The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 167

User Info Menu

You have two approaches to growing old .. Either you can find joy in the upcoming youth or you can hate them for reminding you that your time is coming to a close.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The concern is that the history of music- especially classical music and over-marketed teen pop stars- is littered with the burned-out shells of child prodigies. To be so intensely focused on something like this so young, which is necessary to achieve this sort of technique, must throw one's life out of balance. What about friends? Dating? General education? Family life? Marcin looks like he enjoys playing, but there must be a lot of hours of solitude every week practicing technique, developing arrangements, etc. Maybe he digs that.

Also, what kind of unobtanium nails does he have that would withstand this? My nails wouldn't make it through the first eight bars!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    The concern is that the history of music- especially classical music and over-marketed teen pop stars- is littered with the burned-out shells of child prodigies. To be so intensely focused on something like this so young, which is necessary to achieve this sort of technique, must throw one's life out of balance. What about friends? Dating? General education? Family life? Marcin looks like he enjoys playing, but there must be a lot of hours of solitude every week practicing technique, developing arrangements, etc. Maybe he digs that.

Also, what kind of unobtanium nails does he have that would withstand this? My nails wouldn't make it through the first eight bars!
    Whatever happened to Sungha Jung?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    You have two approaches to growing old .. Either you can find joy in the upcoming youth or you can hate them for reminding you that your time is coming to a close.
    I let Tommy Emanuel worry about this one

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

That's what talent is all about.

User Info Menu

Awesome! I mean, totally awesome, totally!

User Info Menu

This thread has generated a good deal of interest and positive comments from posters whose opinions I have come to respect over the years. So.... I watched the instagram clip to get the real, bare live sound, sans post-production of any kind. He's very fleet-fingered and extremely well coordinated (great perscussionist!) but tapping on an acoustic can result in weird, squeaky harmonics and a rather unpalatable sound to my ears. In another clip it seems pretty obvious the accent here is on the spectacle rather than the actual music. So yes, it's kind of circusy, as someone else here ventured. This is just my own, subjective and honest impression, which you may choose to ignore.

User Info Menu

The young man already has worldwide popularity.
    He has been playing the guitar for only 10 years...
    Marcin created his own style in a very short time and I am very curious to see how his career will go.
    "Strange" comments are always there when something new is born.

User Info Menu

If he had come along in the 1970s maybe he would have played with someone like Chick Corea and been a big star. People critical? Weird

Strange world, where the extra ordinary has become ordinary.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    This thread has generated a good deal of interest and positive comments from posters whose opinions I have come to respect over the years. So.... I watched the instagram clip to get the real, bare live sound, sans post-production of any kind. He's very fleet-fingered and extremely well coordinated (great perscussionist!) but tapping on an acoustic can result in weird, squeaky harmonics and a rather unpalatable sound to my ears. In another clip it seems pretty obvious the accent here is on the spectacle rather than the actual music. So yes, it's kind of circusy, as someone else here ventured. This is just my own, subjective and honest impression, which you may choose to ignore.
    One can learn about tapping from this kid. I actually like the technique and use it myself sometimes in the context of comping in jazz, it's a great effect on acoustic or electric, dont matter. Love the percussivness and harmonics!

I do agree about the circusy vibe though. It's not necessarily negative. The kid is a virtuoso, totally. It's all about entertainment. What one does with just acoustic guitar, no singing? You have to generate excitement somehow. He does. Would I go to see him live or buy his music? I dont think so. But if I'm honest, I dont think I would with anyone just playing solo acoustic guitar, I'm not into it.

I dont wanna be THAT guy, but I want to see him in a few years after his Berklee studies. What are they going to teach him? Maybe they will make him a teacher at Berklee instead, because this style is getting popular and he's one of the best at it? I dont think it would be productive to make a jazz or rock player out of him, but who knows!

User Info Menu

Honestly, it bores me after about 30 seconds. I'll acknowledge that he's talented, but all the banging on the guitar and posing is a bit much. More power to him but can that style translate into a lasting career in music? I guess we'll find out.

ps whatever happened to Stanley Jordan?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Honestly, it bores me after about 30 seconds. I'll acknowledge that he's talented, but all the banging on the guitar and posing is a bit much. More power to him but can that style translate into a lasting career in music? I guess we'll find out.

Thats the biggest question. The way I see it millions of views on youtube does translate into career these days. It makes you money. I dont know how much though, but recently I saw another youtuber guitarist who's doing '.... Goes Metal' (mashups memes using videos of mad people), announcing that due to his recent success with it he's becoming a full time youtuber.

So is it possible to have a music career just on youtube?

User Info Menu

It's funny.
    We live in an age where computers and interntet are used by every person, it is not only a means of communication.
    Existing rock stars, pop music, jazz and other styles post their videos on youyube.
    For what purpose?
    More than one person told me: if you want to have your audience, put your videos on youtube!

User Info Menu

Even these symbolic 30 seconds also have their own meaning.
    Stanley Jordan - He plays jazz on the CDs I have.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Even these symbolic 30 seconds also have their own meaning.
    Stanley Jordan - He plays jazz on the CDs I have.

Ah yes ..... Stanley Jordan ... The original circus act ... or is he all about the music??

User Info Menu

Stanley Jordan...he really enjoys the music and evokes emotions.
    The highest level of exploratory guitar playing in the world.
    If someone has associations with the circus, maybe that someone goes to the circus too often.

User Info Menu

Honestly, it bores me after about 30 seconds.
    I could not bring myself to watch any of it.

User Info Menu

Stanley Jordan...he really enjoys the music and evokes emotions.
    I really doubt the first part. It's a gimmick and this guys knows that. It's just something that enables him to make a living out of his guitar. Which is not easy as we all know.
    About the second part: he annoys me.

User Info Menu

I'm quite sure that's what the classical elites said about swing jazz. And what the swing jazzers said about rock and roll. And what the rock and rollers said about metal. And what the metalheads said about grunge. And... and... and....

Elvis... pfft... shaking his hips, how ridiculous.... that's not music!

GET OFF MY LAWN!

User Info Menu

I am sure that when Marcin starts playing concerts, the concert halls will be full of listeners.
    The new generation of his fans is constantly growing.He is very active and he knows exactly what's going on.

User Info Menu

Is such playing a "circus" or pure vrtuozeria?
    For me it is simply music - brilliantly performed.

User Info Menu

Fantastic! I would buy an album of that.

User Info Menu

No, this one is not circus at all. I enjoyed this one a lot. I'm sorry but they are not all the same, you can't lump them all together. It is a different vibe.

User Info Menu