The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Posts 151 to 167 of 167

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    Haven't you heard? Making everything controversial is the new hobby. Because everybody has to have a problem with everything. Complaint and outrage is the new virtue signaling. If you're not bitchin' about something, you aren't "woke" enough.
    I have been observing this phenomenon for a long time.
    But it's growing fast.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor
    I really respect hard work, and talent, but I can't help imagining, John Cleese doing this as a Monty Python sketch, in that context this would be really a classic :-)
    One question - very difficult:
    Do you listen to music or do you watch music?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Really? .. That is actually quite unusual .. I spent a lot of time ghosting Mark Knopfler around 15-16 .. Then did that same with Andy Summers a year later

Sure there where other players ... You know the usual suspects .. but those two just stood out in a massive way.

Don't most teens have heroes they emulate?
    Not really in my case. I liked certain players, but there was a whole slew of them.

I'm not saying it's good thing necessarily

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    TBH if there are visuals I reckon EVERYONE listens with their eyes.

Not everyone admits it or is aware of it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Not really in my case. I liked certain players, but there was a whole slew of them.

I'm not saying it's good thing necessarily
    Ok.
    But what about Django style...?
    Gypsy Jazz musicians use the Django language.
    I think they are copying the master's licks ...?

User Info Menu

Ok.
    But what about Django style...?
    Gypsy Jazz musicians use the Django language.
    I think they are copying the master's licks ...?
    I mean to I don't think it's necessarily a good thing NOT to copy players...

I spent some time copying Django and learning those licks. But I was in my thirties lol. So I ended up doing it later rather than sooner.

But, more than one way of doing things.

User Info Menu

what about Cds?
    Musicians like to look at the covers ...I know it.

User Info Menu

what about Cds?
    Musicians like to look at the covers ...I know it.
    Of course!

What are CDs? :-)

User Info Menu

I do admit. It is scary btw. On classical concerts I used to do the experiment, if I think this is a really deeep and meeaningful perfrmance, I close my eyes to prevent seeing the conductor or violinist. The majority in cases, then I hear less... So I know I should listen music with closed eyes, which unfortunately impossible for me because I fall sleep within 5 minutes, which is kinda embarrassing :-)

User Info Menu

I was playing with a blind musician who heard and played much better than other musicians.

User Info Menu

As Christian wrote: watch.
    If we would not, there would not make sense the performer look to the audience meaningfully when an "interesting" note plays.

However this does not prevent me to listen carefully. Please listen the F blues videos. Maybe it is the soundcard sync, but there is absolutely no groove. Good student, excellent technique, no more no less, and most importantly no music.

User Info Menu

Kudos to the OP, by the way You post something, all enthused, then others (self included) start picking holes in it, so you let it go and carry on enjoying it just the same.

User Info Menu

I do admit. It is scary btw. On classical concerts I used to do the experiment, if I think this is a really deeep and meeaningful perfrmance, I close my eyes to prevent seeing the conductor or violinist. The majority in cases, then I hear less... So I know I should listen music with closed eyes, which unfortunately impossible for me because I fall sleep within 5 minutes, which is kinda embarrassing :-)
    Wasn't there an experiment where researchers would play play first video without sound from classical competitions for audiences and then sound without video.

The audiences where much better at pointing out who actually won the competition from the soundless video then from just the music.

User Info Menu

Maybe someone will be interested:

User Info Menu

I really respect hard work, and talent, but I can't help imagining, John Cleese doing this as a Monty Python sketch, in that context this would be really a classic :-)
    It is really hard to take seriously, man what a funny guitar-player. He outplays me in pretty much every way, but what's with the look/glasses/hair?

I have read in psychology studies that that musicians who exhibit enhanced body movements are thought to be better musicians by average non-trained audience members. In early classic rock stage moves and later videos and image are really a big deal. Anyone ever see Grand Funk Railroad? Mark Farner really put out the moves more than the licks!!! But so did many top groups. I liked watching EWF or TOP for advanced R and B with cool moves. Well they call it Show Business !!! Chick Corea and John Scofield did not stand like statues either. Good music seems to force our bodies into some movement I find. Monk almost backwards spells know .And he really moved!!!

User Info Menu

I like to look at the master Jaco Pastorius: