Posts 26 to 40 of 40

User Info Menu

Not exactly metal, but close enough..

Also classic videos..

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

New Carcass is good

Gotta love the song title

User Info Menu

Ah dear old Carcass. Proper vegan cover art. Spicy!

can we talk about Iggor on this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    A

can we talk about Iggor on this thread?
    Had to Google, worried that he killed someone or burned a church or something

Sepultura was great back in the day

User Info Menu

My fault, I meant Igorrr nor Iggor

WHAT. A. N00B.

User Info Menu

Just an interesting tidbit:

The late metal drummer Nick Menza of Megadeth was the son of the incredible jazz legend Don Menza, who I have worked with only because we are from the same town. (I am not worthy ) With Buddy Rich, Don recorded the famous circular breathing solo on "Channel One Suite." Horrible about Nick's death, way too young to die, and was an awesome drummer, Don is devastated.

Two amazing father and son musicians in completely different genres. A bunch of links here for you to absorb. For hard core jazzers, check out Don's solo in the last vid at around 1:30.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...sing-on-stage/

Nick Menza - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Menza

Last edited by Woody Sound; 09-22-2021 at 09:09 AM.

User Info Menu

I enjoy a lot of metal but my ears can't stand a lot of the vocals. Little tolerance for disgusting/offensive lyrics. Too much death growl and that's it.

One of my favorite metal guitarists is Ron Jarzombek. His soundtrack to this King Kong scene is way superior to the original and makes it so much more frightening:

Here is one of his 12-tone techniques. Simply don't understand how a mind like this works:

Earlier metal singers tended to sing along with the riff, which becomes harder as the music sped up and got more complex
    Clean singing generally does not work on death or black metal - the melody is all in the riffs, so no need for the singer to carry it, helps to look at the voice as a color / percussion instrument

How else are you going to sing to stuff like this?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BWV
    Earlier metal singers tended to sing along with the riff, which becomes harder as the music sped up and got more complex
    Clean singing generally does not work on death or black metal - the melody is all in the riffs, so no need for the singer to carry it, helps to look at the voice as a color / percussion instrument

How else are you going to sing to stuff like this?

Yeah, big thumbs up on that meshuggah video. I've watched it a bunch of times and it is mesmerizing.

User Info Menu

I like the other extreme.

User Info Menu

I pulled my listening history for the last few years. It turns out I’ve listened to Emperor/Ihsahn easily more than anything else over that time.

User Info Menu

I like a few metal acts, here and there. I think my favorite "current" groups are Deafheaven and Dragged Into Sunlight, the latter of which I think fits the "extreme" category.

User Info Menu

While my rocking days are long past now, I can't let a thread like this go by w/out giving a shout out to my fallen friend Dimebag Darrell! RIP brother! -RF

User Info Menu

Awesome to see an extreme metal thread in a jazz guitar forum.. . I really enjoy Car Bomb these days, they have a type of insanity that I've rarely heard in metal, but what do I know. Good to see Ron Jarzombek appear in this thread.