The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 52

User Info Menu

A little sneak peek. Looks like fun to me.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

cool!

User Info Menu

fab

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting!
    Great reminder of just how good those guys were, what a tight band!

User Info Menu

I admit I can't get enough of the Beatles. I particularly like their middle period, when they were finding their way in the studio and as songwriters--Revolver and Rubber Soul. But they're all good.

The interesting thing is how strongly shared that sentiment is among my family. Without my urging, my kids are all Beatles fanatics. My ex-BIL is a Beatles obsessive and wrote a forward to one of their big coffee-table books. My fiancee's BIL plays gigs featuring songs from the British Invasion (before 1965), about 2/3 of which are Beatles songs.

And the 2 remaining Beatles have music coming out this month. (I heard Ringo's new song yesterday, and TBH it didn't overwhelm me, but it didn't totally suck, either.)

User Info Menu

If there’s one thing in the world I don’t need to hear another word about, it’s The Beatles.

I think the continuing obsession (even among people born after the group dissolved) with a moderately talented and highly derivative English band that lasted around a decade and probably only had something mildly original and minimally valuable to say for maybe 2 years at most is an indication of the artistic and musical wasteland that was the ensuing half decade of popular “music” from 1970-2020.

A 20-something today excited about the Beatles is analogous to me, as a 20-year-old in 1980, being obsessed with The Paul Whiteman Orchestra.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BickertRules

I think the continuing obsession (even among people born after the group dissolved) with a moderately talented and highly derivative English band that lasted around a decade and probably only had something mildly original and minimally valuable to say for maybe 2 years at most is an indication of the artistic and musical wasteland that was the ensuing half decade of popular “music” from 1970-2020.

A 20-something today excited about the Beatles is analogous to me, as a 20-year-old in 1980, being obsessed with The Paul Whiteman Orchestra.
    funny thoughts for someone with a bickert rules handle....hah

i'd imagine you meant half century...1970-2020...bickerts era...

yea it all stank...50 years of wasteland

c'mon man...

cheers

User Info Menu

Yea, sure, the Beatles meant nothing.
    Right.
    Seriously can’t you find something with more class and intelligence to start a troll war?
    Go.
    Go away. Go Now, you disgrace to Mr Bickert.
    Wait! You can join Marinero! Perfect together!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    funny thoughts for someone with a bickert rules handle....hah

i'd imagine you meant half century...1970-2020...bickerts era...

yea it all stank...50 years of wasteland

c'mon man...

cheers
    There IS good music from the past 50 years, just not good POPULAR music. I don’t consider Bickert or pretty much any non-vocal jazz from the last 50 years to be “popular”, other than swing LARPers like Harry Connick, Diana Krall, and Michael Buble in a very peripheral way - a tiny sliver of the general public even like that.

The average music consumer - not the members here, we’re outliers - has very little to point to in the past half-century that is not even worse - mostly much worse, considering hip-hop, than The Beatles - I think that is a large part of their continuing allure - what really has happened in Pop since then - maybe Michael Jackson? and then??

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    Right.
    Seriously can’t you find something with more class and intelligence to start a troll war?
    Go.
    haha - nice I like it.

No, The Beatles didn’t mean “nothing” - they were probably the last popular music that meant anything at all - that’s why we, from geezer boomers down to teenagers, for God’s sake, are still stuck on them. Can you imagine being a teenager in 1980 (I was) and waiting with anticipation for the next movie or book about Benny Goodman?!

User Info Menu

Oh please. This forum has no limit on people who argue the most ridiculous points.
    I accede to your far greater musical knowledge than mine.
    No room for me here. Bye.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    Right.
    Go.

I kinda agree with Mr Bickert .. Believe it or not :-O

I guess it is a Gen-X thing .. after being forced to Beatles 24/7/365 by our parent the thought of more Beatles triggers our PSTD

I mean don't get me wrong .. They where great and of utmost importance (as Mr. Bickert also signals) .. But the thought of having to sit thru more footage of their antics makes me nauseous

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    I kinda agree with Mr Bickert .. Believe it or not :-O

I guess it is a Gen-X thing .. after being forced to Beatles 24/7/365 by our parent the thought of more Beatles triggers our PSTD
    I was a Gen-Xer, too, in a perhaps less common environment than my cohort.

My parents were Southerners from the tail end of the greatest generation. They loved Elvis and Fats Domino and Little Richard, but they had no time for The Beatles at all when they came along. Born in 1962, I never really heard The Beatles much until they were no longer together.

What my parents did watch was 1960s/’70s TV variety shows, so what I saw as a child was the tail-end of the Dean Martin, Sinatra, Fred Astaire generation, and later when I heard The Beatles and other contemporaries, they sounded amateurish in comparison.

I didn’t get force-fed the Fab Four by my parents, but the culture kept telling me they were the pinnacle, I just couldn’t buy it. Of course, as a working guitarist, I learned all the songs and all the guitar parts and lyrics and vocal harmonies - but the memory of those great ‘30s-‘50s pop singers and a growing knowledge of instrumental jazz and classical music shielded me from The Beatles mythologizing.
    Last edited by BickertRules; 12-22-2020 at 07:32 AM.

haha - nice I like it.

No, The Beatles didn’t mean “nothing” - they were probably the last popular music that meant anything at all - that’s why we, from geezer boomers down to teenagers, for God’s sake, are still stuck on them. Can you imagine being a teenager in 1980 (I was) and waiting with anticipation for the next movie or book about Benny Goodman?!
    I sort of have a connection to The Beatles. I was on a tour bus and suddenly we notice we are being tormented by fleas! Yuck! We had to pull over at a truck stop and get the bus fumigated! Pronto! We asked the driver who the hell had just been in this bus? It was the Julian Lennon Band and they had brought their pets and left a flea infestation! I guess those fleas thought they had A TICKET TO RIDE!!!

User Info Menu

It is the Bizarro Let it Be. Happy Beatles, playing and larking, having fun. Even Yoko Ono is nice.

It will be insufferable. Peter Jackson does not do nuance.

User Info Menu

I learned all the songs and all the (overrated) guitar parts and lyrics and vocal harmonies - but the memory of those great ‘30s-‘50s pop singers and a growing knowledge of instrumental jazz and classical music shielded me from The Beatles mythologizing.
    Ah .. That is not where I'm coming from tho. What they may have lacked in musical ability they more than made up with they ability to connect with people in a previously unseen manner. Also they definately pushed the envelope with regards to production and presentation.

I have no intend of taking away from the Beatles accomplishes or similar. But as with is in all artists .. They tend to be rooted in their zeitgeist and when when I came of age that was long gone (and John was dead). But I'm 10 years younger than you

It was the post oil crisis Reagan/Thatcher/Brezhnev world .. Still threatening nuclear holocaust, but offering little in terms of hope. The 80s where quite something

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    It is the Bizarro Let it Be. Happy Beatles, playing and larking, having fun. Even Yoko Ono is nice.

It will be insufferable. Peter Jackson does not do nuance.
    Does look like like fan service , doesn't it

User Info Menu

Back to the movie clips... I thought the lads were - judging by the Abbey Road film - moody, not talking, grumpy, etc, but here they are all smiling, very happy, the shot with Ringo and John walking with arms around each other's back is charming. I'm looking forward to the rest of the film, and Billy Preston is always worth the price of admission.

User Info Menu

I think the continuing obsession (even among people born after the group dissolved) with a moderately talented and highly derivative English band that lasted around a decade and probably only had something mildly original and minimally valuable to say for maybe 2 years at most is an indication of the artistic and musical wasteland that was the ensuing half decade of popular “music” from 1970-2020...
    I think that Jackson's project isn't meant to appeal to people that don't, or didn't, dig The Beatles regardless of what year it is now.

User Info Menu

Jackson will do for Beatles fans what his WW1 movie did for military history fans.

"They Shall Not Grow Old"--highly recommended.

User Info Menu

I saw the "trailer" above. Looks fun.

I am not anti-Yoko by any means, but I have to say if I were a bandmember of John's, having her right there in their personal recording space would be a real problem.

I always thought it was an unwritten rule that girlfriends-boyfriends-friends-groupies-lawyers or whoever is invited has to stay in the recording booth, or at least in the shadows.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff

I am not anti-Yoko by any means, but I have to say if I were a bandmember of John's, having her right there in their personal recording space would be a real problem.

I always thought it was an unwritten rule that girlfriends-boyfriends-friends-groupies-lawyers or whoever is invited has to stay in the recording booth, or at least in the shadows.
    Looks like Linda is there too?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff

I thought that rule was created because of Yoko...

User Info Menu

Get back home, Loretta.

User Info Menu

looking forward to it ....
    I’m a big Beatles fan
    Its why I play a guitar (i’m 64 now)

from the first time I heard that chord
    at the top of ‘A Hard Days Night’

i was captured ....