. The moral is, be careful what music you use to make love to...

I got to meet him once. (In all honesty, we were just introduced briefly by a mutual party. But he seemed like a really nice down-to-earth guy and actually asked me about what kind of stuff I play. I was sorta starstruck and stuttered.)
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 05-11-2021 at 06:53 PM.

User Info Menu

Mr Modulation

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    Great composer. He wrote some gems. What do you mean "go up one or two"?
    This tune for example, starts and ends in one key, has some really hip harmony but I can't find what you mean by go up one or two. Melodically? Harmonically? Modulation? Dynamics? I'm trying to figure out what you are referring to. Thanks
    Barry Manifold didn't write that song. It was written by David Pomeranz. Starts on a min7th interval melodically.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Barry Manifold didn't write that song. It was written by David Pomeranz. Starts on a min7th interval melodically.
    Thanks sgcim! That's a really good thing to know. Take one great composers' credit from the Manilow column and put it into the Pomeranz column. And all the time I thought it was a Barry.
    Thanks for putting me straight on that. Another one I always attributed to Barry was Weekend in New England, and I just googled it and found out that's by Randy Edelman. Barry, you're losing a lot of compositional cred today!

User Info Menu

I know some people swear by Barry White, but in my neighborhood the main man Barry was Manilow.

All I know is in the mid-late 70's the young girls LOVED Barry Manilow. If you had an 8-track in the car with "Mandy" on it, you were golden.

A little Eagles and Fleetwood Mac was icing on the cake.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    Thanks sgcim! That's a really good thing to know. Take one great composers' credit from the Manilow column and put it into the Pomeranz column. And all the time I thought it was a Barry.
    Thanks for putting me straight on that. Another one I always attributed to Barry was Weekend in New England, and I just googled it and found out that's by Randy Edelman. Barry, you're losing a lot of compositional cred today!
    "Ships" was another Manifold song that I liked that was actually written by Ian Hunter. "Even Now" was another good one that was written by Marty Panzer.
    I used to play in a band with a very good singer who used to sing the schlitz out of Manilow's tunes, so we used to do hip arrangements of every song he put out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    "Ships" was another Manifold song that I liked that was actually written by Ian Hunter. "Even Now" was another good one that was written by Marty Panzer.
    I used to play in a band with a very good singer who used to sing the schlitz out of Manilow's tunes, so we used to do hip arrangements of every song he put out.
    Gotta say, he was savvy enough to pick some good tunes that came his way. I always heard the hip pieces he sang even if his arrangements were shmaltzy. I have a few lists of tunes to work with, things that make nice chord solo arrangements. The Barry Manilow list has some very nice tunes in it. Do them well, and people say "That's a really beautiful song, why does it sound familiar?"

He worked hard to put his career together. I admire the guy. He was Bette Midler's pianist (arranger?) when he started out. Anybody who can stand up and say 'I got my own', gets my respect.

User Info Menu

I'm a fan of Barry Manilow... his album "singing with the big bands' is great. Actually recorded with some of the original big bands (Les Brown was one of them). I like his pop songs too, "Ships" is one of my favourites.