The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 112

User Info Menu

Since taking up a Tele a year ago, I've found myself doing more country picking than I normally do. (I lived in Nashville for several years as a kid---it's where I took my first lessons---but I never thought of myself as a country picker. Nonetheless I appreciated hot, clean playing with lots of double stops.) And that has, of late, given way to playing a bit more rockabilly. Don't know how long this will last or where it will go, but for the moment I'm enjoying it.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi, Mark,
    I like it. It's got a good beat and you can dance to it. . . sounds like Dick Clark. However, the tripe by the "Stray Cats" is abominable.
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Rock-a-Billy is a legit genre. Why not enjoy it? Audiences sure do! Vox Populi....

User Info Menu

& don't forget roland janes...who was a session man at sun...played with jerry lee lewis, charlie rich and billy lee riley

cliff gallup who played in the early version of gene vincents blue caps was a great player...highly influential...jeff beck recorded an album in tribute to him...copied his gear as well!

and carl perkins was a fine player as well...

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Hi, Mark,
    I like it. It's got a good beat and you can dance to it. . . sounds like Dick Clark. However, the tripe by the "Stray Cats" is abominable.
    Play live . . . Marinero
    Well I can't really say about the Stray Cats, or what's "authentic," but I kinda dig his big band.

User Info Menu

Gene Vincent and The Blue Caps are a swing band with guitars as far as I'm concerned.

If you like that stuff be sure to check out Danny Gatton. He really put it all together.

User Info Menu

the great master of the telecaster- james burton....burton used his tele on the recording sessions but used promotional ricks and gretsches when filming the nelson tv shows

young james b with ric

cheers

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=neatomic;1087360

cliff gallup who played in the early version of gene vincents blue caps was a great player...highly influential...jeff beck recorded an album in tribute to him...copied his gear as well!

cheers[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Gallup remains a huge influence in the genre. His speedy pull-offs (as in "Race With The Devil" above) are part of the standard vocabulary.

I used to have a lot of Carl Perkins records. "Go, cat, go!"

User Info Menu

Damian Bacci demonstrates the "rockabilly in a box" pedal, the Rumble Seat. It's a 3-in-1 pedal: delay, reverb, and overdrive.

This pedal goes for around $400, so it's out of my range. But Bacci mentions that James Burton uses one.

User Info Menu

More of Elvis, Scotty and Bill at Sun.

User Info Menu

carl p with derek and the dominoes and johnny cash

carl playin super cool micro-frets guitar

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    & don't forget roland janes...who was a session man at sun...played with jerry lee lewis, charlie rich and billy lee riley

cheers
    LOL! Wish I'd known about this song when I had my trio MJ-12.... Woulda been a perfect fit....

User Info Menu

I highly enjoy Rockabilly and Rock 'n' Roll from the 1950s as I hold that style of music in high esteem. The same goes for traditional country music such as Hank Williams Sr and Ernest Tubb. Very fine musicians in those genres and surprisingly I have yet to learn any of those classic tunes which I will now pursue. Speaking of Rockabilly Lenny Breau who most people on this forum will know of his Jazz guitar recordings plays on at least eight songs on the compilation That'll Flat Git It!: Vol.20 - Rockabilly From The Vaults Of Event Records.

User Info Menu

that'll flat get it...great series of rockabilly guitar recordings...one of the early ones-vol 8- has the very earliest teenage james burton recordings..with his band-the shadows...(not hank marvins uk group!)..good stuff

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Hi, Mark,
    Play live . . . Marinero
    There's one in every crowd...

Not only is Mr. Setzer a STELLAR player (yes, even has JAZZ chops), he single-handedly re-ignighted not one, but TWO genres: rockabilly with the Stray Cats, and Big Band Swing (altho a guitar-fronted rocking version) with the Orchestra... he also had a little help from the zeitgeist of that time, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Royal Crown Review, etc. Not liking his contributions is one thing, calling them "tripe" is laughable.

Happy new year sir.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    There's one in every crowd...

Not only is Mr. Setzer a STELLAR player (yes, even has JAZZ chops), he single-handedly re-ignighted not one, but TWO genres: rockabilly with the Stray Cats, and Big Band Swing (altho a guitar-fronted rocking version) with the Orchestra... he also had a little help from the zeitgeist of that time, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Royal Crown Review, etc. Not liking his contributions is one thing, calling them "tripe" is laughable.

Happy new year sir.
    Calling the stay cats rockabilly is laughable to me. As is your definition of singlehandedly.

Elvis on velvet

Rockabilly PSA:
    Turn your reverb off and your echo up.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Damian Bacci demonstrates the "rockabilly in a box" pedal, the Rumble Seat. It's a 3-in-1 pedal: delay, reverb, and overdrive.

This pedal goes for around $400, so it's out of my range. But Bacci mentions that James Burton uses one.

Do not buy this.
    Ugh nothing rockabilly about it. The drive channel is replicating a 69 Marshall plexi. What? Why?
    There is reverb. Why? Reverb wasn't on any amps in the 50s.
    Just buy any analogue delay pedal and be done with it. Lots of guys over the years have used the danecho pedal.

Just plug into a tube amp. Most of the guitarist at the time had a clean sound.

I'm only the minutes into this video...

User Info Menu

The reverb emulates a blackface amp reverb? Not even a room reverb like what might have been on a recording. And it has a shimmer modulation. Ugh
    Last edited by Littlemark; 01-01-2021 at 07:58 PM.

User Info Menu

Good call on Rockabilly, Mark. Played in a few rockabilly bands in my time. I think that whole scene is even more tunnel-visioned that other genres insofar as authenticity is concerned. We lost a few gigs because we didn't have the right jeans, boots, and full-sleeve tattoos. I love that early Carl Perkins and Scotty Moore sound and Luther Perkins, too. Love a lot of what Brian Setzer did, too - he's notched up a few superb solos in his time and did a lot to rejuvenate the genre back in the day. I enjoy Jeff Beck's rockabilly album and the Danny Gatton live CD with Robert Gordon remain a favourite.

There's some great music out there where country and rock'n'roll and jazz all meet.

Derek

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Littlemark
    Calling the stay cats rockabilly is laughable to me. As is your definition of singlehandedly.

Elvis on velvet

Rockabilly PSA:
    Turn your reverb off and your echo up.
    That's OK, your incorrect option on the subject is laughable to me, so we're even. Like I said- it's OK if you DON'T LIKE something, but to argue against a objective truth is a losing battle... Without the Stray Cats, there would have been no rockabilly revival at all.

Saying The Stray Cats weren't rockabilly is like saying Stevie Ray Vaughan wasn't blues, because he wasn't Albert King... but then... that's another opinion I suspect you would hold, so...

User Info Menu

Along with a few other genres I could mention, I just wanted to remind the good folks here that there would be no Rockabilly without Charlie Christian.

There, I said it.

User Info Menu

Thoughts On Rockabilly... Coming up I've listened to artist that were labeled rockabilly, some I liked, some I didn't care for but then that's the same likes or dislikes of artist labeled to any genre. Some artist labeled as greats to certain genres I'll say 5 seconds of listening to them is 5 seconds too much for my particular likes, doesn't mean I don't care for the genre. Then there are artist who don't care to label what they're doing to any specific genre. What I like the next person hates and vice-versa

User Info Menu

The people who are credited for "inventing" rockabilly.... Elvis/Scotty Moore, Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins, etc... have said they never called it "rockabilly", it was always "rock and roll" to them. I'm not sure when the "rockabilly" moniker took hold for the genre, as the originators did not call it that...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Littlemark
    Do not buy this.
    Ugh nothing rockabilly about it. The drive channel is replicating a 69 Marshall plexi. What? Why?
    There is reverb. Why? Reverb wasn't on any amps in the 50s.
    Just buy any analogue delay pedal and be done with it. Lots of guys over the years have used the danecho pedal.

Just plug into a tube amp. Most of the guitarist at the time had a clean sound.

I'm only the minutes into this video...
    I wasn't planning on buying this but I think your assessment is harsh.
    James Burton thinks it's worth trying out, and he made lots of records in the '50s. (And in the '60s and the '70s...)

If all one wants is some slap back echo, any decent delay pedal will give you a workable one. (Of course, since no one in the '50s used a delay pedal, I'm a bit surprised--though pleased--you're okay with them now. You seem strict about period authenticity.)

As for reverb, it wasn't on amps until the late '50s but it was used in studios from the late '40s on. And for most of us who are too young to have heard rockabilly played live when it was new, we heard records and those records were made in studios where sound could be manipulated by engineers. Sam Philips had an Ampex tape machine and that's how he created slapback echo in his Memphis studio.
    Chet Atkins bought the second EchoSonic amp made and used it on "Mr. Sandman" in 1954. (The EchoSonic had a built-in tape delay.) I think that's where Scotty Moore heard it and he got one too. He used it on "Mystery Train" and many other recordings with Elvis at Sun.
    Les Paul's experiments with tape and recording had been going on for some years already.

I think the EchoPlex was developed in 1959. It had a huge impact over the following decades.
    As with much musical technology, it put into the hands of the multitude sounds that were once attainable only in some studios.

I don't think many bands (if any) who play some rockabilly (or rockabilly-influenced) music are trying to sound just like 1954. For one thing, you can barely hear the bass on many of those old records and the drums are thin. The guitar parts can be tricky to suss out because they're not as clear in the mix as we've since come to expect solos to be.