The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 167

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    No, this one is not circus at all. I enjoyed this one a lot. I'm sorry but they are not all the same, you can't lump them all together. It is a different vibe.
    Sorry I've never been in the circus.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Sorry I've never been in the circus.
    LOL I see, tough childhood.

Well you know what I mean, they all sound different even if using the same unorthodox technique. While one sounds over the top and showoffy, another is musical and more insightful. To my ears anyway. But I did go to circus quite a lot, it maybe affected my brains

User Info Menu

An interesting test...

I listened to the first Marcin video (Alors Dance) and then the Lucas Imbiriba video back to back, without watching the videos. Just listening.

I found the Imbiriba totally compelling and enjoyable to listen to.

I found myself focusing a lot more on the tinniness and hashness of the steel strings while listening to Marcin. I also found the music less interesting. I didn't find it all that enjoyable, really.

So what's going on here?

User Info Menu

Each of us knows what's going on.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    An interesting test...

I listened to the first Marcin video (Alors Dance) and then the Lucas Imbiriba video back to back, without watching the videos. Just listening.

I found myself focusing a lot more on the tinniness and hashness of the steel strings while listening to Marcin. I also found the music less interesting. I didn't find it all that enjoyable, really.

So what's going on here?
    That's what I was saying exactly. I dont know what's going on... Have you ever been to circus?

User Info Menu

Maybe I'm wrong: I associate the Circus with shows of talented people who do something amazing.

User Info Menu

I've been to the circus. I've hung out backstage with the clowns. They party hard. Tapping on a guitar is OK with me if it gets you off.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    An interesting test...

So what's going on here?

I had the same reaction. Some virtuosos don’t move me; some do. And you don’t need to be a virtuoso either; some players with modest physical skills can play amazingly moving music. It’s a really interesting phenomenon.

User Info Menu

It sounds like a rhythm piece that happens to have some kind of a melody(sometimes?) rather than a song that happens to have percussion. Some parts were nice like the harmonics towards the end.

He reminds me of a Candyrat kind of player. I do like some Candyrat Records guys like Antoine Dufour. This kind of approach to acoustic guitar I find more pleasant to listen to.

User Info Menu

You can also say that this performance is boring. I listened once and that's enough.
    But what for? ...? Some people love it, others don't.
    Everyone hears differently and has different sensitivity.
    I rate Marcin very positively in the phenomenon category - he is undoubtedly a talented man.
    It is also a product of the times we live in.I wrote about it before
    Music is everywhere.

User Info Menu

Just googled Candyrat. Learn something new everyday, with a little help from my friends.

User Info Menu

British guitarist analyses. I recommend!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    I've been to the circus. I've hung out backstage with the clowns. They party hard. Tapping on a guitar is OK with me if it gets you off.
    Circuses can be very creative.

User Info Menu

Only 30 sec:

User Info Menu

Circus can be a legitimate art form. And in any case, it’s not like I’m any kind of boss of what’s art and what isn’t.

I like what I like and generally ignore what doesn’t grab me. I try not to be too closed off, I don’t want to ignore other people’s opinions or tastes, but otoh life is short. And as unfashionable as it is to say part of being a musican etc is negative, ignoring things as it is positive, paying attention to things.

I try to respect creators even if I’m not interested in what they do.

Lastly I’m trying to wean myself of this tiresome tendency to explain why I like things etc. It’s always an avoidance strategy from doing any bloody work. OTOH it’s hard!

User Info Menu

I really appreciate Christian's comments and opinions.
    A comment from London/city of art and creativity/ makes me feel better.
    Thanks
    Last edited by kris; 04-09-2021 at 07:03 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Circus can be a legitimate art form. And in any case, it’s not like I’m any kind of boss of what’s art and what isn’t.
    I feel the same way. I don't mean to disqualify this Marcin guy buy calling him a circus act. IMHO he's a circis act because he does not make music that moves me. I don't enjoy listening to him. I enjoy looking at him and be amazed about all the nifty shit the guy can pull off. The same way i admire athletes who do difficult stuff. Or a soccerplayer who handles a ball in a way that is nearly impossible.

Playing the 9th of Beethoven on a guitar does not in any way sound good. If you do like it because of the music . . . . well, we have different taste. The same with Led Zep tune. Impressive, but not nice to listen to.

To be short: he's a circus act.

User Info Menu

To be a very short:
    I know the song 'Life is a circus'.

User Info Menu

That reminds me of an incident at one of the early JATP tours which featured both Lester Young and Sonny Stitt. One day on the tour bus, Stitt - who was very competitive - walked up and down the aisle, playing his horn as fast and furious as he could while most of the others - Lester included - in vain tried to have a nap. When Stitt passed Lester, he asked: "How about that?". Lester lifted his pork pie hat two inches from his eyes and said: "Yes, very nice, Lady Stitt. But can you sing me a song?".

Another story from another JATP tour is about Lester and Oscar Peterson who accompanied him. During his piano solo in a ballad, Peterson got really taken by the music and made all kinds of inversions, substitutions, double tempos and embellishments. When it was about time for Lester to come back in, he crabbed slowly over to the Peterson - forgetting the mike above the piano - and asked: "Hey, Lady P., where are you motherf****s at?". The whole concert hall heard it loud and clear and everybody cracked up. Norman Granz, however, didn't like such foul language, especially not on stage, and had Lester stay for a little correctional talk after the concert.
    Last edited by oldane; 04-09-2021 at 07:35 AM.

User Info Menu

I really like the piano scene from this movie:

User Info Menu

"Dancers in Love" played by Duke Ellington goes to show what counts. The whole piece is over in less than two minutes, but nevertheless, it is a masterpiece of elegance, coherence, restraint, underplayed humor and impeccable taste. It can make a dead man wiggle his toe.

User Info Menu

The trouble with virtuosity is that is so singular. I have just watched the McLaughlin, DeFrancesco, Jones gig that guido5 posted on the listening thread. Experiencing musicians interacting on stage is so much more satisfying than marvelling at the skills of one man in his room.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    The trouble with virtuosity is that is so singular. I have just watched the McLaughlin, DeFrancesco, Jones gig that guido5 posted on the listening thread. Experiencing musicians interacting on stage is so much more satisfying than marvelling at the skills of one man in his room.
    You don't like it, don't watch. Why these comments ...?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel_A
    I feel the same way. I don't mean to disqualify this Marcin guy buy calling him a circus act. IMHO he's a circis act because he does not make music that moves me. I don't enjoy listening to him. I enjoy looking at him and be amazed about all the nifty shit the guy can pull off. The same way i admire athletes who do difficult stuff. Or a soccerplayer who handles a ball in a way that is nearly impossible.

Playing the 9th of Beethoven on a guitar does not in any way sound good. If you do like it because of the music . . . . well, we have different taste. The same with Led Zep tune. Impressive, but not nice to listen to.

To be short: he's a circus act.
    Comparing an 18-year-old boy to the power of Beethoven's work is a misunderstanding.
    As for Led Zep.tune, I'd rather hear the opinion of the musicians from this band.

User Info Menu

When we're practicing our instruments, we're working on a very different set of skills. We learn how to swing, how to improvise, and most importantly how to communicate with other guys in the ensemble setting. This is all very important for jazz, or a rock player. The solo acoustic players like Marcin take the guitar in totally different direction. They dont need those skills, so the showmanship is the ultimate goal.

I can still learn a thing or two from them, but in general this kind of playing is in a parallel world, and like Christian said, life is too short and you need to filter things out.

One thing though, as a teacher I have to deal with it because some kids are into it, and I do need to teach them the basics. I transcribed a few arrangements of Sungha Jung, the original Youtube guitar child sensation. It works, but I do my best not to take anyone that direction unless they persist.