The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 48 of 48

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by starjasmine
    @Kris
    Please take a look at this video and stop feeding us with content about your self made controversy.

This woman is making music!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Y

Marcin: circus act
    Jon: musician

User Info Menu

I can appreciate that Jon Gomm song. How many strings do you think he's broken practicing that lol!

User Info Menu

I am not sure I understand neither posts on Antoine Boyer (I mean my English).

For me the two guys are the antithesis to each other in point of music. Shallow vs musical, harsh vs detailed, rebel vs inventor. The result is talking itself: the shallow one gets 10x or more attraction, despite Boyer has more than 10 years presence.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor
    I am not sure I understand neither posts on Antoine Boyer (I mean my English).

For me the two guys are the antithesis to each other in point of music. Shallow vs musical, harsh vs detailed, rebel vs inventor. The result is talking itself: the shallow one gets 10x or more attraction, despite Boyer has more than 10 years presence.

Or maybe ... just maybe .... your perception of shallow is wrong?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Let me refrase it then:
    Are we sure that denying young musicians the right to just hammer home one argument without nuance is a good idea?

It's about finding yourself and going to the extreme being it unabashed shred or overblown anger is part of that process.

Antoine Boyer is excellent at playing in a style that appeases boomers

Marcin attempts to conquer the world.

One has 19.000 subscribers on youtube and the other has 460.000 subscribers.

But sure .. Seen thru the glasses of jg.be esthetics Antoine >>>>>>>>>> Marcin

It's going to be very interesting comparing those two in 5-10 years time

Marcin has ambition, which isn't necessarily a bad thing
    what I got from this post is that I am a Boomer now.

Ah, well time to embrace it. I’ll start posting minion memes and complaining about modern music. And posting photographs of my guitar collection of course (well I would if it wasn’t crap.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Or maybe ... just maybe .... your perception of shallow is wrong?
    you are right, individual perceptions are differerent, interestingly that is the reason I would not categorize a perception wrong or right. I started the sentece with "For me..." so it is not intended as general truth. I also could agree changing the word shallow to mechanic, then we got the mechanic vs musical, harsh vs detailed, rebel vs inventor.

User Info Menu

I would say the fashion for many young touch style players has moved away from distorted tapping and more towards these kinds of pianistic soundscape things, which is nice. I think Yvette Young has a really nice tone.

I dig her pink sparkle Ibanez Talman!

That was really cool. And reminded me of how Eric Johnson developed a technique to make a guitar sound like a Kyoto. Anything other than "straight" guitar playing (which includes tapping of ANY kind, no matter how old it is), always gets hated on by a large number of people. And I agree with the opinion above somewhere that tapping (and this other stuff) can be very musical when used sparingly, like a spice in a good food... but when you empty a bottle of hot sauce into a delicious dish, all you get is very spicy solid matter, not delicious food.

Which also brings to mind effects- effects, used sparingly, can be cool. But IMO, as cool as Bill Frissel CAN be, when he goes off on his pedalboard-loaded creations, while they can be cool "soundscapes", I'm not really a fan of them, as "music". As a "song". There's nothing wrong with soundscapes- I love them actually, but I don't think of them as "regular music", if that makes any sense. When You start using a looper and 3 delays + a fuzz, I think you are leaving the world of melodic music and entering the world of soundscapes. Bill's album, "Solos" in no way represents jazz or melodic music to me. I like it, but I think of it in a different category all together.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel_A
    @Kris
    Please take a look at this video and stop feeding us with content about your self made controversy.

This woman is making music!
    I will answer funny:
    Music is everywhere.
    Even in the circus ... I saw it on TV.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel_A
    Marcin: circus act
    Jon: musician
    You have your tags and you put whatever you want in them.
    I understand that.
    For me, music has a much larger dimension, which does not mean that I have no musical taste.
    Maybe someday there will come a good time that you will be more open to 'circus acts'.
    I have no such problem.

User Info Menu

Marcin Patrzalek Live concert. Keep it secret

User Info Menu

what I got from this post is that I am a Boomer now.

Ah, well time to embrace it. I’ll start posting minion memes and complaining about modern music. And posting photographs of my guitar collection of course (well I would if it wasn’t crap.)

Nah you know bloody well that my statement isn't aimed at you personally, but at the general tendency in this forum to hate on the young

But yeah ... the young do make interesting music too

In other news, I just realised I didn’t dream this

Ariana Grande has been covering this tune for a while.

I think everyone was in lockdown with too much time to shed lol

User Info Menu

Thundercat rules.

As for the tapping thing, I found the Yvette Young video quite compelling. It's musically interesting first, she's not making the video to show you how difficult it is. Around 2 minutes in it settles into this kind of indie rock sounding thing, I could hear it with drums easily, it's not just some guitar player music, it's music.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Thundercat rules.

As for the tapping thing, I found the Yvette Young video quite compelling. It's musically interesting first, she's not making the video to show you how difficult it is. Around 2 minutes in it settles into this kind of indie rock sounding thing, I could hear it with drums easily, it's not just some guitar player music, it's music.
    Agreed, I started a deep dive on her and her band, Covet, this morning. All instrumental. They call themselves "indie math rock" lol. But I find it intriguing because I find it so musical. I also found Marcin's cover of Kashmir musical, and compelling. Not all of his stuff is that cool (to me). no denying his talent and yes even creativeness/originality. But Yvette... there's something there. Going to be doing some listening today... I could see myself having her on my iPod, but not Marcin... as much as I appreciate his talent, what he does I can only listen to in small doses. Like Yngwie LOL.

User Info Menu

Not to hijack the thread on Marcin, lol, but for those interested in Yvette, this is a good "starter video", she talks about how she got started on guitar (she is a classically trained pianist and violinist) DWEEZIL ZAPPA interviews

User Info Menu

It's easy to talk, it's easy to write, it's harder to play.
    It is very good that new guitarists are innovating.
    As you can see, there are not so many of them compared to "standard" players.
    Regarding where there is more music, less music-this can also be applied to normal guitarists playing known techniques.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Thundercat rules.

Thats what I dig about her. Maybe because she started (burnt out) on classical piano... but she thinks about he music and the technique is just what she uses to execute it, and she’s building this all around the writing. It’s more my kind of thing ultimately than the guitar-for-guitar’s-sake stuff although that can certainly be fun and impressive.

User Info Menu

Oh this is quite wonderful as well

User Info Menu

It seems that if I hadn't put a thread about Marcin there wouldn't be this topic on JGF.
    Good too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    It seems that if I hadn't put a thread about Marcin there wouldn't be this topic on JGF.
    Good too.
    I love it! Broadening horizons!

User Info Menu

Here's something you jazzers will "appreciate"... Yvette plays .013's! lol

User Info Menu

Oh this is quite wonderful as well
    This is really nice ... it exemplifies the "less is more" effect. Starting with just nice clean, musical playing.

Except for the production values, where clearly a little more is a little more :-)

Perhaps he is mixing the room mic with mag pickup output, and using the same hall reverb on both... it fattens up the tone of his tapped axe a bit and gives the percussive stuff a really nice bed to sit in ... plus, that orange stompbox - whatever it is - is also pretty cool:-)

(EDIT: It's a Meris Enzo programmable synth. About $250 new.)

Love this lively discussion and all the clips ... JGBE posters always turn me on to such great players I might never have seen otherwise. Thanks, everybody!

User Info Menu