The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

Those were the days . . . Play live . . .Marinero

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

There you go, cool black folks show them stupid, clumsy white posers how to do it :-)

User Info Menu

Step dancing, a Chicago tradition.

User Info Menu

I always like some good dancing. One of my regrets is that I can't dance. If I were out there on the dance floor, I'd make Elaine look like a good dancer...

All I can say is as a white kid growing up in the suburbs we'd watch Soul Train in amazement. They looked to be having SUCH A GOOD TIME!

User Info Menu

Soul Train was must-watch TV at my house on Saturday afternoons.* I tuned in for the great music - the visuals were a bonus.

* The kids would ask, "Why are you listening to this? This is nothing like what you guys are playing." I would reply, "Just wait ten or fifteen years. Everybody's gonna play like that."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    There you go, cool black folks show them stupid, clumsy white posers how to do it :-)
    Hi, R,
    I grew up in Chicago's NW side during the 50's/60's. There were two groups: Greasers and Doopers. Both were largely White. And, the Greasers, were dancers. Every Friday/Saturday night there were live bands throughout these neighborhoods playing Soul/R&B, and Rock and Roll(Johnny B Goode/Louie Louie/Long Tall Sally, etc,). Some were great dancers. Here's some great info for your entertainment. Also, some 50's/60's dancing. Play live . . . Marinero

White Boys in the Hood: The Chicago Greaser | Chicago Gang ...

www.chicagoganghistory.com › history › white-boys-i...

Chicago Greasers | Lenny's Restaurant Greaser Hangout

gaylords712.com › lennies

https://youtu.be/Rf55gHK48VQ

User Info Menu

Oh man, the Gaylords...back in the day when gangs were kinda fun.

A lot of the guys I grew up with who got mixed up in it are in jail or dead (my neighborhood was Latin King hood)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Oh man, the Gaylords...back in the day when gangs were kinda fun.

A lot of the guys I grew up with who got mixed up in it are in jail or dead (my neighborhood was Latin King hood)
    Hi, B,
    This was also the case with many who who hung around Riis Park and Milwaukee and Devon and got involved with heroin. You certainly remember the colors for the neighborhoods: baggy greys, blues and tans(work pants) worn with Dago T's(white sleeve-less tee shirt) and a black cardigan sweater. And, who can forget the famous Italian knit sweaters! Did I mention Cuban heel shoes?
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Hi, B,
    This was also the case with many who who hung around Riis Park and Milwaukee and Devon and got involved with heroin. You certainly remember the colors for the neighborhoods: baggy greys, blues and tans(work pants) worn with Dago T's(white sleeve-less tee shirt) and a black cardigan sweater. And, who can forget the famous Italian knit sweaters! Did I mention Cuban heel shoes?
    Play live . . . Marinero
    I came up a little later, 80's and 90's...the cool sweaters were gone, it was baseball caps and starter jackets by my time.

User Info Menu

R. Kelly's "Step In The Name of Love" is my favorite of this genre.
    Back when we could play live this was the song that got all of the cool steppers out on the dance floor.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    Back when we could play live this was the song that got all of the cool steppers out on the dance floor.

Wow, G!
    Great video. Brings back a time when people danced to music and musicians brought a vibe to a club that couldn't be replicated by canned music. I miss the old days of R@B/Funk/Soul that was played throughout Chicago in almost all the neighborhood clubs, bars and venues. We are missing this today and I don't know if it ever will return since the generations are so different in their tastes. I always looked forward to a gig since you weren't just playing but were part of the whole scene. Memories . . . !

Scattered pictures
    Of the smiles we left behind
    Smiles we gave to one another
    For the way we were

Thanks for the memories, G! Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Wow, G!
    Great video. Brings back a time when people danced to music and musicians brought a vibe to a club that couldn't be replicated by canned music. I miss the old days of R@B/Funk/Soul that was played throughout Chicago in almost all the neighborhood clubs, bars and venues. We are missing this today and I don't know if it ever will return since the generations are so different in their tastes. I always looked forward to a gig since you weren't just playing but were part of the whole scene. Memories . . . !

Scattered pictures
    Of the smiles we left behind
    Smiles we gave to one another
    For the way we were

Thanks for the memories, G! Play live . . . Marinero
    Amen, brother!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler

I already mentioned this R Kelly story elsewhere. My former BIL—still a good friend who donated a kidney to my daughter—is a journalist in Chicago who covered all the R Kelly trials for the AP.

He got to know Kelly’s attorney pretty well, and, as he lived in the same neighborhood, got invited to a barbecue the attorney was hosting. He went, figuring he might even get a little more inside info on the attorney’s client.

Well about an hour into the dinner guess who showed up with a small entourage? R Kelly came over and talked a bit with his attorney, then, as the sun was setting, started singing a song a capella. My BIL said it was a gospel song, sung with amazing talent and soul. My BIL recorded it, but has never played it to anyone other than family.

That was probably the last public performance ever given by R Kelly as a free man.

User Info Menu

R. Kelly, sack of shit human, made some outstanding music.