The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 167

User Info Menu

OK, ran across this young fella today on YouTube, performing basically almost all of the parts of "Kashmir" on solo acoustic guitar. Searching the forum didn't come up with any posts about him, which surprises me. It's hard to tell from looking whether there overdubs, it doesn't appear so but there seems to be more sound coming at the listener that is possible to produce with six strings and a wooden body. Then I watched some of his other videos. I find the 80s MTV production values of the videos a little offputting, I have to admit. Makes Pasquale Grasso look sedate (but I think there is no improvisation here)- sort of Paco de Lucia meets Eddy Van Halen and they hang out at Andrew York's.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Weirdly fascinating. And your are right, quite frightening.

User Info Menu

I wrote about Marcin Patrzalek about a year ago.
    Participant of many Talent Show competitions.

User Info Menu

Teenage YouTube virtuosos come and go.

User Info Menu

This stuff no longer surprises me. I’m on Instagram haha.

User Info Menu

Its probably just me, but as soon as I see someone play the guitar "that way", I instantly say to myself, "wow, cool!" Then, I stop the video about 6.5 seconds in. I shouldn't be that way, because anything that might bring attention to the guitar is a good thing. I just don't care for it.

User Info Menu

OK.
    He is very talented.
    He chose this way of presenting himself.
    He became the star of the Talent Show and earns money.
    and...I think he plays for girls.

User Info Menu

Oh I’m a total old curmugeon about it; just play the guitar normally bah humbug

and then along comes Mancuso: ‘why are you using a plectrum bro? Just fingerpick everything like a normal guitarist!’

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ScottM
    Its probably just me, but as soon as I see someone play the guitar "that way", I instantly say to myself, "wow, cool!" Then, I stop the video about 6.5 seconds in. I shouldn't be that way, because anything that might bring attention to the guitar is a good thing. I just don't care for it.
    You know, I'm the same way and also feel guilty about it! Why am I not interested to listen to solo guitar like that, where people obviously put a lot of practice and dedication into? But... besides 'wow' effect I feel nothing Are there people who listen to music like that, I mean really listen, not just watching?

User Info Menu

I think he uses the internet to promote his name. It all looks very artificial.
    We live in strange times but we also use the internet.
    If he hadn't played this way at shows, we wouldn't have talked about him.
    I'm not passionate about Talent Shows but I know it's a business.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    Maybe, but I have been SHOCKED at the talent level of KIDS... that I have never heard of, and may never hear of again... to have that kind of talent, and not do (or not be able to? It's still a business...) anything with it (meaning make a living), boggles the mind.

In general, I am not into the "CandyRat" artists (this is the label that had all the "acoustic tappers" in the beginning). Something about the style... annoys me. BUT RECENTLY, I've seen people that are really impressive, and I ENJOY it- the kid in this thread is one of them. Here's another, she's not a "tapper", more just a finger stylist, but her arranging talents (as well as playing talents) are quite impressive.

User Info Menu

I like those moments when the guitarist looks at the web- camera and smiles.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    ...I think he plays for girls.

Beats playing for dusty boomers that will accuse him of too much technique and no musicality

User Info Menu

I watched the Beethoven clip last night on headphones and was hearing some monumental lows that are definitely missing today on my ancient IMac. There's a pickup there and perhaps a separate send to some kind of octave device. It's worth noting that Beethoven called the guitar 'the perfect musical instrument" or words to that effect. I liked the performance very much. the young man has talent, and is not hiding his lamp under a bushel. I say more power to him. I think his arrangement of the 1st mvt of the 5th is daring and legit. I tip my best Panama to him.
    Last edited by citizenk74; 04-01-2021 at 01:15 PM.

User Info Menu

I was doing it for the girls too. Quite unsuccessfully I might add. So it is the finger picking that does it. Got it.

User Info Menu

These young and attractive people, strangely enough, play songs made years before they were born, songs that people in late middle age enjoy.

User Info Menu

These young and attractive people, strangely enough, play songs made years before they were born, songs that people in late middle age enjoy.
    Led Zep is timeless. That other stuff? Meh...

User Info Menu

I like those moments when the guitarist looks at the web- camera and smiles.
    I think you'll like this wonder kid

User Info Menu

it does seem that way. I find myself wondering whether precocious virtuosity is more widely spread throughout the population than was perhaps previously known. Maybe there've always been a lot of these people and they just existed in obscurity somewhere for whatever reason, but easy access to self-promotion via YouTube, Instagram, etc., has allowed them to become visible even if only briefly.

User Info Menu

I generally find the "smack an acoustic guitar around" music excruciating, but he's got a spirit i dig.

I pretty much hate "guitar player music" so thats saying something.

User Info Menu

Marcin is one of a kind, he usually plays solo acoustic guitar, which I appreciate very much.

User Info Menu

Marcin is one of a kind, he usually plays solo acoustic guitar, which I appreciate very much.

He does seem great and his arrangements are very cool ... Also getting noticed playing solo guitar ... Not many have actually managed to pull that off .. That in it self is absurdly impressive!

User Info Menu

Trouble is, once you've seen it (after about 30 secs)...... you've seen it.

What else can he do?

User Info Menu

Marcin has his fans and opponents.
    I think he has a lot of fans.
    Millions of fans .... for them these 30 seconds is definitely not enough.

User Info Menu

39 736 435 views: