The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Any violin players here? Like I don't have enough to be working on and the hourglass is 2/3 empty but I keep looking at beginner violins and thinking should I, could I...and I know nothing. I have been back to my mandolin for several years and I think the tuning is the same and then there's the bow and that's what scares me. I'm a home player and never intend on ever playing anything out again so everything I do is just to keep learning and my mind working musically.

I know a few folks that own a fiddle and have come to the conclusion that there's only two kinds of fiddle player's...either good or bad.

????

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I play fiddle in a string band. Yes, standard tuning of the violin is the same as the mandolin though fiddlers often play in ADAE or cross tuning AEAE.

Anyone with a good ear and some muscle memory can play in tune on the fretless fingerboard but it's what a fiddler (or violinist I suppose) does with the bow that separates the "good" from the "bad" as you say.

User Info Menu

I’ve been tempted to buy one but instead I think I rent one to see the outcome. Vermont Violin has a nice three month rental on an Eastman VL 200. That way I’ll see if I even jive with the instrument. If only I can get the bow action working. I’m a couch player now days so it’ll give me more to work on and on and on....
    Last edited by BFrench; 03-18-2021 at 03:45 PM. Reason: spelling

User Info Menu

My mother always told me to stay away from sax and violins, and so far so good.

User Info Menu

A few years ago I had a nerve issue in my right hand that made it impossible to play guitar or piano. I reasoned, almost certainly incorrectly, that if I could hold a bow I could play the cello competently, and rented one. I got to the point where I could play a major scale, but my wife and kid were pretty unhappy with the Jack Benny like sounds I was making while getting there. Ultimately surgery solved the nerve issue and the cello went back to the rental shop. I would say that technique and intonation were way more of an issue than getting used to another tuning. I enjoyed the experiment though. Go for it.

User Info Menu

I play bluegrass and Western swing fiddle. Be prepared for a long journey getting the bow hand comfortable. As Itzhak Perlman said “God invented the violin and the Devil invented the bow”.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Petimar
    ... “God invented the violin and the Devil invented the bow”.
    Nah... It just takes time! The advice I was given: sit upright in a chair on your front porch, fiddle in hand, and practice bowing back and forth until the shadow of your bow arm wears a hole in the floor boards.